How good was Bobby Hull with the NHL Jets/Whalers?

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Anybody here watch him in his last NHL season, or have any articles that talk about it? I've never seen any footage and it's pretty tough to catch classic 1980 Jets/Whalers game on TV...

How was his skating/shot, was he playing on scoring lines, did he play with Howe? Pretty decent stats for a 41 year old, but barely played any games.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
the 4th line to stART the 79-80 season for the whalers was dave keon at centre bobby hull at left wing and gordie on the right side

has to be the oldest line in nhl history

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I went to see the Whalers at Madison Square Garden in 79/80 because I made it a point to see the four new ex-WHA teams. I'm certain Hull was in the lineup but I don't recall any standout play.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I remember watching a Hartford/Boston game in the spring of 1980.

Hull did indeed play with Howe and they were centered by long time minor leaguer Bernie Johnston (I remember because he formerly played here in Portland as a Maine Mariner.)

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
I was around for Hull's entire NHL career. I saw him play in his last season with the Winnipeg Jets in their first season in the NHL, 1979-80, in a game against the Los Angeles Kings. Actually, I saw only the last two periods. A friend called me around 7 p.m. and said a friend of his who owned a bar was not using his pair of season tickets that night, and did I want to go see the Jets. It was not a game I would have paid to see, but since I hadn't seen Hull play during his WHL years, I decided to go see one of the NHL's greatest for what was probably the last time. It was. By the time we'd rushed to pick up the tickets from the friend's bar and reached the Inglewood Forum, the first period had just ended.

Hull still gave the impression of power, but he was painfully slow given what he once had been. He looked quite a bit over his best playing weight and appeared sluggish. He did not play many NHL games after that one. It was 20 years since he had broken into the NHL, and the Hull of the 1960s is the one I like to remember. He stayed on a bit too long.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Thanks. Too bad he wasn't 20 years younger, prime Hull + the 80's would have been something

crobro said:
the 4th line to stART the 79-80 season for the whalers was dave keon at centre bobby hull at left wing and gordie on the right side

131 years and 75 seasons of experience on that line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->