How has Tanev been?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I think the big issue here is Rutherford made two blunders in Hunwick and JJ two years in a row on top of the Reaves deal. There was a ton of contention from a bunch of us and when you see a 25ish pt player who played on one of the best bottom six lines in the league you question if he would have that success. Especially with the term. Now we are seeing Lowry fall apart without the Copp and Tanev pairing.

Tanev, Kahun, even Galchenyuk have all changed that tide extremely.

Ahhhh that's a good point. I didn't take into account the whole "been through this before" mentality. It wears ya down.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wait, what? I'm confused. Something is turning out to be good, which means that people who said it was going to be good were wrong and those said it was bad, were right, even though they said something that was wrong. Help me out here.
@NMK11

And apparently "at the time it was laughably bad" means it's still bad - despite "proving a lot of people wrong". :laugh:

Just because something works out well in the end, to me, doesn't make the original deal better. Evaluate a player in the present, but evaluate a trade/signing in the past.
:facepalm:

RSPens

May 25, 2015
It'd be great if he scored a little more, but with everything else he does, it's not a necessity. What I also like about Tanev is that he is never or almost never caught out on a long shift. He is almost always the first to change. It is what you need in a leader and if it wasn't for Sid, Geno, Letang, he would be a great C or A on any team. I wish Geno would pay more attention to Tanev's shifts. Geno seems to get caught on long shifts often. Sure Geno is a guy you want on the ice, but he should never be on for more than 40sec at a time in an OT.

Reactions: hn777

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You're a clown dude. I rarely even post around here precisely because the "takes" are reactionary and largely based on emotion.

Other than me holding Murray to the same ****ing standard Fleury got around here (which was brutal) I literally have never had a bad take on the Pens, players or coaches. And why? Because I don't make decisions and form opinions based on emotion. It works, you should try it.

I am hard on Murray because many here proclaimed him the 2nd coming after 2017 and since then he hasn't even had a resume that looks like a starting goalie, especially when you consider we're trying to win before 87 and 71 hit their golden years. When MAF was here he rightfully deserved A LOT of flak. People were brutal and at times he deserved it. I was right there with everyone. But now I literally watch those same people make the same tired excuses the facebook and casual Pens fans would for MAF. "Defense", "daddy passed away 2 years ago", "injuries", blah, blah, blah. If you think that equates "says stupid ****" then I don't know what else to tell ya bub.

I find it comical that another blowhard, pixies would hit the "like" button on your nonsense when he/she literally started a thread clowning a few people about Rust. As if that is mature. :rolleyes: I considered starting a like thread about Tanev who was trashed by you (plus pixies who probably had about 500 posts on the subject) and most of the rest of the board before the ink had even dried on his deal.

But the worst was enduring and reading the crap about JR and Sullivan. JR literally got into the HOF precisely because of what he's done here. You know fixing the massive **** show that Shero left. And he did it relatively quickly and is still largely hitting home runs as a GM. Sure, he's had a few bad signings/trades but that is true of any GM, ever. Most don't have his resume. In the history of hockey. Let THAT sink in.

And yet the masses wanted him shot into the sun because we didn't win Cup 3 and 4 in a row.

Dude you’re so cool.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's been good, but my issue has always been more with the term than the price. Will he be this good three-four years from now? We shall see.

Love the player, hope he can keep it up.

Reactions: molon labe

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He's been good, but my issue has always been more with the term than the price. Will he be this good three-four years from now? We shall see.

This about sums it up.

This forum - and most of the hockey media - love to jump all over hot topics. He's been really good here - Panarin has been great in NYC. Will these 20 games matter one iota in 2-3 years if both of them fall off a cliff?

The one thing I'll say about Tanev as a Penguin - is that the coach, AT&T Sportsnet, and others - have completely ruined his ability to draw penalties. They hyped that aspect of his game so much that I have watched legitimate penalties get ignored with him for the past 10 or so games because refs are on to his game. They should have let that remain low-key but couldn't help themselves. Just like Hornqvist is allowed to be murdered in front of the net...we're going to get multiple years of Tanev getting abused (and often trying to draw penalties) without getting calls....because he's getting to be known as a flopper.

Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You could at least @ me if you are going to talk about me @ImporterExporter. ;)

Also, as always I’m typically willing to acknowledge I was wrong to everyone on this board but @Soggy Biscuit because our relationship is better that way.

As the resident Clown Prince of Grime, I find the comparison of @pixiesfanyo to clowns laughable. I bet you don’t even own a tiny car, nor are you down with Boy Better Know.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This about sums it up.

This forum - and most of the hockey media - love to jump all over hot topics. He's been really good here - Panarin has been great in NYC. Will these 20 games matter one iota in 2-3 years if both of them fall off a cliff?

The one thing I'll say about Tanev as a Penguin - is that the coach, AT&T Sportsnet, and others - have completely ruined his ability to draw penalties. They hyped that aspect of his game so much that I have watched legitimate penalties get ignored with him for the past 10 or so games because refs are on to his game. They should have let that remain low-key but couldn't help themselves. Just like Hornqvist is allowed to be murdered in front of the net...we're going to get multiple years of Tanev getting abused (and often trying to draw penalties) without getting calls....because he's getting to be known as a flopper.

That had more to do with the fact that NHL refs should be hunted for sport than anything else.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think, and people may disagree which is fine, that a) a player, b) a player plus his contract, and c) whatever deal brought the player here can all be different things and can be evaluated differently. Just because something works out well in the end, to me, doesn't make the original deal better. Evaluate a player in the present, but evaluate a trade/signing in the past.

It's easier to look at with trades, so example: JR manages to trade ZAR to Anaheim for two first round picks. Crazy? Maybe, but pretend that ZAR ends up scoring 30-40 goals for the next 5 years while playing good two way hockey. Now, this is an extreme example, but clearly five years down the road ZAR may be a superstar and you could argue is worth two firsts particularly if they were late firsts. But at the time, trading two firsts for a fourth liner is bad. Analyzing it retrospectively doesn't change that fact to me. The counter example would be if JR trades Malkin for two firsts (say this happened a few years ago), but then Malkin goes elsewhere and puts up 30-40 pts (not goals) for the next 5 years. Any team would have made that trade because it's a good deal. Just because he plays poorly doesn't mean the trade at the time was poor.

Tanev has been good for us, I hope that continues, and if he keeps playing like this it's going to be and awesome signing. I'm comfortable in saying I was wrong about what he could do here. But I don't think the signing was good at the time and still need to see if it's going to hold up. It's probably a bit esoteric of a stance, but that's how I look at things.

I think there is some fairness to this but only some; I think the ends do justify the means more than you seem to accept here, particularly when it comes to free agency and its just a straight bet on how much money can the player justify and for how long. If you make a bet that a player has more to give and are right, then it's a good bet.

And while we're certainly a long long way away from knowing whether Tanev was a good contract beginning to end, I suspect most of us would have happily paid more than 3.5m to get what we're currently getting with Tanev.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This about sums it up.

The difference between the two is around 8m a year. Once Panarin stops being effective offensively he's done and NYC is f***ed. If Tanev falls off a cliff, you have a 3.5m guy who will play on L4 and likely still PK. That's obviously not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world. If you're forced to do the same with Panarin you're in big trouble and likely struggling mightily with the cap.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think there is some fairness to this but only some; I think the ends do justify the means more than you seem to accept here, particularly when it comes to free agency and its just a straight bet on how much money can the player justify and for how long. If you make a bet that a player has more to give and are right, then it's a good bet.

And while we're certainly a long long way away from knowing whether Tanev was a good contract beginning to end, I suspect most of us would have happily paid more than 3.5m to get what we're currently getting with Tanev.
Fair enough. Maybe a little less pertinent for free agency than I'm expressing, but I do find it interesting how when it's the opposite, a player underperforming a trade or contract, people who originally thought it was a good deal turn around and bash it when it was a move just about everyone would have made. I know I'm in the minority so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway you look at it Tanev is playing just like we need him to. Hope he keeps it up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fair enough. Maybe a little less pertinent for free agency than I'm expressing, but I do find it interesting how when it's the opposite, a player underperforming a trade or contract, people who originally thought it was a good deal turn around and bash it when it was a move just about everyone would have made. I know I'm in the minority so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway you look at it Tanev is playing just like we need him to. Hope he keeps it up.

I'm not sure you are a minority on trades or if you are, its a sizeable minority. I'd be interested to see what a poll on Brassard here would say if you gave the options Liked It At The Time But Terrible Trade, Good Trade but Terrible Outcome, and I Was Never Happy About It Anyway.

Mind you... I hated the risk but once I thought about it, I didn't think Tanev's contract was that awful anyway.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

When Sid and Geno are in their mid to late 30's is it even going to matter? Who even knows if they'll still be playing?

This team isn't going to remain competitive forever, so at some point we're going to need some top-5 picks to restart the cycle. I'd much rather the team stink for a few years and stockpile some high-end picks than try to remain competitive through free agency and be a mediocre team. I don't see any scenario really where Tanev's contract is going to hurt the team. He'll help get to the salary cap floor, and will probably be a player who helps to show the new generation things like work ethic and professionalism.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pretty universally adored, I'd say.

For me, personally, I'd like to see what he could do for a Sid-Jake tandem. May not be much, but he may also be the Dupuis that I think they need.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm not sure you are a minority on trades or if you are, its a sizeable minority. I'd be interested to see what a poll on Brassard here would say if you gave the options Liked It At The Time But Terrible Trade, Good Trade but Terrible Outcome, and I Was Never Happy About It Anyway.

Mind you... I hated the risk but once I thought about it, I didn't think Tanev's contract was that awful anyway.

Im guessing he meant that as that player started off great here but faded at the end. Like Kunitz for example.

Brassard was a great addition on paper but never had any success here.

As for Tanev, I only liked it cuz I knew we desperately needed a player like him. The points are a bonus.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Contract is still too long or too much but he’s a spark plug who hasn’t scored a ton but the ones he score are beauties. Solid addition with an unfortunate asterisk.

Hasn't scored a tonne? He's on pace for over 40 points. If he finishes anywhere close to 40 points to go along with the other stuff he does, that's going to be a steal of a contract.

Reactions: td_ice and Peat

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
When Sid and Geno are in their mid to late 30's is it even going to matter? Who even knows if they'll still be playing?

This team isn't going to remain competitive forever, so at some point we're going to need some top-5 picks to restart the cycle. I'd much rather the team stink for a few years and stockpile some high-end picks than try to remain competitive through free agency and be a mediocre team. I don't see any scenario really where Tanev's contract is going to hurt the team. He'll help get to the salary cap floor, and will probably be a player who helps to show the new generation things like work ethic and professionalism.

Sid/Geno late 30s become 2nd tier players but still at or near that elite level. Id still predict they put up a PPG or close to it. Maybe not each year and depends on injuries but I see 70-80 pts.

That also depends on the linemates. We are set with Guentzel. Hopefully Poulin is the next. McCann could be(at age 28-30) . Kahun could be(age 30-32). Rust could still be around for a few more years. Who knows with him.

Hopefully we hit on one of Legare/Hallander. But yeah we def need to keep our first round picks from now on. Would start to look to trade up as well if we do finish in 20s...up closer to 10 or so for that higher end prospect.

Biggest thing tho is making sure Geno sticks around after his contract is up. We'll see about Letang. All depends on others ..like Addison, POJ, and whoever else we get the next few years before we would have to make the decision to move him or not. Hes someone we better get a return on if we trade. But I cant see them doing that with Malkin. Theyd prob let him get to FA.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Just out of curiosity, who were the players this board wanted to get instead? I remember people being crushed by Tanev's hit because we wanted some other players, but I don't remember who exactly they were.

I'm just curious how those other UFAs are working out for their respective teams.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just out of curiosity, who were the players this board wanted to get instead? I remember people being crushed by Tanev's hit because we wanted some other players, but I don't remember who exactly they were.

I'm just curious how those other UFAs are working out for their respective teams.

I wanted Donskoi and he has 18 in 24 for 3.5m so I still do but not at the expense of Tanev.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He's slow, lethargic, and lacks any enthusiasm, intensity or drive. What a terrible disappointment he's been.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wanted Donskoi and he has 18 in 24 for 3.5m so I still do but not at the expense of Tanev.

Right, I remember that. Yeah, Donskoi would have been great here too. But there was someone everyone was super mad we didn't sign because of Tanev and I can't remember who it was and the search engine here is pretty much ass.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Right, I remember that. Yeah, Donskoi would have been great here too. But there was someone everyone was super mad we didn't sign because of Tanev and I can't remember who it was and the search engine here is pretty much ass.
Ferland?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Gusev? Dzingel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad