How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
He may hit the free agent market this summer. Is a top 10 player? A top 10 centre?

He hasn't cracked the top 15 in scoring since 2015. This past season he finished second in scoring on his team. He finished in the top 10 in Selke voting in 2017, but some believe he is not good at all defensively.

Where would you rank him among Cs and players and how much would you pay him?

Not as good as Laine.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Numbers wise says he's good but not great and certainly not elite status. But he could have huge years offensively in Toronto which would vault him up the list.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Backstrom, Kopitar and Stamkos are the only centers who are a cut above him, Mack, Kuz and Scheifele possibly but too early to say.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I mean if everyone was calling me a jerk, I'd have to at least consider the possibility that they're right.
That guy went into the Kawhi trade thread and was laughing at Toronto fans and saying suck it because it must suck for a superstar on a Toronto team to not want to play for them. He has some issues.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Backstrom, Kopitar and Stamkos are the only centers who are a cut above him, Mack, Kuz and Scheifele possibly but too early to say.
No. The only centers that are a cut above him are those first 3. Backstrom, Kopitar, and Stamkos aren't a cut above him, probably Bergeron too. They're all in that same 2nd tier. Same with Mack, and Scheifele.

Reactions: TomDelonge

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Mods lock this thread up. Wont get an accurate answer here. Only terribly biased opinions. Answer is gonna clearly be between what leaf haters think and what leaf fans think.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs have 2 franchise Centres and a back-to-back 2 way 30 goal scorer as their #3 C. And people expect regression? LOL.
Oh HF, never change. How did last year's theory work out for you about the Leafs regressing because they would have more injuries?

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
No. The only centers that are a cut above him are those first 3. Backstrom, Kopitar, and Stamkos aren't a cut above him, probably Bergeron too. They're all in that same 2nd tier. Same with Mack, and Scheifele.
The only centers that are clearly a notch above the rest are geno, sid, and Mcdavid. Everyone else is in some tier.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
John on the Isles was considered "marginally talented" by non-Isles fans...so since we (Isles fans) are biased because we thought of him as being elite...it would make sense that outsiders probably had it right.

In conclusion. JT is a marginal player with a decent ceiling.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
John on the Isles was considered "marginally talented" by non-Isles fans...so since we (Isles fans) are biased because we thought of him as being elite...it would make sense that outsiders probably had it right.

In conclusion. JT is a marginal player with a decent ceiling.
Hence why he was voted #4 C on HF when he was with the Islanders...

Reactions: Dingo

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
The irony in all this "now he's a Leaf, everyone hates him" complaining is, if you look at who voted for whom in that linked poll, most Leaf fans voted for Matthews, not Tavares. There are very few actual Leaf fans who voted for Tavares.

So I guess the reverse is true as well? As soon as the Leafs sign someone, their fanbase rates them higher than previously? :sarcasm:

I think most Leafs fans would still value Matthews higher? How does that change what he pointed out?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Leafs have 2 franchise Centres and a back-to-back 2 way 30 goal scorer as their #3 C. And people expect regression? LOL.
Oh HF, never change. How did last year's theory work out for you about the Leafs regressing because they would have more injuries?

What? This seemed such a random thing to cry about when most of the discussion prior to this was about where Tavares placed league-wide among centers.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Backstrom and Stamkos? No. Maybe from 2010-2013. Since then it's Tavares, and look at their difference in linemates. I'm not saying he is clearly better than them for certain, but they are also certainly not clearly better than him. They are pretty close, but I would still give Tavares the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad