How Good Will Anthony Mantha Become?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think so. The key with Mantha is consistency it seems. Hopefully his health will stay, he will get in a rhythm, and then I can see him being a PPG player over the full season. He has a great shot, and is a natural goal scorer. Plus the size of him (like you mentioned), he could become a real force to be reckoned with. It really is a shame that Detroit only has one legit scoring line. It just means Mantha and Larkin and Betuzzi will see top shutdown pairings constantly.

Well he did score 81 goals in 81 games in the Q and won MVP. That seems pretty consistent.

Reactions: dood

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha has always had nearly unlimited potential. He’s also been somewhat of a slow learner at every level so it’s no surprise he’s still not at his peak (or maybe just hitting it now).
40+40 should be very realistic for him. 30+30 should be almost the floor. But he’s still got things to prove in terms of bringing a consistent effort for a whole season. Call it a compromise and I’ll say he hits 35+35 this year.

Reactions: Dominance

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
40+40 would be my guess. Really happy that I chose him in the fantasy.

Reactions: dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
40+40 would be my guess. Really happy that I chose him in the fantasy.
And he's decent defensively, which in my pool, is just as important.

He has turned into a great player, but I think that Larkin is a big part of that. Both are studs, and with Stevie Y at the helm now, I think their chances of being prominent, went up a few notches.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It’s too bad the Wings have him on a bridge contract.

Likely will have a massive raise just when they are turning into a playoff team

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Well he did score 81 goals in 81 games in the Q and won MVP. That seems pretty consistent.
6 years ago. And last time I checked the NHL and the Q were different leagues, two tiers apart. Correct me if I'm wrong.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And he's decent defensively, which in my pool, is just as important.

He has turned into a great player, but I think that Larkin is a big part of that. Both are studs, and with Stevie Y at the helm now, I think their chances of being prominent, went up a few notches.

There was an article on the Athletic and it had guys with "generational" traits that werent generational. Larkin was listed under work ethic. Hes a guy who never gets out worked by anyone and I think that was exactly what Mantha needed to play with to get him out of his consistency issues. They complement each other well because of that and now theyre feeding off each other. I dont want to call Bertuzzi a third wheel but hes another guy that goes 100% every shift. Neither of those 2 have Manthas skill but theyre not outworked and thats rubbing off on Mantha I think

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Said it in the thread about the wings first line but Mantha has every tool you need to be an elite scorer. Hes got a really hard shot with a really good release, hes fast, hes massive, hes strong, he can stick handle and he has good hands around the net. The only thing thats ever held him back is his consistency. Hes always taken a couple years to get accustomed to new leagues and tore up after that though so maybe this will be his big "figure it out moment" this season and he'll be dominant.

Yep been saying this from the beginning that hes a guy that has always taken a bit longer than others to adapt though out his career.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Hard to say, I think the next couple of seasons will tell us what kind of player Mantha will be. I definitely think he has the potential to be a 40-50 goal scorer / 80+ point player, the issue is he has had a comparable pattern to Johan Franzen, in that when he's on, he dominates like one of the best on the planet, but when he's off, he's very frustrating to watch.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wouldn't be surprised to see him half 4-6 40-40 seasons.
Speed and size goes a long way.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I wanna cry thinking about Mantha. I remember him being there at 20 and praying Detroit would pass him up so the Leafs could get him at 21. I think the whole board had their fingers crossed lol

He's got huge potential. Already is a great player, but I think he's still got another level to hit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hyperbole after 2 games.

31+31 = 62 points in last 80 games.

Hard to say, I think the next couple of seasons will tell us what kind of player Mantha will be. I definitely think he has the potential to be a 40-50 goal scorer / 80+ point player, the issue is he has had a comparable pattern to Johan Franzen, in that when he's on, he dominates like one of the best on the planet, but when he's off, he's very frustrating to watch.

Franzen's abilities were very much health-realated. When guy was injured, the drive was not there. Same has happened with Mantha. Same happens with almost any player.

I don't think Mantha will ever be so banged up in nowadays hockey as Franzen was 10 years ago, so I could see mantha's potential higher. Also Mantha is now at Franzen's age, when Franzen debuted in NHL.

Then it took 2 years at Detroit's Bottom6 lines, before Franzen started scoring. He was a defensive player until that, even though a great scorer at swedish juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->