How good of a prospect were YOU ??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint*

Ok, now make sure to be honest, and don't exaggerate !
Done
How good of a hockey prospect were YOU yourself ??!!
Are, and I suck.
What type of a hockey player were you ? Highest level you played hockey at ?Highest level is houseleauge. People say I could probably make rep if I could skate fast enough. I have trouble making some descisions, but can still go end to end with the puck, and when thinking straight make some good passes. I've got a really good slap shot but my backhand and wrist shot are only so so. I also am pretty good at checking but sometimes take myself out of the play to deliver a check.
Got any hockey stats on yourself ? Hockey career highlights ?
Scored my first goal this year (I know pathetic, but hey I've never had a good shot until this year and play defence). Forgot my stats for this ice hockey season, however I have three assists and am +7 through two games of roller hockey.

TVanek26*

Buddah said:
I know... I was saying that AAA to A comparison due to the amount of people posting that they played AAA hockey as it would seem so common. It is very competitive, and VERY hard to get onto an AAA team here in Toronto (which is a minor hockey hot-bed). My dad has been coaching hockey for 17 years and has coached AAA for 7, so my opinion is not an uneducated one.

But seriously folks, you people need to snap out of your fantasies. For the kids who say they are (or have been) drafted into the OHL, QMJ, etc etc etc, post your real names and I'll check the draft lists that I have access to.

I agree.....I tried out for the Buffalo Saints (Junior A) and it was impossible to last 30 seconds with them and I played AA (Tier 2)...there must be some all-stars on this board :)

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
The_Wiz said:
I'm technically '05 eligible, but I suck, I've never played in an organized hockey league in my life. And I can't skate.

The_Wiz said:
What type of a hockey player were you ? Highest level you played hockey at ?
I dominated my gym classes in floor hockey at school. Some might say I was a poor man's Chris Drury. I was the clutch guy on my team, took all faceoffs (won about all) and would basically run the offense. I even played a game in goal, earning a shutout and almost scoring a goal as a keeper (surprised the other team's keeper with a long shot and put it off the post).

The_Wiz said:
I scored 47 goals (not that I was counting...) in 10 gym classes. Had 6 goals and 8 or 9 assists in one class.

Hey, at least I'm not bulls***ting you guys. I suck.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I can't believe people are so cynical about this. I'm not overly surprised that a lot of people posting here were good hockey players. It's a hockey site that talks a lot about young hockey players, many of whom have a lot of friends and ex-teammates that are somewhat likely to have Internet access and maybe post here.

Sure there will a few that post b.s., but I'm sure most of these posts are legit.

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Before i mention anything...i have to note a couple things.

1. inline hockey does not qualify you for being a hockey prospect. as an ICE hockey player i hated hearing kids saying they were awesome hockey players and when you asked them further they said they were INLINE. ITS ridiculous.

2. penn st. or other club hockey teams do not count. you were a hs player--thats where you maxed out. club hockey in college is recreation/

me? played for TAFT, 5'11'' 180. highest yr pt total was 59 pts 32 G 27 A. a finesse player with enough grit not to get bounced around. played any postion asked from 1st line to D.

game ended when i broke my leg pretty bad in a game, messed me up for over a yr. had to walk on at michigan with teammate tim cook who is a monster dman for us. hopefully next yr ill get on, coach made me play on our developmental roster.

college player at best

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
RGF said:
game ended when i broke my leg pretty bad in a game, messed me up for over a yr. had to walk on at michigan with teammate tim cook who is a monster dman for us. hopefully next yr ill get on, coach made me play on our developmental roster.

I wish you luck, RGF, sincerely. Michigan is stacked at forward next year, but it does look like there might be room for a walk-on D-man. Your post is a little unclear as to what position you primarily play. Anyhow, I hope you are successful.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Nothing to write home about a fringe ECHL:er would have been my sealing, thats being nice.

I was a tough guy leading my team in PIM, couldnt skate well enough though. Swedish junior U-16.

88 PIM in 6 game tournament, Has bodychecked Mattias Weinhandl so he couldnt finish that game.
I was never a good Hockey player.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
In my prime, I could skate backwards without falling on my ass.. Honestly, I was a horrible hockey player. Living your childhood in Southern California will do that to you. The only ice I saw was in our freezer. I was one hell of a baseball player though, too bad I had to give it up when we moved back to Finland as there probably isn't a single baseball diamond in the whole damn country. :cry:

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
I can play LW C or RW...better at C and left wing(even though im a lefty)...i was allowed a lot of roaming space in hs so it wasnt an issue, even in jrs'.

i can play D on powerplay and only if they re a ton of injuries on the team, like philly with kapanen

thanks for the support. the leg feels great, the coach has been receptive and ecouraging of my situation. he just said from tapes in hs till this yr my stride was a little off, and skating is huge. i have always prided myself as an amazing skater, but the injury took it down a notch. ive been working with a guy 2 hours a day to fix it and i think ill be back. if not there somewhere else. maybe ivy leagues which is where i got recruited a lot. i would red shirt

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
RGF said:
thanks for the support. the leg feels great, the coach has been receptive and ecouraging of my situation. he just said from tapes in hs till this yr my stride was a little off, and skating is huge. i have always prided myself as an amazing skater, but the injury took it down a notch. ive been working with a guy 2 hours a day to fix it and i think ill be back. if not there somewhere else. maybe ivy leagues which is where i got recruited a lot. i would red shirt

I'm a Michigan alum, and I see them play quite a bit. You're right in that skating is very important in their system, or at the D-1 level in general, for that matter. If you plan to stay at Michigan, redshirting might be your best option, depending on how your recovery is progressing. By my count 7 senior forwards will graduate after this season, so there will be some spots open in 2005-06. But of course only you know all the details of your situation. Good luck to you.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
How good was I?

I used to be amazing till i was about 13. Had seasons of 100+ goals and 50+ assists when the second top scorer on my team had 50 points. Thing is I came from a small town (played against bigger cities tho) and I never really had to try hard to be the best on my team so I got into the habit of being lazy. Then slowly people caught up to me and I wasn't the best on the team anymore. The highest level I've played was Midget AAA when I was 15(for about a month). Then they cut me cuz some out of town players got their releases and they cut a couple guys. After that year, I dropped hockey to study for school. But I picked up again this year after 3 years of not playing and I love it.

What kind of player was I?

I was mostly offensive. I had great hands, a great vision, and an amazing sense of the game. My speed and shot were average but needed improvement. I'm 6'2, 215 lbs, so I'm a big guy but I dont play all that physical unless I get mad. In my last 3 years, I've gotten maybe 20 PIMs all together. I usually played forward but I was placed on D for a couple years because it was harder for them to shadow me.

Stats
I had 13 goals and 32 assists in about 30-35 games this year as a defenceman in my first year playing since i dropped. But it was Juvenile hockey so it's not that impressive.

my top year was 152 point, 105 goals in about 40 games when i was atom rep.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I am 13 and am going to be a second year bantam. I live in Oregon so no AAA only AA which is what I play. I am kind of a defensive forward. best highlight? uhhh scored 7 in one game in mite house lol

5HOLE

May 30, 2002
USA
I actually can verify RGF as it was rumoed on the Michigan Fan Board that there was a friend of Cooks who was looking to walk on and fill that 7th dman spot. Best of luck to you...

I myself am playing Junior A hockey. I had the opportunity to get drafted in the OHL, but turned the opportunity down. After last season, I had some college interest from CCHA and ECAC schools, but an injury over summer put those plans onhold until atleast the Fall of 2005.

Avery4Byng*

played rep my whole life... started a career away from hockey early so didnt go play junior or anything. only stats i can remember was playing overage midget house league and having 49 goals and 60 assists in 19 games, along with 153 PIM's ;) but then again thats in house league so it means dittly squat lol.

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Not a bad hockey player, played AA most of my life, played Midget at 14 years of age. Tried out for two major junior teams but was cut from both (too scared and intimidated). Played some senior hockey, played college hocley for two weeks and then got cut. Best thing about hockey for me was I got to play in Swedan, Findland, the Us and all over Western Canada

formerjunior

Mar 20, 2002
Truro, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lets see, I was MVP of the Nova Scotia AAA Midget League during the 1995-96 season, top goal scorer, and was the top scorer at the Hull International Kiwanis Midget Tourny, but yet never got drafted to Major Junior or even a walk on, so that kinda hurt my confidence a bit. I played in the MJAHL for the Truro Bearcats and was an All-Star the first year in the league. After junior, I played a year down in Florida in the now defunct Junior A League down there, the year after this I started the year with the Dalhousie Tigers of the CIS and remained on the roster, but never got into a game....

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I wasn't much of a prospect. My brother always played at the same level as me and he is three years younger than me. Then again, he's quite good.

Highest level... I don't remember. It was a long time ago before my groin injury (I stopped playing after that one... took almost a full season away from me and I wasn't THAT good anyway so I quit). I was 13 when I got injured, and I never really won anything so you the level couldn't have been really high.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I never even learned to skate properly, so I quit after halfway through my first season at the age of six. But still, very promising. :lol

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey

I don't beleive I was ever considered a "prospect"

I got a late start (age 13) but I caught on very quickly. I was never a fast skater, so I was forced to become an exelent stickhandler and passer.

I could not wow anybody with my speed, so I had to compensate with work ethic. I made teams that I should have had no buisnuess playing on because of that alone, as well as my size. When I started playing Hockey I was about 6'0 200, and I was considered a monster for my age group. By the end of Highschool, I stood 6'3 220.

I played most of my Highschool "career" on a checking line, on what would be considered "A" level hockey for my region. My job was to hit like a truck and create havoc, which I gleefully did.

Being slow, I had to learn how to pass the puck well, and I became very good at it. I became a setup man twards the end of my "career" as I was used on the powerplay. I had quite alot of assists durring my "career", and developed the offensive talent to play on a top line. Unfortunatly however, I was not quick enough to skate on a scoring line regularly.

I had an 8 point game (2g, 6a) against an arch rival
Won a local championship
Somehow got to play in two local "All-Star" games
Never scored a Hat Trick in a game

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How good of a hockey prospect were YOU yourself ?
Not much of a prospect not much of a work ethic.

Big positional goalie. Took a lot of risks. VERY streaky player. Would be great one night and suck out loud the next. Played RW for a floor hockey league and if I can during pickup games. House league that I'm still in. 17 now. Played for a school team backup for 2 years and this year some freshmen is starting for varsity so I quit. Our practices suck lol.

as a RW I scored 4 goals in 5 minutes during a floor hockey league game to take the lead.
as a goalie in my house league we played a PO game into 9 OT's where we lost. Defenseman brought it up in front of the net himself and got it stolen. I was pissed he blamed me for letting it in. Lead my house league in shutouts...

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
How good a hockey prospect were you yourself.
6th round sleeper.

What type of hockey player were you.
The one every team dreams of drafting. I am big, fast, and have very good movement. I have the scoring touch of gretzky and the passing ability of Oats. Though I rarely passed cause my team mates sucked. I once scored 16 pts in one game. 10 goals and 6 assists. I lead the leauge in scoring every year as well as penelty minutes. i would drop the gloves with anyone, and i wasn't afraid to use my stick for more than it was made to do. I was Lindros (without the concussions and parents.) mixed with Gretzky.

Highest Level Played
Rec leauge roller hockey.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
thrashers=cup05 said:
How good a hockey prospect were you yourself.
6th round sleeper.

What type of hockey player were you.
The one every team dreams of drafting. I am big, fast, and have very good movement. I have the scoring touch of gretzky and the passing ability of Oats. Though I rarely passed cause my team mates sucked. I once scored 16 pts in one game. 10 goals and 6 assists. I lead the leauge in scoring every year as well as penelty minutes. i would drop the gloves with anyone, and i wasn't afraid to use my stick for more than it was made to do. I was Lindros (without the concussions and parents.) mixed with Gretzky.

Highest Level Played
Rec leauge roller hockey.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->