How good was Pat LaFontaine?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
easily those two, plus leetch as also mentioned above. modano had the same flash as those guys but he didn’t have that level of offensive... maybe vision is the best word?

i guess if you count brett hull you could count him too. not well rounded at all but next level offensive brain on him.
Vision is indeed the word, Kane and Lafontaine saw the ice better and were better passers for sure, not to say Modano wasn't a good passer, he just wasn't as gifted there as those two guys.

Having said that Modano was the more well rounded player, would be tough to pick out a single weak spot in his game, he ended up being a world class 200 foot centre

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Funny, when LaFontaine played for the Isles I never really thought of him as a playmaker, I thought of him as a goal scorer, more of a replacement for Bossy than Trottier. Early on he reminded me of Marcel Dionne, with that same relentless drive for the net, that ability to carry the puck & fight through traffic to get the goal, & the ability to pull the trigger from all sorts of angles in close. I don't think LaFontaine ever quite developed elite passing vision like Dionne did, but for his entire tenure on Long Island he was stuck with 2nd-3rd line talents on his wing & never played with an elite winger, or even a credible first line talent, for that matter. When the Big 3 cleared out, the entire offensive hole was being filled by one guy - LaFontaine was essentially tasked with the burden of being the only offensive generator for his team. Guys like Mikko Makela, Patrick Flatley, David Volek, Randy Wood, Derek King didn't have the wheels or hands to finish consistently enough when playing alongside him, so he mostly played a shoot first style. For most of his career in LA, Dionne always had an option of passing to someone who could finish.

When LaFontaine landed in Buffalo & clicked with Mogilny it was like Dionne finding Charlie Simmer. All the more interesting, too, when you consider that LaFontaine was a right shooting center & Mogilny was a left shooting right wing, meaning that in order to hit Mogilny on the rush he'd have to spin around or hit him with a backhand, & Mogilny would probably get into shooting position & pull the trigger rather than take a backhand-to-backhand pass & carry it. Basically, in Buffalo, LaFontaine for the first time in his career could shift from being in a shoot first mentality because he finally had an elite finisher skating with him, & it didn't take much of a transition because he was a very skilled stickhandler & an intelligent player who knew the best play to make the goal. It was sort of jaw dropping seeing some of the plays they did together, almost Gretzky-Kurri like. He was like Dionne & Gretzky in that he could draw the attention of the checkers & then hit the open man.

When you look at the stats for 92-93, LaFontaine, Mogilny & Andreychuk potted 67 PPG between them, & Hawerchuk had a career low 16 goals but had a career year for assists with 80 (including 44 PP) because now he had three elite finishers so didn't have to drive for the net as much. It was tragic we didn't get a few more seasons with LaFontaine at his peak.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
No disrespect to the Sabes org but players like Patty frustrate me in that they never played for really good teams the way Yzerman, Sakic, Mario, etc did. Its like talking about him or Palffy or whatever your kinda like yeah they were good but...
Who knows what could have been , but yeah coulda shoulda woulda *fart noise*

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Who knows what could have been , but yeah coulda shoulda woulda *fart noise*
That's true, but think about it this way: Lafontaine is 8 months older than Mario Lemieux (and about a foot shorter). In the 1982-83 season, in the same League, Lafontaine outscored Lemieux by 50 points (he did play in 4 more games).

Over two seasons in the NHL (1991-1993), Lafontaine scored 1.71 PPG, higher than Selanne, Gretzky, Oates, and Yzerman in the same period.

Clearly, he was an uber-elite talent. His first 8 seasons were with a team in terminal decline. When he finally went to a team with a few other good players, he suddenly out-produced Gretzky. Then, he was concussed and never really recovered his career.

I don't think it's too fanciful to suggest that had Lafontaine been drafted by Detroit and Yzerman by the Islanders, their legacies may have worked out very differently.

Or not. We don't know. Just speculation.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Lafontaine could've been a Rockie/Devil if they didn't trade that pick for Bob Lorimer and Dave Cameron, not that it really matters though. Great player who continued playing against the advice of doctors. A healthy Lafontaine and Hawerchuk would've been nice.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Pat Lafontaine was very, very good. I remember reading in Mario Lemieux's book that he was obsessed with beating Guy Lafleur's and Pat Lafontaine's records in Juniors. When you're in the cross-hairs of a player like Lemieux, that means something.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'd say 1989-'93 he was in that "scary good" category. 1990 that big 105 point year for the lowly Islanders. 1991 just normal at 85 points but 1992 he had 93 points in 57 games. Then the big year in 1993 with 148. You can argue, that for a couple years he is in the mix at the 3rd best centre in the NHL (we all know the first two). It was brief, and like someone said before it took him longer than it probably should have to get to his peak, but he was a fantastic player to watch in full flight. Entertaining, that's for sure.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Offensively he was brilliant, easily one of the funnest players to watch of his time.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Did anyone watch the "Easter Epic" live (staying up until 2am?) I heard LaFontaine also authored or co-authored a book called Companions in Courage. I wonder if it is any good.

I wasnt alive back then, but my Dad remembers it. He said him and my uncle stayed up to watch the game, but Grandpa went to bed at the end of the third period saying the Islanders were gonna win, and my Dad picked the Caps. They stayed up all night watching it too...

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Did anyone watch the "Easter Epic" live (staying up until 2am?) I heard LaFontaine also authored or co-authored a book called Companions in Courage. I wonder if it is any good.
Yes, I watched the whole thing. I'm quite sure it's the longest game I've ever watched. I was in high school, and the game ended at 3:00 AM where I lived. I think I was the only one in my family who made it through the whole game, and only one of my friends watched the entire game too. Remember the LaFontaine goal, and all the saves by Hrudey and Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad