How hard is it to find decent 3rd liners/4th liners?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The question is would carey price become a basket case too behind that defence.

that is the big question. but, using last night's game as an example, was our D really all that terrible? I didn't think so. LA's D gave up 3 goals and way more quality chances than ours. The Oil were all over them in the 2nd and the 3rd (when they weren't shorthanded).

The difference in the game? Their goalie clearly out-played ours.

I've been watching other team's mistakes lately, and guess what, they make them too. There has been one mistake-free player in history, Nick Lidstrom, and even that is a myth. I saw Doughty make a few turnovers last nite. I saw Crosby make a horrendous giveaway the other night. but, in neither case did they pay for it.

when the Oilers make a mistake, they pay for it about half the time. But they capitalize on a mistake very rarely.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Shouldn't be hard to find, just hard to find guys who want to sign for what a 3rd or 4th liner should make

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
Purcell/Roy/Yakupov was a decent second line for us to end the season last year. I thought they would make for a great third line this year.

Once everyone's back:

Hall/Drai/Purcell
Pouliot/McDavid/Yak
Hendricks/RNH/Eberle
Korp/Letestu/Lander

Korp can move up the lineup if needed, Lander/Letestu can sub in for key faceoffs.

No one will be complaining about the bottom six then.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Purcell/Roy/Yakupov was a decent second line for us to end the season last year. I thought they would make for a great third line this year.

Once everyone's back:

Hall/Drai/Purcell
Pouliot/McDavid/Yak
Hendricks/RNH/Eberle
Korp/Letestu/Lander

Korp can move up the lineup if needed, Lander/Letestu can sub in for key faceoffs.

No one will be complaining about the bottom six then.
Lander should be nowhere on the team if the team is healthy. Rather have Klink on the 4th line than Lander.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It's not too hard but usually teams do it over a few years and supplement with drafted players. Unfortunately, MacT and Lowe utterly failed apart from 1-2 guys so we're pretty much back to square one.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We need bottom 6 guys who can contribute on the scoreboard.. lander can gtfo right now. like the guy but he is looking like a flash in the pan. this feels like real lander

We have two elite offensive lines when McDavid gets back, for us to win more we need a bottom six who can really dig in and defend against the toughs and also hold possession on offense with an occasional goal.

Sadly at this point I don't think our bottom six can do either.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Doubt it... Chia wanted a right handed cheaper younger C and made Letestu happen.

Gordon's shoulder\durability was also questioned.

His shoulder looks fine right now and with his contract expiring after this season, how it held up long term doesn't really matter. Letestu is cheaper and younger, but when you take on an albatross contract like Korpikoski's which is also 1 year longer than Gordon's the whole talk of managing cap dollars goes out the window. To me Chia's inability to manage the cap was his greatest failing in Boston and was the main reason for Boston's quick fall from grace and was worsened by the lack of quality young players to fill holes that were created from poor cap management.

It seemed pretty clear they moved out Gordon to make room for Letestu, but why not just keep Gordon and sign Letestu and have him play wing, he played there before in Columbus, that would of improved our center depth in case of injury or given us the flexibility where we could bench Lander for a game without hurting our team.

I'm actually ok with our 4th line Hendricks, Letestu, and then either Korpikoski/Klinkhammer/Slepyshev/Pakarinen filling out the last spot is a servicable 4th line and on par with many other 4th lines around the league. The thing is assuming Korpikoski plays on the 4th line LW spot we are spending $6.15 million on our 4th line which is a ton of money to be allocated to that line. It's our 3rd line that I consider to be the train wreck.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
His shoulder looks fine right now and with his contract expiring after this season, how it held up long term doesn't really matter. Letestu is cheaper and younger, but when you take on an albatross contract like Korpikoski's which is also 1 year longer than Gordon's the whole talk of managing cap dollars goes out the window. To me Chia's inability to manage the cap was his greatest failing in Boston and was the main reason for Boston's quick fall from grace and was worsened by the lack of quality young players to fill holes that were created from poor cap management.

It seemed pretty clear they moved out Gordon to make room for Letestu, but why not just keep Gordon and sign Letestu and have him play wing, he played there before in Columbus, that would of improved our center depth in case of injury or given us the flexibility where we could bench Lander for a game without hurting our team.

I'm actually ok with our 4th line Hendricks, Letestu, and then either Korpikoski/Klinkhammer/Slepyshev/Pakarinen filling out the last spot is a servicable 4th line and on par with many other 4th lines around the league. The thing is assuming Korpikoski plays on the 4th line LW spot we are spending $6.15 million on our 4th line which is a ton of money to be allocated to that line. It's our 3rd line that I consider to be the train wreck.
It wasn't his shoulder that he had trouble with. He had back issues.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Boygo is the answer?

18 Games played
0 goals
1 assist.

Boygo is the answer?

Are you guys taking crazy pills? He fell off into Belanger territory.

$3million for 1 assist is not the answer. Whatever scraps Chia was able to get for him was worth it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Boygo is the answer?

18 Games played
0 goals
1 assist.

Boygo is the answer?

Are you guys taking crazy pills? He fell off into Belanger territory.

$3million for 1 assist is not the answer. Whatever scraps Chia was able to get for him was worth it.

I agree, not sure why people are clamoring for Gordon over Letestu. Letestu has done a comparable job to Gordon at a fraction of the cap hit.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think we've got some good 4th liners in Hendricks and Klink. Paka is a good option now too but I'm hoping he might turn to be a solid 3rd liner.

Landers needs to get his ass in gear and start putting points up. I think most of us were a lot more comfortable with our bottom six at the end of last season knowing that Lander was going to be centering the third line but his offence has been the biggest black whole on the team.

His offence and faceoff % has been so bad that he doesn't even need to worry about being in the team's doghouse. He can look forward to going straight to the AHL if we find a better option.

Really wonder if Edmonton puts 3 scoring lines out there when Mcdavid comes back if Lander can't find a way to score.

Hall-Hopkins-Hendricks
Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Paka-Draisatl-Eberle
Klinkhammer-Letesnu/Lander-Korp
Gazdic

That looks so weird. But if we were actually healthy there's a grinder or a big body, a playmaker and a sniper on every line.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
His offence and faceoff % has been so bad that he doesn't even need to worry about being in the team's doghouse. He can look forward to going straight to the AHL if we find a better option.

I agree that the total disappearance of Lander's scoring ability (again) is worrisome and might be indicative of the end of his promise as anything other than a 4th liner, but his faceoff ability is pretty much his biggest strength right now. He's been over 50% in most of his games, and he's currently top-20 in the NHL in faceoff percentage (with a reasonable number of draws taken).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree that the total disappearance of Lander's scoring ability (again) is worrisome and might be indicative of the end of his promise as anything other than a 4th liner, but his faceoff ability is pretty much his biggest strength right now. He's been over 50% in most of his games, and he's currently top-20 in the NHL in faceoff percentage (with a reasonable number of draws taken).

And if there is a stat for penalties drawn, he has to be near the top for that as well. The guy seems to be a magnet for getting tripped or hauled down, so he must be doing some things right. Mind you, he tried to give it all back in one period against the Kings.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad