How Good Was Jozef Stumpel?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I've always thought of him, Handsuz and Bonk as being in a similar group of centers. Probably not accurate, I have a feeling Stümpel was more offensive than the others.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I remember Stumpel being injured quite a bit. Overall, I thought he was a good playmaker who was okay defensively. His numbers may look underwhelming, but Stumpel was playing in the heart of the DPE.

Reactions: Fixxer

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Diet Krejci.

Edit: I make that comparison in the fact that he was a playmaking 2nd line center who relied more on hockey IQ than brunt ability.

I remember Stumpel being significantly bigger though, which helped him in that dead puck era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
One of those guys who was a bit more talented than his stats indicate?

Cant help you on that one Bobby. But I do love his handle, name.... Something the Brothers Grimm wouldve come up with for their Fairytales & Fables.....

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
He's somewhere between Demitra and Handzus.

I was never a big fan of his, unlike his countrymen Palffy and Satan.

Totally different guy as both. Simply when you look to his statistics, you see, what was his primary focus. To create a scoring chances for his buddies. Man can say: A light version of Adam Oates.

He was the second center in Boston Bruins, after Adam Oates in 95/96. So he had many opportunities to learn from the king.

And believe or not, there was a time, he was the top scorer in NHL. Not in the season, he ended 10. on NHL scoring list (1997/1998). I think, it was the season 1999/2000, when after 20 games, he was the leader. It was the first season, when he and Ziggy Palffy reincarnated their Hk Nitra cooperation.

Another interesting fact. He was beloved in Boston and LA Kings. Because he moved from Boston to LA Kings to Boston and back to LA Kings.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Totally different guy as both. Simply when you look to his statistics, you see, what was his primary focus. To create a scoring chances for his buddies. Man can say: A light version of Adam Oates.

He was the second center in Boston Bruins, after Adam Oates in 95/96. So he had many opportunities to learn from the king.

And believe or not, there was a time, he was the top scorer in NHL. Not in the season, he ended 10. on NHL scoring list (1997/1998). I think, it was the season 1999/2000, when after 20 games, he was the leader. It was the first season, when he and Ziggy Palffy reincarnated their Hk Nitra cooperation.

Another interesting fact. He was beloved in Boston and LA Kings. Because he moved from Boston to LA Kings to Boston and back to LA Kings.

oddly enough you had 2 guys on the BOS-LA-BOS express at the same time.

Stumpel went BOS -LA - BOS - LA (from 92 to 08)
Glen Murray went BOS - LA - BOS (from 91 to 08)

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I remember Claude Quenneville on French CBC calling him Jo-zeff Shtoom-pell. And I loved it.
He was a more than serviceable forward with good speed/IQ. Basically like vanilla ice cream, you won't notice it's gone until the fridge at the local mall is out of it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
oddly enough you had 2 guys on the BOS-LA-BOS express at the same time.

Stumpel went BOS -LA - BOS - LA (from 92 to 08)
Glen Murray went BOS - LA - BOS (from 91 to 08)

a weird time for boston, la, pittsburgh, and washington

jason allison, byron dafoe, anson carter, robert lang, rick tocchet, dmitri khristich, shawn mceachern, bryan smolinski, kevin stevens, who am i forgetting from that circuit?

rick tocchet holds the distinction of hitting all four teams between 1994 and 97.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
a weird time for boston, la, pittsburgh, and washington

jason allison, byron dafoe, anson carter, robert lang, rick tocchet, dmitri khristich, shawn mceachern, bryan smolinski, kevin stevens, who am i forgetting from that circuit?

rick tocchet holds the distinction of hitting all four teams between 1994 and 97.

Donato did the BOS - LA - BOS

Gonchar went WAS - BOS - PIT in 2 seasons

Sturm went BOS - LA - WAS in 2 seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Big dude but not overly physical(but not a softy either). Not much finish but a good playmaker, smooth skater, and competent defensively.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad