How has Joe Thornton looked for Canada ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik*

kytem2 said:
I've only seen one game in the Olympics thus far (Canada versus Switzerland), and am just looking for some objective observations on Joe's play.

Thanks...
i think he has been a pretty big disappointment... i think both Sakic and Richards have been playing ebtter down the middle

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
IMO, he's been virtually invisible, but that's not saying a lot considering 90% of the players on the team fit the same bill. His passes aren't that crisp and he seems to hold onto the puck too long, causing turnovers. He does show some immense skill in his puck possession game, but you can't hold onto the thing forever. To sum it up, he isn't playing that smart.

I remember one play, I think against Finland, where Canada was on the PP, possibly nearing the end of the period, and were trying to break out of their own zone. Defenseman on the right boards at his blueline tries to make a cross ice pass to the other blueline and gain entry into the zone and Thornton comes bolting back, intercepts the pass and skates back into his own zone, killing about another 15 seconds of their PP time.

But this isn't surprising to Bruins and Habs fans. Aside from a few sparks here and there, Thornton is known to disappear in big games.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
I'm not a big Thornton fan, but you guys are harsh.

Thornton is not the only one who struggles right now. Almost entire team struggle.

If you say "Yes, I knew he would struggle in a big game like this!" then what will you say about Jarome "supposed to be a big game performer" Iginla this time?

Just wait and see. He's only 26, not 40 or something. He stil has plenty of time to prove himself. Actually, I heard he played pretty well during 04-05 Swiss League playoffs, and you guys can't deny he was one of the best players in the tournament in World Championship 2005.

Briere03

Jun 26, 2005
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The whole team is stuggling to find its identity, and it is not fair to point out Thornton.

Nobody really stands out in my mind right now, so you cant really point the finger.

The lines dont really help either, put Thornton back with Heatley, him with Doan and Bertuzzi is a complete waste, they are three of the same players.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Invisible for the most part which is both bad and good. I mean he doesn't seem to hit, he doesn't dominate. But he doesn't make mistakes either. He's made some good plays, but to this point in his career he is not a gamer yet.

Big Mama*

He had a brutal turnover in the game today. Other than that he has been invisible.

Sakic Richards Lecavalier have been better.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Has he done ANYTHING even strength?

And when was the last time he finished a check?

Not really his fault when they're losing possession in the neutral zone.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Jimmi Jenkins said:
Good as a winger, too bad he's playing center. He couldn't win a draw with a one armed 8 year old girl

Forgot about that.

Also, everytime I see him with the puck along the hashmarks I want to stab myself

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Thornton has really disappointed me, not because of his lack of production (which has been non-existant), but the fact he's being really lazy out there. I understand some guys are just snakebitten at tournaments, or just don't get the bounces. But Thornton just doesn't seem to be trying that hard out there. When he's on the puck he's really tough to get it from, but he's not skating, hitting and is trying to force bad passes out there. I really hope he can get it going now that Prelims. are over because he's the type of guy who's gonna need to step up for Canada to get to the gold. Stats don't even matter, as long as he plays to the best of his ablilities it will make his line, and the team that much better.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Considering that Joe played last season in Europe and combined with his efforts at he World Championships I´m rather surprised by his poor performance so far. But there are a few games left to be played for Team Canada - possibly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
kytem2 said:
I've only seen one game in the Olympics thus far (Canada versus Switzerland), and am just looking for some objective observations on Joe's play.

Thanks...

Like he does in the nhl playoffs. Which should be no surprise to anyone. Based on his talent he is prolbably the biggest choker in the nhl.

They should put him on the 4th line with Smyth, Draper and Doan make them a checking line like in the world cup. If he simplifies his game and realises he isnt a go to guy in a pressure situation we might actually see some results.

usual suspects

Jan 2, 2006
Fredericton, NB
Joe is one of my favourite players but his biggest problem this tournament has been his inability to win a faceoff when it counts. Everyone is not playing well but this is one thing that stands out for me on all the players. He is just handing over puck possession to the other team and by doing so can't get anything going. He also has not been able to setup shop being the net and normally has guys draped all over him and just pushes thme off. He hasn't been doing it or has not had the chance too. not sure which one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->