How has Backstrom played?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Steve Latin*, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Steve Latin*

Steve Latin* Guest

Is he looking like a guy who is worth the second overall pick in the draft? What sort of minutes is he logging, and how has he contributed to Sweden's success?

2. Freudian

Freudian Clearly deranged

Pretty well. Good hockey sense, it seems. Looking for the pass a bit too much for my liking, but that is something most swedish players do at that age.

3. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Registered User

Yes, he is doing very well but needs to shot more. He have a good shot but tend to pass the puck.

4. Lars

Lars Registered User

None
    Backstrom > Kessel, Staal, Toews :)

5. SChan*

SChan* Guest

played very well. Was a little unlucky for not getting any points. He had some great setups though.

6. Predatore

Predatore Registered User

Founder / Business Manager
    Home Page:
    I was very impressed with Bäckström's play in this tournament. Too bad he did not get a point. He played on the top line, played on the pk unit, on the pp and looked like a 30-year old veteran and not like a 18-year teenager.

At age 18, this is Bäckström's Career Highlights:
    - U18 WJC Bronze medal 04/05
    - World Championship Gold medal 05/06
    - Youngest Swedish player ever in the World Championship (18 years, 6 months) 05/06
    - Ã…rets Junior (junior hockey player of the year) 05/06
    - Elitserien Rookie of the Year 05/06

7. Rise from the Ashes

Rise from the Ashes Price defies corsi

Impressive, i heard he signed a 2 year deal with a Swedish club....

8. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

I'd say that he played very well, though he got too cute at the end, but hey, if you're up 4-0 thats not a big deal. He could very well have had a few assist and a goal or two in the few games that he played. Not bad at all considering his age. He'll be a good one.

9. PockIsGoD

PockIsGoD Registered User

I was very impressed by his confidence, poise and hockey sense. Some say he doesn't shoot enough, but Forsberg was the same at that age. Is he worth the second overall selection? I don't know, I haven't seen enough of Kessel, Toews and others to judge, but Backstrom is a lock for the top 5.

10. Steve Latin*

Steve Latin* Guest

Sure, but keep in mind that Forsberg never scored more than 30 goals in a season.

11. Chimp

Chimp Registered User

Fiat currency grinder.
    He is a typhical, highly skilled and highly talented European playmaker. Great puckhandling and skating abilities. His trademark according to me are his saucer passes. He shows great skill in both open space and in closed compartments, so I don't think he will have any trouble adapting to the smaller rink.

He played very mature and with surprisingly low error percentage. He showed great skill in both the offensive and the defensive zone. He played in the first line, in PP and in PK.

He shows great promise, that's for sure. It's great for Swedish hockey.

And yes, he could get more physical (as most European players) and shoot some more (but who would shoot when you're 18 and have Zetterberg on the same line?).

12. Vikke

Vikke ViktorAllvin twitter

Home Page:
    He's the second coming of Zetterberg.

13. Fredrik

Fredrik Registered User

on-the-job-vacation
    Home Page:
    It's true but from what I understand the contract is running until April 2007. He signed the new contract midway through the season.

He plays for my favorite team so I've seen him a bit and what impresses me most is that he seems to elevate his game whenever needed. His progress this season has been remarkable and I don't know how good he will become.

14. KRM

KRM Registered User

He has chocked me this tournament. I had seen him play earlier and I know that he was very mature in his game and that he had a good vision and passing game. But what really suprised me was how good his defensive play and forechechking is. Sure he didn't get a point in this tournament but he played on the pk and sometimes looked like a shut down man out there.

Congratulations to the Gold and a great year Niklas :handclap:

15. Ola

Ola Registered User Sponsor

Lawyer
    I wouldn't call Niklas a traditional playmaker. He defenitly is a really modern player, kind of like Crosby in some sense's.

He reacts extremely fast and finds holes by getting in controll of the puck so fast that the D don't react in time. Its extremely hard to go into the corners and collect a bouncing puck while keeping a eye on the ice and delivering a puck fast, Crosby is tremendous at that, and Niklas plays that way too.

Crosby, Bergeron and the rests of a these new canadian players have brought a new dimension to the game. They are dooing what everyone in Canada said was weakness for Europeans, passing around the perimeter, passing when you have a opertunity to shoot ect. But Crosby and Co. are passing extremely fast and extremely well, I don't think there have been played faster hockey ever then we saw from Crosby and Bergeron this WCH. I've seen thoose tendensis with Bäckström too, maybe not in this WCH where he was a tad overwhelmed, but in the WJC (together with Bergfors) and for Brynäs.

Niklas is also really smart defensivly and works really hard without the puck. He is also not shy of physical hockey, I mean he leveled 220 lbs of Alexander Ovechkin his first game in the WCH.

On top of it all, Bäckström aren't a extremely early developt kid. I mean as late as last season he still skated like a normal kid, but have improved his skating by the week it seems since then. Some players comes in with a beared and a upper body like a greek god at the age of 18, Crosby's legs are the size of a 300 year old Oak. Was it Hamuis who looked like he was 30 when he was drafted? Anyway I defenitly expects Bäckström to still develop tremendously the next 2-3 years.

16. Teus

Teus Registered User

Home Page:
    Can also add that he was also nominated for Guldpucken (award for best Swedish hockey player playing in Sweden) this season. :)

17. hawksfan50

hawksfan50 Registered User

Its his hockey sense,beautiful passing skill/vision/anticipation,skating.agility,hard work and exceptional positioning in all 3 zones that lead to a mature complete hockey player-- yes--he needs to shoot more and be a bit more selfish to want to
    take more control of a game by himself--but at 18 he's a fine team player and played the role assigned to him well by Team Sweden--they had other vets who could score,so he wasn't expected to be a go to guy...but i think eventually he can be that for the NHL team that picks him...I think he's also consistently good --something a lot of the other top forward candidates in this draft are not ...yet.

He looks like he can step in to an NHL line-up NOW --and while he won't impact like a Crosby right away,he won't hurt your team with mistakes,I think he would contribute,and I think his numbers would improve each year thereafter...of course he'll be in Sweden 1 more year --but he looks now more NHL-ready than Kessel,Toews,or Staal--and that is saying something...

My impression at the WJHC was that he was the #1 forward in this draft --but I have since placed Toews ahead of him for 2 reasons: SIZE/STRENGTH and more importantly SHOT (which Toews started using more towards season's end and was so effective)...I would be happy if my Hawks took either of them at #3 as I see them as the best fits for the Hawks' needs...maybe Kessel and Staal have more upside--but they also may never reach potential..Toews and Backstrom are safer picks,3 zone players,team players,best hockey sense,and good face-off men...Both have more efficient shots than Kessel or Staal ---Toews,Backstrom and Staal all need to shoot more often...Staal right now is nowhere close to brother Eric on his shot and the jury is out if he will ever develop it--if he does then he could be Eric but more physical ...Toews is not as creative as Backstrom but like Staal will use his physical game to create chances,but better than Staal will also position better to release quicker and get off his good shot ...

Anyway --at #3--I think the Hawks should take Toews or Backstrom--an easy decision if only 1 of them is left on the board--but should either PITT or STL take Staal and the other Johnson--then it would be a tough decision in a Toews/Backstrom choice...the disaster would be taking Kessel at #3 --wrong player for the Hawks--maybe he'd star elsewhere--but him on the Hawks? I see another Yaremchuk bust at worst or a Tony amonte at best--which won't help the Hawks win bupkiss! Stall is a gamble--as to whether his offensive game develops like Eric or not--right know he's got the defensive part and physical cycle game down pat and is a great PK guy who can strip pucks off opponents and create 2 obn1 transitions--but otherwise is not creative in anticipation/vision+ offensive positioning and as a result lacks a consistent scoring presence-- and there is still a doubt about his shot ..it may develop --it may not...so,Staal is a gable on his potential...I don't think Towes or Backstrom involve any gamble --they can be stars but perhaps not superstars ...but there are no Crosby's or Malkin's or Ovechkin's among the best forwards in this draft--the only franchise guy I see now is the D-man Johnson --but Staal could be one IF he develops his offensive game.
    The Hawks cannot afford to gamble--they need to take either "safe" pick in Toews or Backstrom.

18. DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza Registered User

First, good post. Toews and Backstrom are my two Penguins draftee hopefuls also. And in reply to the quote, I guess the Pens could afford to gamble on a Kessel, but I think the all around game of the other two is better for the team anyways than a dynamo goal scorer.

Regarding Toews shot, we've had this debate on the Pens board, and I believe it was JJ (thread starter) who brought the same thing up. Overall, it might make Toews' potential a little higher right now, but I think I still lean towards Backstrom.

The professional experience is the deciding factor for me. It's one thing for a player to be playing on an SEL team, but the fact is Backstrom was WAY better than that. He was the top line center for a playoff team. I didn't even know what a Swedish poster mentioned a few posts above mine that he was nominated for the best Swedish player in the SEL; that is extremely impressive.

The bottom line for me is that Backstrom's pro experience not only makes him more NHL ready, but it also makes his NHL projection a lot simpler than other players. This guy is and will be great in all three zones. He will put up points, score goals, kill penalties, and be a strong defensive player, not just a solid one.

Vikke said it simply earlier in the thread - he is the second coming of Zetterberg. I agree with this, and Backstrom is surely my pick if I'm the Pens. I guess I can see the talk that he is a lock for the top 5. I don't know why he isn't being talked about as a consensus top 3 or 2 pick. I don't know what the other prospects bring that make them better or even as good as he is.

19. burgundyblue

burgundyblue Registered User

Ditto.
    He looked very impressive while playing on the 1st line.

20. Steve Latin*

Steve Latin* Guest

My guess is that we'll see him rise to #2 or #3 after scouts take his impressive WC into account. My guess at the final consensus top 5:

#1. Johnson
    #2. Backstrom
    #3. Toews
    #4. Kessel
    #5. Staal

21. DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza Registered User

I agree, at least that is my list.

I think it's still possible that Staal goes very high (too high IMO) and also someone could be tempted by Kessel.

22. hawksfan50

hawksfan50 Registered User

If Backstrom went #2 --that means PITT thought he was the top forward in the draft--confirming my own opinion that I had back in January after being so impressed with him at the WJHC (and so disapponted by Kessel)...Backstrom can step right into an NHL line-up right now even on a top two line AND NOT HURT HIS TEAM with mistakes and inconsistent play --such is his mature advanced play...

However---Toews is also a complete player--in January though he did not have a great WJHC --but he came on like gangbusters after that experience and was dominating games at the end of March and into April as North Dakota advanced to the Frozen four--he "started" to carry a team on his back and so we got a fist glimpse of his potential to come. He,unlike Backstrom,is not yet ready to step into an NHL lineup --but maybe if he really blossoms in his soph season at North Dakota
    as the glimpse of greatness we saw in the final month of last season,then maybe he can leave Wisconsin after his soph year...so he's probably only 1 year away.
    Though I just love Backstrom's game,Toews has the best pure shot of all these guys including Kessel..and the Hawks need for a scoring centre with a great shot is paramount --that is why I woould take him over Backstrom at #3 if both were still on the board...soo in one sense I hope PITT does take Backstrom as the post I'm replying to suggests--that makes it very easy to grab Toews with no remorse--at least I HOPE the Hawks would take him over Staal (Hawks can't wait 3 more years) or Kessel ( flashy--but not a complete player).

Jordan Staal is 3 years away at least--that's probably how long it will take for his
    offensive game to fully come around and co-ordinate with his huge body...He won't hurt an NHL team with many mistakes--so good is he defensiely--BUT his offense is so raw now that he doesn't deserve to be put on any NHL team's top 2 lines--and he cannot learn that offense checking on a 3rd or 4th line...so he's going to require 2 more yearsof Jr. plus probably a year in the AHL before he's ready --you do not wate such a high pick on a third line checking centre--so whoever picks him willhave to wait longest for him to "arrive"--if he ever does--as a big scorer...

23. eliasISawesome

eliasISawesome Registered User

Ive never seen Backstrom play, what similarties and difference does he and his fellow mate Bergfors compare?

24. Anthony Mauro

Anthony Mauro DraftBuzz Hockey

Home Page:
    Have you seen Staal play? If you have, you'd know he's extremely coordinated. He's got slick moves and dekes, can outskate and outhustle smaller quicker players to pucks, and has the puck on a string in close. Being such a big guy, and then seeing way he plays... I don't see how he gets these tags of being uncoordinated or extremely raw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.