How good was Mats Sundin?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The 160th to 200th range doesn't seem proportionately correct for the 24th highest goal scoring forward and 28th highest point scoring player in the history of the game who was also the face of a franchise for a decade and a half and a significant international player.

Even if we started him off as the 28th best player in the game based on his career point totals and I spotted you an additional 60 forwards, 40 defensemen and 25 goalies to put ahead of him, no questions asked, that still doesn't get us to 160th.
You could be right. I have not made a list yet so I have no idea where I would put Sundin. I was merely reading through the top 200 preliminary thread and someone mentioned Sundin should be fine at 180-200 and nobody challenged it, which I thought was possible, but figured if I said 160-200 its more likely.

Here were some of the posts on Sundin I noticed after someone said "Any list without Sundin not in the top 200 should be thrown out!"
Thrown out? No, definitely not. Would I strongly agree he belongs on the list? Yes. As the holder of many minority and even fringe opinions, you should agree that it's at least defensible to have him off the list and those who think he doesn't belong should be respected.

There are players about whom this "suggestion" could apply, and Mats Sundin is definitely not one of of them.

Sundin is my favorite player, but I don't know...

I mean, I guess it would be hard not to include him, but his peak in the NHL isn't one of the stronger ones for a big name player and while he was fine in the playoffs, he didn't really have a defining run. If someone is obsessed with things like top five Hart voting finishes, I can see him being left off. If you really like things like consistency, dependability and a solid overall game, he makes it. Other things in his favor are that he was clutch (ranks high in both GWGs and OT goals) and great Internationally.

I see him in the same tier as guys like Hossa, Robitaille, Alfredsson, Elias, Recchi, Shanny except he was a centre. At least some of these players will make some lists.

Sundin around 180-200 is fine with me.

Quite frankly, a 50 spot difference later in these lists doesn't mean someone wasn't amazing. Its a lot of players we are discussing.

This only came up because earlier in the thread, someone said this:
Compared to more recent NHL centers, who do you pick between...

Mats Sundin or Evgeni Malkin

Mats Sundin or Niklas Backstrom

Mats Sundin or Jonathan Toews

Mats Sundin or Joe Thornthon

Mats Sundin or Henrik Sedin

Mats Sundin or Eric Staal

Mats Sundin or Anze Kopitar

And I responded with "Malkin and Thornton are well above Sundin's Tier. The rest are up for Debate."

Marcel Dionne vs Thornton is a much more realistic comparison than Sundin and Thornton. Its actually a funny comparison when I think about it. Marcel Dionne is the one guy in history I can literally say "that guy has a significantly stronger regular season record than Thornton, but his playoff record is way worse"

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sundin was (is) the Best Leaf’s centre since Sittler. Matthews will take that spot soon though.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
The 160th to 200th range doesn't seem proportionately correct for the 24th highest goal scoring forward and 28th highest point scoring player in the history of the game who was also the face of a franchise for a decade and a half and a significant international player.

Even if we started him off as the 28th best player in the game based on his career point totals and I spotted you an additional 60 forwards, 40 defensemen and 25 goalies to put ahead of him, no questions asked, that still doesn't get us to 160th.
He was on the NHL 100 list 3 years ago and I think he was deserving. But honestly I have a really hard time ranking players pre-1945, and there's only really a handful or two of Soviets who I would even attempt to rate alongside NHL contemporaries

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Sundin was (is) the Best Leaf’s centre since Sittler. Matthews will take that spot soon though.
I'd still take Gilmour's career over Sundin's. Matthews has yet to match or surpass the best season of either of them.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I'd still take Gilmour's career over Sundin's. Matthews has yet to match or surpass the best season of either of them.
Gilmour's best season was amazing. Hart worthy vs many other seasons. That particular season was ridiculous for amazing seasons and he still came in 2nd for the Hart. Lemieux's cancer return and torrid pace aside, that season also saw Selanne score 76 goals and 132 points as a rookie, Lafontaine score 148 points, Yzerman having a 58 goal 137 point season. Mogilny with a 76 goal 127 point season. Oates with his 142 point season despite Neely missing that season playing with Juneau and Kvantalnov....i'd still take Killer over anyone but Lemieux that year. Gilmour went head to head with Gretzky in a 7 game series and scored 4 goals and 9 assists and was +6 while checking Gretzky and Gretzky only scored 5 goals and 5 assists and was -4 lol.

I honestly think if he was given 1st line center duties earlier in his career, we would be comparing him favorably to Forsberg, comfortably near the top 50 of all time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I honestly think if he was given 1st line center duties earlier in his career, we would be comparing him favorably to Forsberg, comfortably near the top 50 of all time.

but that’s kind of not a fair comp because forsberg himself played in a 1a/1b situation most of his career, and only really got gilmour in toronto duties in 2003 and 2006.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Gilmour's best season was amazing. Hart worthy vs many other seasons. That particular season was ridiculous for amazing seasons and he still came in 2nd for the Hart. Lemieux's cancer return and torrid pace aside, that season also saw Selanne score 76 goals and 132 points as a rookie, Lafontaine score 148 points, Yzerman having a 58 goal 137 point season. Mogilny with a 76 goal 127 point season. Oates with his 142 point season despite Neely missing that season playing with Juneau and Kvantalnov....i'd still take Killer over anyone but Lemieux that year. Gilmour went head to head with Gretzky in a 7 game series and scored 4 goals and 9 assists and was +6 while checking Gretzky and Gretzky only scored 5 goals and 5 assists and was -4 lol.

93 was such a ridiculous outlier year. So many superstar players had legitimate "peak" seasons.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He's like Mike Modano minus Modano's strong defensive game. Playoff advantage to Modano, but I've come around to thinking Sundin should get lots of credit for his international play, so maybe that evens out with Modano's playoff record.

I think Sundin was ranked more or less correctly on this forum's top centers list (54th center of All-Time, as of 2014).

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
93 was such a ridiculous outlier year. So many superstar players had legitimate "peak" seasons.
It's the year with the highest league average scoring in history by some measure, isn't it? The last year of high-scoring "80's hockey" before the trap and butterfly goaltending really took of and changed the league.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
but that’s kind of not a fair comp because forsberg himself played in a 1a/1b situation most of his career, and only really got gilmour in toronto duties in 2003 and 2006.
Fair point. Maybe Forsberg is a bad comparison. It just popped into my head because of the never say die sacrifice the body type play and excellent playoffs.

It just seemed in seasons when Federko was sidelined, you could see Douggie shine in StLouis when he got reasonable linemates. When Federko was playing, his line was considered the offensive 1st line and Douggie was playing checking line 2nd line with Gaston Gingras and Greg Paslawski types. No real depth to run 2 offensive lines and the coaches didn't run the team that way.

Colorado ran more of a real 1A/1B scenario, and had more depth wingers. but I agree. Forsberg was phenomenal and so was Sakic.

In Calgary, the powerplay was monopolized because they had Al Mac's slapshot and Nieuwendyk's uncanny ability to tip those slapshots. Douggie was part of it, but everyone knew it was running through Mac's slapshot.

I feel like in Toronto they finally gave Killer the chance to have "his" team and set the tone and he not only ran with it, he obliterated expectations. Opportunity to prove oneself is sometimes needed. I mean look at Red Berenson. on powerhouse Montreal teams, Red was just a bit player. Once given his own team he became a 2 time hart finalist against Orr/Esposito.

Its just a shame Killer only got his own team after he was entering his 30's and had played a decade of very hard bodied hockey. When I think of guys who know how to turn it up several notches in the playoffs, I do not think of Messier and his "guarantee", I think of Killer relentlessly attacking and in your face and ignoring pain and soldiering on.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
They changed some rules and called a looooooot of penalties that year in an 84 game season. And the newer expansion teams, Tampa, San jose and Ottawa were absolute train wrecks. San jose and ottawa had a combined 141 losses and were both hovering around 400 goals against.:laugh:
They added diving minors and instigator game misconducts and checking from behind into the goal frame Majors. it was ridiculous. Every team in the league except Philly had 400+ powerplay opportunities. And Philly had 399. Some teams had 500+ powerplay opportunities.

I am still Baffled Chelios won the Norris that year. Not only was Bourque better, but Chelios spent like half of each game in the box:laugh:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It's the year with the highest league average scoring in history by some measure, isn't it? The last year of high-scoring "80's hockey" before the trap and butterfly goaltending really took of and changed the league.
There were higher scoring years before that where 2nd lines and roleplayers scored more. but 1993 was a year for top players to feast on powerplays because of all the things I outlined in my last post.

Ironically, 2005-06 was worse for calling penalties, but like you said, goaltenders were a different animal by this point and we didn't have 3 expansion teams to roast.

If anyone wonders why vegas was given such incredible ability to draft from other teams, have a stroll down memory lane to just how bad Ottawa/Tampa/San jose were.

Last edited:

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
I've thought a bit about peak/prime vs career value.
It would have been interesting with a "best peak" projekt, but that project will hopefully be in the future. In this current project we try to balance peak, prime, longevity and overall career.
Still, I wonder if those reliable players that "always" were around might be a bit underrated. Players like Lidström, Sundin, Alfredsson (to name three Swedes, but there are of course many others too).

Hockey is a team sport and the above mentioned guys always performed very well. They were always good enough to be a main contributor on a Stanley Cup winning team.
So I'm not sure what to think people here write things like "He never won an individual trophy" or "He never won the Stanley Cup" or "He never finished top-3 in scoring/Hart/etc."

Lidström and Sundin were truly great at playing in a way that both made them constantly "elite" (or very good), while also making them have long careers with little injuries.
Peter Forsberg were great, and my favorite player to watch. He was so exciting. But, he also played in a way that made him injury prone. Maybe Lindros is another example of a truly great player had an "injury prone" style of play. Didn't even Crosby have it, when he gave all he had to go in front of the opponent's net, etc., getting concussions?

(Of course luck/unluck is involved too, when it comes to injuries.)

So isn't there some kind of balance involved? Let's hypothetically say that Sundin would have chosen to be a "bulldozer"(?) that make him peak better, but at the cost of his reliability and longevity? (Use a better example if you prefer to.) What if Forsberg had held himself from some of his highlight reel forceful play? Let's say Forsberg had scored 10 % fewer points, resulting in 2 top-10 scoring finishes instead of 5, but instead managed to play many more games (and maybe that way also getting a couple of high scoring finishes)? If Sundin had scored 10 % more points, getting 7 top-10 scoring finishes instead of 2?
(Notice how much 10 % either way would have changed things.)

I too generally prefer peak before longevity. But at least intellectually, I sometimes wonder if career value is undervalued.
Guys like Sundin or Salming got basically nothing (from an NHL/SC perspective) for being longtime reliable guys with long careers, while guys like Lowe got lots of success. But I'm sure both Sundin and Salming could have been above average players on a dynasty, maybe even get a Conn Smythe..?
It wasn't their own lack of contributions that failed them. It was rather the contributions of their teammates.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

It's entirely appropriate when you look at the list of superstar players who failed to crack the top -100 list who are considered to be better than Sundin. Looking at the top 60 all-time centres project from a few years ago, the following centres finished above Sundin (and did not qualify for the top - 100 players list):

1. Doug Gilmour
2. Alexander Maltsev
3. Ron Francis
4. Peter Stastny
5. Alex Delvecchio
6. Adam Oates
7. Gilbert Perreault
8. Hooley Smith
9. Pavel Datsyuk
10. Russell Bowie
11. Jean Ratelle
12. Marty Barry
13. Mike Modano
14. Dale Hawerchuk
15. Vladimir Petrov
16. Denis Savard
17. Igor Larionov
18. Mickey MacKay
19. Frank Federickson

There are some current centres who could also qualify ahead of Sundin. I would take McDavid's 5 seasons over Sundin's entire career actually given his dominance. Two way players like Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews have an argument. Some of the players on the previously mentioned top 60 centres list can be considered Sundin's equal or better like Zetterberg, Nedomansky and Sittler.

With regards to your comment:

Ron Francis is 5th in career points and 2nd in career assists, and he was a great two-way player with a higher peak than Sundin, but he didn't even make the top-100 player list and I suspect when we will be waiting a little while after player 101 before he is voted. If that is the case, it's fair to assume Sundin will be waiting awhile after this.

Keep in mind, this is just centres I am pointing out. Wingers that would likely be considered better than Sundin include:

1. Iginla
2. Busher Jackson
3. Doug Bentley
4. Pavel Bure
5. Tommy Phillips
6. Syd Howe
7. Vladimir Martinec
8. Sweeney Schriner
9. Johnny Bucyk
10. Paul Kariya

D-men likely better than Sundin (not on the top - 100 list):

1. Valeri Vasiliev
2. Bill Quackenbush
3. Serge Savard
4. Rod Langway
5. Jack Stewart
6. Guy Lapointe
7. Scott Niedermayer
8. Marcel Pronovost
9. Lionel Conacher
10. Hod Stuart
11. CHing Johnson
12. Jacques Laperriere
13. Alexei Kasatonov
14. Zdeno Chara

I would probably rank Doughty, Weber and maybe even Hedman (despite only being halfway through his career) over Sundin...maybe a few more names from the past like Johnson, and Goodfellow as well.

Goalies likely better or as good as Sundin (not in top 100 list)

1. Tony Esposito
2. Bernie Parent
3. Roy Worters
4. Johnny Bower
5. Jiri Holecek
6. Tiny Thompson
7. George Hainsworth
8. Billy Smith
9. Hugh Lehman
10. Grant Fuhr
11. Gump Worsley
12. Harry Lumley
13. Chuck Raynor
14. Tom Barrasso

I would place more recent goalies like Luongo and Lundqvist above Sundin as well.

So there you have it. That's around 60 - 70 players outside the top 100 that are better than Sundin. I wouldn't be surprised if Sundin finishes below 180 and that's OK. Hockey has a lengthy and rich history and a significant portion of it is outside the confines of the NHL.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
For longer term Leafs? Sure.

Gilmour's 2.5 season stretch from 91-94 was far greater than anything Sundin accomplished with the Leafs....especially Gilmour's playoffs with the Leafs.
Matthews has not approached Gilmour's peak to this point.
Don't forget Gilmour's monster season in 86/87 with the Blues either.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Hockey has a lengthy and rich history and a significant portion of it is outside the confines of the NHL.

If this is the case, then I think you should acknowledge Sundin’s excellent international career and that it’s highly arguable where Sundin stands in comparison to many of those players you’ve listed.

Reactions: scott clam

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If this is the case, then I think you should acknowledge Sundin’s excellent international career and that it’s highly arguable where Sundin stands in comparison to many of those players you’ve listed.

Exactly. Sundin didn’t win championships or garner any individual awards but counter balances that with production over a very long career and an even higher international level of play for that same period of time with Sweden.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Don't forget Gilmour's monster season in 86/87 with the Blues either.

Yes,

Gilmour had a fantastic career prior to joining the Leafs. One of the best two-way players in the game in the 80s/90s. His peak was quite lengthy and his career is easily better than Sundin's imo. It's just goes to show how much of a joke that top 100 NHL players list of all-time was placing the likes of Nieuwendyk and Sundin on there over the likes of Thornton, Malkin and Gilmour.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes,

Gilmour had a fantastic career prior to joining the Leafs. One of the best two-way players in the game in the 80s/90s. His peak was quite lengthy and his career is easily better than Sundin's imo. It's just goes to show how much of a joke that top 100 NHL players list of all-time was placing the likes of Nieuwendyk and Sundin on there over the likes of Thornton, Malkin and Gilmour.

I don't feel like Sundin is necessarily the one blocking Thornton, Malkin and Gilmour. I look at a guy like Pat Lafontaine who never won a Stanley Cup, a real individual award, didn't have a lengthy career or a stellar international career as someone who probably shouldn't be ahead of those three centers, or Dale Hawerchuk or Denis Savard for that matter.

Mike Gartner was never at the starture any of Thornton, Malkin, Gilmour or even Sundin, but scored at a reliable rate for a very long time.

Reactions: scott clam

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

I did factor that in. Yes, Sundin's international career was excellent...and that should play a relatively minor role in evaluating a player's worth relative to his peers.

Order of importance when determining a player's worth:

1. NHL - 80+ regular season games or however many games were played pre-1980s...prior to mass integration of Europeans into the NHL in the 80s and 90s player's stats in those leagues would be held in similar regard.

2. NHL playoffs - up to 28 games...competition is higher as the weakest teams have been eliminated, but the sample size of games is much smaller

3. Olympics/World Cup/Canada Cup - sample size of games is incredibly small (3 - 7 games typically), competition ranges from incredibly high to woeful (ie. Belarus, Norway).

4. World Juniors, World Championships, Memorial Cup/CHL playoffs - again a small sample size of games, many players involved not drafted, World Championships only see a fraction of the best participating due to the players opting out/playing in NHL playoffs.

Kudos to Sundin for some impressive World Cups/Canada Cup/Olympics. Small sample sizes though. And versus some questionable competition in some games in each tournament. Not comparable to the NHL regular season or NHL playoffs where the quality of competition is consistently higher and sample sizes considerably larger.

Sundin's international resume is not enough for the vast majority, if not all, the players I posted to finish ahead of him in the project. Please remember those players will have a decent international resume as well.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I did factor that in. Yes, Sundin's international career was excellent...and that should play a relatively minor role in evaluating a player's worth relative to his peers.

Order of importance when determining a player's worth:

1. NHL - 80+ regular season games or however many games were played pre-1980s...prior to mass integration of Europeans into the NHL in the 80s and 90s player's stats in those leagues would be held in similar regard.

2. NHL playoffs - up to 28 games...competition is higher as the weakest teams have been eliminated, but the sample size of games is much smaller

3. Olympics/World Cup/Canada Cup - sample size of games is incredibly small (3 - 7 games typically), competition ranges from incredibly high to woeful (ie. Belarus, Norway).

4. World Juniors, World Championships, Memorial Cup/CHL playoffs - again a small sample size of games, many players involved not drafted, World Championships only see a fraction of the best participating due to the players opting out/playing in NHL playoffs.

Kudos to Sundin for some impressive World Cups/Canada Cup/Olympics. Small sample sizes though. And versus some questionable competition in some games in each tournament. Not comparable to the NHL regular season or NHL playoffs where the quality of competition is consistently higher and sample sizes considerably larger.

Sundin's international resume is not enough for the vast majority, if not all, the players I posted to finish ahead of him in the project. Please remember those players will have a decent international resume as well.

I disagree on the lack of significance you accredit to international tournaments. It’s not one moment in one game, it’s not that he assisted on a gold winning goal (as he did in 2006), it’s what he did routinely, in dozens and dozens of games in several high quality and best on best tournaments over two decades.

1. Mats Sundin, with notoriously weak offensive support, scored the 3rd most points of the dead puck era. In the five lowest scoring seasons since 1955-1956, he was outscored only by Jagr and Sakic. Between 1997-98 and 2003-04, these were his points tallies with the team’s runner-up (or leader) in parenthesis: 74 (Mike Johnson 47), 83 (Steve Thomas 73), 73 (Steve Thomas 63), 74 (Gary Roberts 53), 80 (Darcy Tucker 59), 72 (Alex Mogilny 79), 75 (Bryan McCabe 53). Now, overall points is fine, but Sundin was one of the premiere goal scoring centers of his era. Second only to Sakic, in fact. His regular season stats are very impressive, truly underrated, considering the era and the cast he had to work with.

2. In playoff scoring, he’s eleventh between 1997-98 and 2003-04 with 24-33-57 in 64 games. All ten players above him were on the powerhouse Avalance, Devils, Red Wings or Stars teams and scored their points in between 10 to 40, or an average of 25 more playoff games than Sundin. In 19 career elimination games, Sundin scored 5-12-17. According to Hockey Outsider’s calculations, Sundin’s playoff scoring was up by 13,6% relative to expectations, suggesting he was a gamer come playoff time. Out of 15 forwards you named that HO ran the numbers on, Gilmour, Delvecchio, Perreault and Hawerchuk were better playoff performers by those metrics. My point is, Sundin and the Leafs had many disappointing playoffs, but the player showed up, led the team and did great for someone outside of the powerhouses.

3. That international competition necessarily should be regarded as less important than anything else because of its small sample size seems like a bullshit rule to me. That he had such an impact there wasn’t luck and running up the score against Latvia.

Sundin looks great in large sample sizes like his 18 year career, or most 3-5-10 year spans, however worse in single season scoring: looking at his teams and what he consistently did despite a lack of support, helps explain some of that. But I think that instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt when comparing his NHL accolades to star players’ who had better support, you can look at what he did when he actually was on a good team, as was often the case with Team Sweden.

On the international stage was where he had quality support and played against the best teams. In the 1991 Canada Cup he was the only non-American named to the all-star team. He led Sweden with 6 points in 6 games against the best players in the world, and this was following his rookie season. Again in 1996, in 4 games, he was the standout on Team Sweden, his 7 points in 4 games being good for third in the tournament, he was named 1st star twice, 2nd star once, and he had an assist in the 2-3 OT loss vs Canada. He made the tournament all star team once again. Nagano and Salt Lake City were disappointing tournaments for Sweden, but Sundin scored 3+1 in two games vs Canada and you can go back through game logs and check how much Sundin preyed on weak teams. Here’s what’s what: it’s not there, he performed against any competition. Sundin was the man for Team Sweden as much as Forsberg was, but in addition to that, he was the captain and led with heart as well as excellent play.

I bet most guys you named had decent international careers as well, but please don’t imply that Sundin’s wasn’t a big deal.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

Sundin played 91 NHL playoff games in is career, 98 games with a team Sweden in tournament according to hockey Reference.

In both case it is more than a 82 games season sample size and a bit high for constant excellent (with the opposition having a match plan based around you for many of those game) to be significant luck.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Backhand : Didnt he have no curve on his stick?

Matts was super consistent, 80 points in the bank before the season started. He was the C in toronto and was the type of guy that didn’t read the press,which in toronto can't be easy. A player impossible to dislike , like Sakic. I say this as a wings fan during the rivalry era, when Toronto was WC.

Sometimes the Toronto press and the fans got it in their head that he was too passive for his own good off the ice. I always thought he was more of a calming presence. He barely missed a game.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad