How important is the Cup in deciding who get into the HOF?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Many people consider the Stanley Cup as the deciding factor in separating the Hall of Very Good from the Hall of Fame. A player that comes to mind in this is Roberto Luongo. He has the numbers, but no ring. It's an important factor for sure, but does it get too much credit when determining a players candidacy?

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Many people consider the Stanley Cup as the deciding factor in separating the Hall of Very Good from the Hall of Fame. A player that comes to mind in this is Roberto Luongo. He has the numbers, but no ring. It's an important factor for sure, but does it get too much credit when determining a players candidacy?

Too much. The Cup is a team effort. As is every championship in this sport. One should be judged how he played, not how his teammates played. And if you often had dissapointing showings in the PO:s for sure, that should play an role. If the sample size is big enough.

Not even Lemieux, Orr, Gretzky or Howe singlehanded won an SC. Even if Gretzky in 1993 could be argued getting as close as it gets when the Kings were runner ups. And even the greatest goalie runs had others playing great and stepping up. Even what the legends tell...

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Well since it's a team award and hall of fame is for an individual player, I would say it's accounted too much. I could see it helping someones resume, but it shouldn't be considered a deciding factor of someone getting in or not

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A HOF career takes three things into consideration IMO: championships, longevity, records/awards. If a player is deficient in championships (or any area) then he needs to be exceptional in the other two categories.

I don't see how one Cup can be the deciding factor. If one heavily weighs winning a Cup then just one doesn't cut it, he should have won several if getting a team to the finish line is that critically important and indicative of a HOF type player. One Cup could be the mark of other guys around him or a team win, coaching, a miracle run, etc.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I'm pretty sure the Cup is an inanimate object that can't speak to the merits or demerits of a player.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There are many NHL players who never "won it all", but are in. It helps, but if you have the numbers, you will more than likely get in eventually. In the NBA, people make a big fuss about how many rings a player has, but in the end, again, if you have the numbers you will get into that HOF eventually as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad