How good would the Wings be with Semin and Carle?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Not buying it. Nobody in the NHL wanted him. Everybody wants a young 30-40 goal scorer on a one year contract, but nobody wanted him. That's enough to make you go Mhmmmm....

What do they know that we don't? Probably everything.

That's some funny logic there. So the guy who was closest to Syomin doesn't have a say in this, but the GMs whom we never get a word from overrule anything the players next to Sasha say? I call BS.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We would have just been better off trading for Jaybo like I said 100 times over

He would be making kronner look like a #5 dman in comparision to how they have both been playing this year and would actually be able to move and skate the puck up the ice and get it on to the sticks of our forwards

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Uh... It was the other way around. Washington had interest in resigning him, but Semin outright ruled Washington out, stating he wanted more responsibilities that the team for whatever reason wouldn't give him.

Semin's biggest problem was Ovechkin. He wanted the same role as AO, and as a same kind of right-handed sniper he could never have that spot at Capitals.

Also, if you think it from Capitals management side, 16 million in two Wingers would have been just stupid management. If you load the money somewhere, it's to center position (like they did adding Ribeiro, and Adam Oates kind of builds his team around playmakind centers) or to defence. You just don't put 16 million in two wingers under salary cap era, if you want to win.

Carolina lacked that kind of a guy (right-handed first line sniper, all the other big names there are lefties: E.Staal, Skinner, J.Staal, T.Ruutu etc.), and now Semin has found a good home from there.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Which I'm fine with. If lazey franzen has 9 points in 12 games... Lazy Semin with 11 points in 12 games is even better.

But not $3m a year better.

:phew: I made my kids leave the room before I started reading your response, didn't want them to see their old man break down in tears :)

Oh come on, Bricksey, I'm a gentle soul. Unless you piss me off. I'm more like Mickey; I'm nobody's "nemesis." ;)

It's definitely a tough call for me either way. Brunner panning out so far is certainly making up for not signing a premier scorer. I still don't like Franzen's term and think he'll be unproductive sooner rather than later, so I do hope that KH works on bringing in a younger scorer via trade or UFA (open the vault for Horton if the B's don't re-sign him). I'm also hoping that last season wasn't just Flip overachieving offensively, but I kinda think it was.

Right, and Brunner was the chance Holland took as opposed to signing Semin. Luckily it's paying off, but imagine the hindsight calls for Semin if it wasn't. Yeesh.

As far as Franzen goes, I don't like him at all; his motivation seems to wax and wane WAY too frequently, and he plays a lot smaller than he is. Hell, Tatar plays bigger than Franzen, and he's listed at 5'10"...

What really going to bake your noodle is when you realize Flip and Hudler will produce with anyone, as long as they're together. ;) I'm not trying to turn this into a Hudler thread, but a top-6 of Brunner-Datsyuk-_____ and Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler? Yeah, there wouldn't be much issue scoring.

Last edited:

CloneHakanPlease*

Right, and Brunner was the chance Holland took as opposed to signing Semin. Luckily it's paying off, but imagine the hindsight calls for Semin if it didn't?

While ive been pleasantly surprised by Brunner, I for one would be cautiously optimistic we arent just seeing him on an early hot streak. It just seems too good to be true. Ville Leino scored 9 points in his first 12 games too

Last edited by a moderator:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Oh come on, Bricksey, I'm a gentle soul. Unless you piss me off. I'm more like Mickey; I'm nobody's "nemesis." ;)

Ah, save your breath for cooling your porridge, RM...

Your parting shot in every argument here should be "You should **** off now while you still got the legs to carry you." There's really no coming back from that one. :nod:

What really going to bake your noodle is when you realize Flip and Hudler will produce with anyone, as long as they're together. ;) I'm not trying to turn this into a Hudler thread, but a top-6 of Brunner-Datsyuk-_____ and Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler? Yeah, there wouldn't be much issue scoring.

Consider my noodle sufficiently baked, then. I was okay with walking away from Hudler as long as the replacement brought more speed to the lineup. So far, Brunner has shown a lot more speed and decent playmaking ability also, just want to see him get stronger on his skates when he has the puck.

I still want to see an improvement in the spot on Datsyuk's wing currently occupied by Bert. Hoping KH is able to pull a trade or FA move for guy like Horton this off-season.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Ah, save your breath for cooling your porridge, RM...

Your parting shot in every argument here should be "You should **** off now while you still got the legs to carry you." There's really no coming back from that one. :nod:

At least I didn't call your mum a "tart." :box:

Consider my noodle sufficiently baked, then. I was okay with walking away from Hudler as long as the replacement brought more speed to the lineup. So far, Brunner has shown a lot more speed and decent playmaking ability also, just want to see him get stronger on his skates when he has the puck.

I still want to see an improvement in the spot on Datsyuk's wing currently occupied by Bert. Hoping KH is able to pull a trade or FA move for guy like Horton this off-season.

The sad thing is, Samuelsson was supposed to replace Hudler; for all intents and purposes, I think Holland was hoping Brunner would be Semin Lite -- which he is, so far.

Eh, enough about Hudler though. He won't be back for at least another year. ;)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Semin would look legendary in Red. Imagine the creativity between him Z, and Datsyuk? Hopefully they sign him next year on a one year. The Red Wings need to replace their Russian contingent, when is the last time they didnt have a Russian on the team? What will they do when Datsyuk retires. It will be a bad omen I think.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's some funny logic there. So the guy who was closest to Syomin doesn't have a say in this, but the GMs whom we never get a word from overrule anything the players next to Sasha say? I call BS.

Why can't you just admit that if Semin was so great he would have got a bigger contract?

It's not some GM conspiracy against him. The dude has issues. And that's fine, I would have taken his issues on a short term deal (I wanted to bold that as it gets lost in the shuffle), but to ignore them completely is willful ignorance.

Parise got the moon and stars thrown at him by every team in the league on July 1st. Semin got a few short term deals from a handful of teams that took almost a month to negotiate. Both age and statistically, those guys are not that far apart, so clearly there's something else at play.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Why can't you just admit that if Semin was so great he would have got a bigger contract?

It's not some GM conspiracy against him. The dude has issues. And that's fine, I would have taken his issues on a short term deal (I wanted to bold that as it gets lost in the shuffle), but to ignore them completely is willful ignorance.

Parise got the moon and stars thrown at him by every team in the league on July 1st. Semin got a few short term deals from a handful of teams that took almost a month to negotiate. Both age and statistically, those guys are not that far apart, so clearly there's something else at play.

Its really hard to imagine how a player so good on the ice can ruin the team so bad. I mean that is the fear right

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Its really hard to imagine how a player so good on the ice can ruin the team so bad. I mean that is the fear right

I don't know. All I know is Parise got a contract laced in diamonds and gold and Semin, with very similar career numbers, can't get a commitment.

And since I don't think GMs are in the business of passing on great players based upon TSN badmouthing, there's something up we don't know about. I haven't the foggiest idea, and like I said, I would totally risk a player of his level on a short deal. I think the Wings have a strong veteran and leadership group that can handle any bad eggs without too much fuss.

If the reports are true, nobody wanted him for more than 2 years. Where there's smoke, etc. etc. *shrug*

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Couldn't get past that part. Sorry.

R5b7K4W.jpg

sh49EwQ.jpg

kwNPFYi.jpg

What more could a girl want on this Valentine's day weekend?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
R5b7K4W.jpg

sh49EwQ.jpg

kwNPFYi.jpg

What more could a girl want on this Valentine's day weekend?

I think this picture fits the theme better:

alexander-semin.jpg

Also, apparently he really does enjoy showering his teammates with love:

"Sanya Ovechkin came up to me with a sly grin and smiled at me, 'Varlam, dude, congratulations!' I gave him a hug back, and at that moment I was hit (in) the face..."

"Alexander Semin," he was told

"So it was Sema?!! I'm glad I closed my eyes..."

varlycream3.bmp

No word on whether or not he had his mouth open and everything.

Guess he can't be ALL bad, right?

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
OP here. First, thanks to all posters for making this the first thread I ever started that has exceeded 3 replies. :laugh:

Being a Flyers fan first and foremost, and also having lived in the DC for several years during Semin's time there, I think there are misconceptions about both players.

Carle is a much better dman than most of the posters here are acknowledging. He definitely has some defensive lapses. He would have significantly helped the Wings transition game. Although I don't think he will, I would not be surprised to see Carle on the US olympic team next year.

Semin is an impressionable guy. He will always have off-nights because of his moodiness. But, on the positive side, I think he would be highly influenced by the Wings` culture of hard work and team play. Ultimately, the question is whether Semin would have made the Wings better (because the Wings had plenty of cap space for his salary). And I think there is no doubt he would have. The Wings top 6 has a major hole being filled by Bert.

CloneHakanPlease*

But but but......He's a locker room cancer :sarcasm:

Absolutely filthy pass

BUT HE DOESNT PLAY DEFENSE

/sarcasm off

So funny to see the vocal posters on these boards mysteriously absent from these threads. Semin is playing Selke level defense right now.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
The more I watch Semin in Carolina playing a solid 2 way game and making sick passes like above the more I want to cry. Especially when you look at our line up and one of the best play makers in the world is playing with DFC and Abdelkader.

:cry:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Hurricanes fanes have been more disappointed for Erik Staal's defensive game at this season. Tells something about Semin.

Let's keep this in perspective. Their previous best wing was Jussi Jokinen for years so yeah getting Semin is going to seem unbelievable. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad