How important is defense? Ayres let in one fewer goal than Andersen when he came in

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
And Dubas doesn’t want to acknowledge this...

Oh he knows. He doesn't have a choice now. He won't fully abandon his vision, and he shouldn't, since this team is young and there is much upside. He absolutely has to change the culture from focusing only on flash, to celebrating lunch pail hockey. At the very least, on the back end. This also means accountability, no more "blame the coach" bs.

Not every good team has the most talent, but every good team have guys willing to sacrifice and will themselves to victory. That is the nature of hockey (and most sports).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Oh he knows. He doesn't have a choice now. He won't fully abandon his vision, and he shouldn't, since this team is young and there is much upside. He absolutely had to change the culture from focusing only on flash, to celebrating lunch pail hockey. At the very least, on the back end.

Not every good team has the most talent, but every good team have guys willing to sacrifice and will themselves to victory. That is the nature of hockey (and most sports).

I don’t even care about this...

but when Dubas fires Babcock, he defending his “no defence” vision, saying wishy-washy stuff like ‘you don’t have to defend if you have the puck all the time’. It really made me question whether he understood the game of hockey...

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
The Canes helped someone they didn’t even know be part of their team's success. Teamwork, character, sportsmanship. What a night to watch hockey and learn some lessons! The D formed a brick wall for that guy. A guy they didn't even KNOW!
The Leafs sadly, have none of these qualities.
It is embarrassing.
Dubas couldn't even watch it.
At one point we had 30 million on the ice and they couldn't get a goal (not even a shot) against a Zamboni driver. Let's all let that sink in.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don’t even care about this...

but when Dubas fires Babcock, he defending his “no defence” vision, saying wishy-washy stuff like ‘you don’t have to defend if you have the puck all the time’. It really made me question whether he understood the game of hockey...

Well, I don't know if he said that. It might be out of context. Maybe he thinks he can apply some advanced stats moneyball to hockey as the A's did.

What works in juniors won't work in the NHL. Players come to beat the Leafs just as International teams come to beat team Canada. They rise to the occasion.

They like beating the Leafs, many of them in front of their own families. They especially like them when they re the talk of the town, the flashy, young players who rule the roost.

The Leafs team in my lifetime who have been successful all had a compete level that was high. Some teams were off the charts. They had skill, but it was surrounded with heart. Much of the heart came from those with skill.

He just has to focus on the back end for now. It's the vital short term solution. In the offseason, he can decide if this team as a group will have it or not going forward. I think he gets another year to try.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
team d is very important but at the same time Anderson has to pull his own weight. He is solid when he’s in the zone and below average at best when he is not

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
*Team dominates offensively; gets 47 shots and 6 goals*

"Defense wins games"

:huh:
Which team had the better defensive play in this Zamboni Goalie game?

Not the team that surrendered 47 shots on goal, the Leafs allowed 38 shots on goal by the end of the 2nd period. That is a total team effort, or lack of.

Playing defense in the NHL is about working hard, forwards particularly.

Spoiled rich punks.

:nopity:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I couldn't help but laugh when Engvall skated out of the DZ but he didn't have options so he turned back went into DZ and did his little curl back, went to make the pass, and his stick shattered resulting in additional OZ time for Hurricanes.

I get the whole puck possession scheme. I like it. But situational awareness my dudes. C'mon man. You can still occasionally gain the red line and dump it or something.

Defense isn't hard. The players are just lazy and don't want to put in the work required to get the puck back. Second they aren't conditioned as is obvious based on inability to play more than one period in any large sample of games. Their only focus is pretty offense, pretty offense, and more pretty offense. Problem now is offense is gone and they're really not that pretty tbh.

When you're supposed to be a "contender" and you're bottom 3 in goals against with the likes of Wings & Sens, that's just sad.

Reactions: Kurtz

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
40 million dollars stumped...

by a zamboni driver who is employed by your AHL affiliate. Remind me again how blessed we are to have William Nylander?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Current and ex NHL players can't believe what historically embarrassing losers the Leafs, Keefe, and Dubas are...it's jaw dropping incompetence. And our loser GM made Marner the 2nd highest paid winger in the league.

Kyle Dubas might actually be the worst GM in NHL history. Mike Millbury would have found a way to win that game.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Which team had the better offensive play?

Carolina won more on offense than they did on defense, which makes "defense wins games" quite a weird thing to say afterwards.
This is an awful take. Carolina’s defense won this game. Toronto could have scored on every other shot if they had the ability to create a decent shot.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Dubas has a bunch of pre-conversion Steve Yzerman types who only care about numbers. If he can get them to flip the switch like Stevie Y did, look the eff out.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
This is an awful take. Carolina’s defense won this game. Toronto could have scored on every other shot if they had the ability to create a decent shot.
Don’t worry about what this guy says. It only ever paints Toronto in their poop not stinking colours.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This Canes team had next to nothing offensively last year and went to the east final. That tells you how important defense is.
Carolina was #1 in the league in expected goals for last year, and are 1st again this year, by quite a significant margin.

They may lack some finishing ability, but generating offense is in reality Carolina's strength.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Carolina was #1 in the league in expected goals for last year, and are 1st again this year, by quite a significant margin.

They may lack some finishing ability, but generating offense is in reality Carolina's strength.
I am so excited you are awake and active. I am absolutely effing dying to watch you try and put a good spin on the Saturday debacle.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, every other shot was not going to go in, regardless of who was in net. Carolina won the game with offense, with their 47 shots and 6 goals, including two quick ones in the 3rd to suck the life out of their opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad