How high can Montoya go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

Do any of you see Montoya cracking the top 3 if he has a very strong game against the Canucks? With Olesz's terrible injury, and Montoya standing on his head, whats the highest he could get drafted?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This tournament propelled Dipietro to first overall, however he was a bit more impressive in my opnion and beat out Luongo for top goalie honour.

That may also be happening to Montoya as MAF has been a non-factor due to Canada's dominance. Although Toivonen has been right up there.

The Rage

st_roland said:
Do any of you see Montoya cracking the top 3 if he has a very strong game against the Canucks? With Olesz's terrible injury, and Montoya standing on his head, whats the highest he could get drafted?

Top three? No way. Before the competition, some did not even consider him one of the top three goalies. He has played very well, but he has far from dominated. Also, I hear he has only been average for his college team. I think there is a chance he will go top 10, and be the top goalie drafted, but that's it.

The Rage

Don_Cherry said:
This tournament propelled Dipietro to first overall, however he was a bit more impressive in my opnion and beat out Luongo for top goalie honour.

Dipietro being taken first was a mistake, and NHL scouts will learn from that. I mean, there is no way Dipietro should have been taken ahead of Gaborik or Heatley.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The Rage said:
Dipietro being taken first was a mistake, and NHL scouts will learn from that. I mean, there is no way Dipietro should have been taken ahead of Gaborik or Heatley.

Time will tell, he's still going to be an elite level goaltender but obviously right now he's not in the same galaxy as Heatley or Gaborik. As for Montoya, there's no prayer that he'll go first or second, probably not in the top half of the first round.

But my point was a lot of eyes are opened with a good tournament. He'll be watched more closely from here on in and depending on his season a lot can happen for him.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
The Rage said:

Imagine that Milbury could have had Heatley AND Luongo instead of Dipietro and Kvasha.

If I'm the owner of the Islanders, not only do I have Milbury fired for this move, I have him killed and dumped in a ditch next to the LIE.

The Rage

Don_Cherry said:
Time will tell, he's still going to be an elite level goaltender but obviously right now he's not in the same galaxy as Heatley or Gaborik. As for Montoya, there's no prayer that he'll go first or second, probably not in the top half of the first round.

But my point was a lot of eyes are opened with a good tournament. He'll be watched more closely from here on in and depending on his season a lot can happen for him.

I'd agree with that, but I seriously disagreed with the opinion that Montoya would be a top 3 pick. That's not even close to being possible (based on what we've seen so far).

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
Montoya has definately helped himself with his WJC performance, it remains to be seen if he can continue to play at that level. Before he left for Finland, he was rather inconsistant for Michigan and looked shakier than he did last year. The proverbial sophomore slump. Hopefully he can continue his stellar play into the second half of the season for the Wolverines.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hope no GM is dumb enough to take Montoya in the top 3.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a wonderful prospect, but it's such a waste to go with a goalie so early. Goalies take so long to develop anyway, and there are so many quality goalies out there, that it seems almost foolish to go for a goalie when you can get a franchise defenseman or forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad