How good is Usports Football?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Are the top teams in Usports on par with NCAA division 2 or division 3?

People in the know of Football will know better but the best place to look at comparisons is probably to use Simon Fraser as an example.

I'm not an expert and I'm going off memory here. They played in Div 3 I think in NCAA despite being a Canadian school. They decided to transfer to USports in around 2010 ish. In 4/5 years in USports seasons I think they won 1-4 games TOTAL. Went back to div 3(or 2 maybe?) in NCAA. They were again decent (like .500).

Sports is probably around high end div 2/very low end div 1 I think. But again I'm no expert.

Reactions: irunthepeg

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Probably around the 3rd or 4th level in the NCAA if that. I don't think many Usports football players even make it to the CFL.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think Usports has a pretty big gap with the haves and have nots.

Teams like Laval, Western, Calgary all likely could compete at a level above the other teams in Usports. if you are talking as a one of keeping all the same parameters as they have now I think the top teams could maybe compete, not make the play-offs in division 1-AA, although that's likely a stretch, probably would be a better fit in Div. 2. The others would be similar to Simon Fraser and be in the div. 3/NAIA range.

The biggest issue for the Canadian schools would be QB. I don't think Canadian highschool throw the ball nearly as much as they do in the States so the QBs they normally get just aren't at the same level. So if you moved them into those divisions and they were able to more easily recruit those kids from the US with the appeal of them playing in the US football system instead of Usports then I think they could more easily compete. They will still have to attract them to Canada but I think the change in division from Usport to NCAA would help with that.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
It's pretty good football. The only problem is the gap between some of the teams. You have teams like Western, Laval and Calgary, who always seem to know how to woe the recruits year after year.

I do wish that more U Sports QBs would be given an actual chance in the CFL. We've seen a couple QBs in the past couple years like Sinopoli (before he was converted), Buckley and O'Connor.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think Usports has a pretty big gap with the haves and have nots.

Teams like Laval, Western, Calgary all likely could compete at a level above the other teams in Usports. if you are talking as a one of keeping all the same parameters as they have now I think the top teams could maybe compete, not make the play-offs in division 1-AA, although that's likely a stretch, probably would be a better fit in Div. 2. The others would be similar to Simon Fraser and be in the div. 3/NAIA range.

The biggest issue for the Canadian schools would be QB. I don't think Canadian highschool throw the ball nearly as much as they do in the States so the QBs they normally get just aren't at the same level. So if you moved them into those divisions and they were able to more easily recruit those kids from the US with the appeal of them playing in the US football system instead of Usports then I think they could more easily compete. They will still have to attract them to Canada but I think the change in division from Usport to NCAA would help with that.

basically this.

It's so top heavy it's not even funny.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Probably around the 3rd or 4th level in the NCAA if that. I don't think many Usports football players even make it to the CFL.

Actually a good amount make it to the CFL. They have a rule as to how many National players you need on the field at a time so a lot of Canadians get game time through that.

Here is a list from a couple years ago about numbers of players that have played in the CFL from U-sports:
U SPORTS alumni in the CFL: A visual representation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad