How good would the Wings be with Semin and Carle?

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Holland missed out on Suter and Parise, but Semin and Carle were clearly available. He passed. Right now the team is looking decent, but these two additional above-average players would probably have made them SC contenders. That's incredibly frustrating.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This team will go as far as Datsyuk and Zetterberg carry it along with Howard being solid. I don't think that this makes them a great deal better, but I am sure it would help them a little. Want no part of Carle's contract, so actually very glad they missed on him. But that team still needs Howard, Datsyuk and Zetterberg to carry it.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Carle would have definitely improved the "offense from defense" aspect, and Semin would have been a nice trigger to have on the wing.

Probably a bit better, but not outlandishly better; neither player would be an improvement defensively on what we have now.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Neither player would move us from playoff team up to contender status. Carle is an okay #2/#3 dman, he's being paid #1 type money, I'd rather stay away from him. Semin on the other hand isn't really lighting the world on fire right now. It would give us more depth but I think we were better off avoiding Carle & maybe this offseason taking a gamble on Semin (hoping he has a poor year so we can get him on a cheap deal).

BeerLeagueAllStar

Dec 27, 2009
Vermont
I think we would be quite a bit better off with Semin playing on Datsyuk's wing rather than Sammy/Cleary, and what really stings is that Semin signed a 1-year deal. Carle would've been a slight improvement, but I wouldn't want him blocking some of the guys we'll have coming up in a couple years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Brunner is producing more than Semin and Ericsson almost as much as Carle.

Would either of those guys be getting as many minutes, and thus the opportunity to succeed, if the free agents were signed?

Like most people, I'd be more inclined to say Semin would help than Carle.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Neither player would move us from playoff team up to contender status. Carle is an okay #2/#3 dman, he's being paid #1 type money, I'd rather stay away from him. Semin on the other hand isn't really lighting the world on fire right now. It would give us more depth but I think we were better off avoiding Carle & maybe this offseason taking a gamble on Semin (hoping he has a poor year so we can get him on a cheap deal).

everything i've heard suggests the exact opposite

for example this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1331413&page=3

Alexander Semin- The elite winger E. Staal has always wanted/needed. He has a great shot, might have 8 goals if he didn't hit so many posts, and is also a great playmaker. He's been great defensively as well. I want a long term extension ASAP.

Alexander Semin - outstanding. Offensively he's the most talented player on the team right now, his defensive game is seriously underappreciated league wide, and he really seems to have bought in. He's clicking with Eric Staal nicely which has led to Eric's most productive start to a season since 2005-06's 100 point campaign. Grade: A, and only reason it's not an A+ is that we have to worry about re-signing him this offseason.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'd gladly have Semin for this year rather than the cap space.. Carle has from what I've seen been far from stellar defensively and he's worse than Kronwall offensively. On that contract, pass.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey eva, what are people saying about Hudler? I bet he's better than Semin.

There we go fellas, I lit the fuse.

RedWingsNow*

This team will go as far as Datsyuk and Zetterberg carry it along with Howard being solid. I don't think that this makes them a great deal better, but I am sure it would help them a little. Want no part of Carle's contract, so actually very glad they missed on him. But that team still needs Howard, Datsyuk and Zetterberg to carry it.

I partially agree with you -- regarding Carle's contract. Also not to thrilled with Semin's salary.

On the other hand, Alex Semin would have helped this team enormously.

Franzen Zetterberg Brunnder
Flip Datsyuk Semin

Or
Franzen Zetterberg Brunner
Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Bertuzzi Flip Cleary
Abdelkader Helm

Even with the injuries, it's not hard to see the improvement.

The really dumb thing about Brunner with Z is that...

If you wanted a right-handed shooter, who do you play him with? The center who loves to shoot? Or the center who loves to pass?

So after all these years we have left-handed Wingers like Bert and Flip and Cleary playing with Datsyuk.

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
I wanted both of those players in the off season before they signed along with Suter. Suter and Carle in the top 4 would have been amazing, and Semin would have been the Russian Datsyuk wanted on his wing. But the contract Carle signed with Tampa is way too much.

But still, imagine having this as our lineup.

Flip Datsyuk Semin
Tatar Helm Nyquist
Tootoo Emmerton Abdelkader
Bert, Cleary, Mursak, Miller, Eaves, whoever else I missed. Not sure what we could have done with them, but meh, this is merely a fantasy.

OR

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Tatar Flip Bert
Tootoo Helm Abdelkader

Suter Kronwall
Carle Ericsson
Smith White
Quincey, Kindl

OR, since we definitely could not get Suter

Kronwall Lashoff
Carle Smith
Quincey White
Kindl, Coliacovo

Those were my ideal lineups in the summer. We can roll 3 scoring lines, but the 3rd line will also have speed. Tatar and Nyquist would increase Helm's production as well. Or have Flip center the 3rd line and have a deadly line of Tootoo, Helm and Abby. Point is, there is a lot of flexibility with line combinations.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't like Carle's contract, but $5.5/6 doesn't seem like that much of an overpayment. Wisniewski got $5.5m/6 and Ehrhoff pulled in $4m/10. Each of those are 2/3 level guys to me, and they're getting the same sort of cap hit.

Meanwhile, Suter got $7.5m/13 and Weber got $7.9m/14.

I still wouldn't have signed Carle because I'm not a fan of his game, but the contract isn't that bad. I'd have been on board for Semin, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brunner as Z's RW, and Semin as Dats RW would be lethal. You see how much good a righty who can shoot does for Z, imagine if we had 2 of them.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wish we would've overpaid for Gleason last year before Carolina extended him. Should've sent the 1st we used on Quincey their way instead.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wish we would've overpaid for Gleason last year before Carolina extended him. Should've sent the 1st we used on Quincey their way instead.

If I'm remembering right, Gleason took Ott's wife from him. And since I hate Ott, that's pretty awesome. So I'd be down with Gleason!

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
He needs to play before I can decide what's up there. I still think he could contribute, but ya know, he's only been on the ice for 26 minutes so it's not a great sample size.

Roger that, just trying to gauge Mikaels considerable fanbase on hfb-detroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad