How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
20 votes is a helluva lot more votes than Leaf fans who voted for Tavares in that poll. So if that other poster is going to use that poll as the definitive proof for his theory, then it also holds true that the vast majority of Leaf fans who voted, voted for Matthews, not Tavares.

In other words, the Leaf fans who actually voted didn't feel Tavares was the 4th best center in the league when he played for the Islanders. But apparently now he is, now that he plays for the Leafs.
If what you say is true that Leafs fans in that poll only voted for Matthews then that distinguishes it even more that according to that poll on HF he is the 4th best centre since there were 20 homer votes taken away from Tavares and he still won in a landslide.

And so you are then saying that because 20 Leaf fans (assuming they are all Leaf fans even though that is probably not true) voted for Matthews over Tavares then all Leaf fans thought Tavares wasn't worthy of that spot then but they do now....that is some great logic.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Just letting you know, right now, Matthews is losing a poll to Barkov.

I hope you message every single person who voted Barkov that they are just reaching and they are hating because they voted for who they felt was he superior player right now.
Lol..so this poll is accurate but if a Leaf fan uses a HF poll to show Tavares is the 4th best centre then HF polls are now skewed and inaccurate.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
LOL!
You don't seem to understand what you said...

In your own words you state,

"In reality, Tavares shows every sign of being like every other FA signing. Extremely hyped up while in the market, and underperforms to that advertisement when reality strikes."

Do you know the meaning of the word every? How many of the past free agents does the word every include?
As some laughable mod decided me telling you that you that you literally are just replying to one word and ignoring the actual point I made is a part of something entire different...

*cough cough*

You literally are just replying to one word and ignoring the actual point I made.

Try to reply to what is said, not what you want to be said

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Lol..so this poll is accurate but if a Leaf fan uses a HF poll to show Tavares is the 4th best centre then HF polls are now skewed and inaccurate.
Good ol' extremes.

Person puts Barkov over Matthews... "Must be hating and biased"

He shows a poll where a good number of people put him over (to specifically demonstrate its not an unreasonable view)... "Must be trying to declare Barkov HAS to be better"

And also compares the last one to someone who tried to use the poll to definitively declare him one of the best in the league.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Good ol' extremes.

Person puts Barkov over Matthews... "Must be hating and biased"

He shows a poll where a good number of people put him over (to specifically demonstrate its not an unreasonable view)... "Must be trying to declare Barkov HAS to be better"

And also compares the last one to someone who tried to use the poll to definitively declare him one of the best in the league.
You're missing the point buddy...I never commented on whether I thought Barkov or Matthews was better so not sure why you are quoting me.

I simply pointed out that this person was supporting the idea that the "Tavares is 4th best centre" in the league is inaccurate and then proceeds to...yes make up a poll to support the argument for Barkov is better than Matthews.......

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If what you say is true that Leafs fans in that poll only voted for Matthews then that distinguishes it even more that according to that poll on HF he is the 4th best centre since there were 20 homer votes taken away from Tavares and he still won in a landslide.

And so you are then saying that because 20 Leaf fans (assuming they are all Leaf fans even though that is probably not true) voted for Matthews over Tavares then all Leaf fans thought Tavares wasn't worthy of that spot then but they do now....that is some great logic.

What? Did you even click on the link that was posted? It was conducted when Tavares was still an Islander. Therefore, when he was Islanders property, Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey. Now that he's Leaf property, suddenly he is.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
What? Did you even click on the link that was posted? It was conducted when Tavares was still an Islander. Therefore, when he was Islanders property, Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey. Now that he's Leaf property, suddenly he is.
You are out to lunch. I suggest you go back and read my posts although I am not positive you will be able to comprehend what was said based on your posts so far.

My point is that 20 Leaf fans (it was probably a mix of other fans as well) chose Matthews over Tavares sure, but there are a lot more than 20 Leaf fans in the world. Many even chose Tavares over Matthews in the very same poll you are talking about.....therefore saying "when he was Islanders property, Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey" is complete crazy talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You are out to lunch. I suggest you go back and read my posts although I am not positive you will be able to comprehend what was said based on your posts so far.

My point is that 20 Leaf fans (it was probably a mix of other fans as well) chose Matthews over Tavares sure, but there are a lot more than 20 Leaf fans in the world. Many even chose Tavares over Matthews in the very same poll you are talking about.....therefore saying "when he was Islanders property, Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey" is complete crazy talk.

Where did I say all Leaf fans? I specifically said the majority of Leaf fans who voted in that poll voted for Matthews rather than Tavares.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
You're missing the point buddy...I never commented on whether I thought Barkov or Matthews was better so not sure why you are quoting me.

I simply pointed out that this person was supporting the idea that the "Tavares is 4th best centre" in the league is inaccurate and then proceeds to...yes make up a poll to support the argument for Barkov is better than Matthews.......
And you’re missing the point.

The Tavares poll was used to support it

The Barkov Matthews one was used to show it wasn’t outrageous

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Just letting you know, right now, Matthews is losing a poll to Barkov.

I hope you message every single person who voted Barkov that they are just reaching and they are hating because they voted for who they felt was he superior player right now.
What's your point? We once had a poll saying Pacioretty was better than Kessel when they were both really good.

Why would I message people that have a different opinion than mine? I'm stating my opinion, you don't have to agree. These boards would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinion.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Where did I say all Leaf fans? I specifically said the majority of Leaf fans who voted in that poll voted for Matthews rather than Tavares.
Sidney the Kidney said:

It would be the bolded part above with this blanket statement where you said Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey....you are backtracking now, keep trying.​

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
What's your point? We once had a poll saying Pacioretty was better than Kessel when they were both really good.

Why would I message people that have a different opinion than mine? I'm stating my opinion, you don't have to agree. These boards would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinion.
Says the guy who took an opinion he didn’t like as proof of “hating”

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sidney the Kidney said:

It would be the bolded part above with this blanket statement where you said Leaf fans didn't think he was the 4th best center in hockey....you are backtracking now, keep trying.​

These were my first two posts on the subject. Read carefully the bolded sections.

The irony in all this "now he's a Leaf, everyone hates him" complaining is, if you look at who voted for whom in that linked poll, most Leaf fans voted for Matthews, not Tavares. There are very few actual Leaf fans who voted for Tavares.

So I guess the reverse is true as well? As soon as the Leafs sign someone, their fanbase rates them higher than previously? :sarcasm:

20 votes is a helluva lot more votes than Leaf fans who voted for Tavares in that poll. So if that other poster is going to use that poll as the definitive proof for his theory, then it also holds true that the vast majority of Leaf fans who voted, voted for Matthews, not Tavares.

In other words, the Leaf fans who actually voted didn't feel Tavares was the 4th best center in the league when he played for the Islanders. But apparently now he is, now that he plays for the Leafs.

I didn't back track at all. You just seem to have a difficult time understanding someone's point in your blind rage to defend the Leafs.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Just as you said. How good they are relative to others.

In before you continue to ignore the point
I never had an issue with either poll though....

Simply took issue with people saying the one that supported the Leafs player was bogus who then started their own poll and claimed this one was legit (i.e. Barkov and Matthews). To make it simple for you, I'm not saying either poll is wrong. I enjoy these types of polls to get an idea of what HF thinks of player comparisons.

Still very unclear what point you are trying to get across.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
These were my first two posts on the subject. Read carefully the bolded sections.

I didn't back track at all. You just seem to have a difficult time understanding someone's point in your blind rage to defend the Leafs.
Lol the only post you had where you said you were referring to the Leaf fans who actually voted in the poll was after I called you out. Nice try though.

Prior to that the conclusion to your posts was that "So I guess the reverse is true as well? As soon as the Leafs sign someone, their fanbase rates them higher than previously?" This was stated after you referred to the poll as your evidence. The same poll where a whole 20 Leaf fans voted for Matthews over Tavares lol. 20 Leaf fans definitely means the entire fanbase right.

Keep backtracking.....

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I never had an issue with either poll though....

Simply took issue with people saying the one that supported the Leafs player was bogus who then started their own poll and claimed this one was legit (i.e. Barkov and Matthews). To make it simple for you, I'm not saying either poll is wrong. I enjoy these types of polls to get an idea of what HF thinks of player comparisons.

Still very unclear what point you are trying to get across.
My point is exactly what I said.

No idea why you’re trying to attribute the motivations k spoke of to the polls. Sort of amazingly silly

They’re the motivation of the people citing them to cite them

Aka, you’re treating both cases as the same to point out some hypocrisy when they are not the same

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol the only post you had where you said you were referring to the Leaf fans who actually voted in the poll was after I called you out. Nice try though.

Prior to that the conclusion to your posts was that "So I guess the reverse is true as well? As soon as the Leafs sign someone, their fanbase rates them higher than previously?" This was stated after you referred to the poll as your evidence. The same poll where a whole 20 Leaf fans voted for Matthews over Tavares lol. 20 Leaf fans definitely means the entire fanbase right.

Keep backtracking.....

I'm not sure how much clearer I could get by saying "if you look at who voted for whom in that linked poll" to establish which segment of the fanbase I was referring to. It was in the very first paragraph of that post of mine you quoted. But of course you ignored that part to focus on the follow-up paragraph after I'd already established who I meant.

My apologies. I gave you enough credit that I figure you'd understand that from that point on once I'd already established I was talking about the people who voted, it was clear that that's who I was talking about, not the millions of Leaf fans who don't even use HF or who didn't vote in that poll.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

My point is you went after my post for being bad for having Barkov ahead of Matthews. I’m not shocked at all you wouldn’t message everyone. Back paddling is much much easier.

And then you roll out the “it’d be boring If everyone had the same opinion card”.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
My point is you went after my post for being bad for having Barkov ahead of Matthews. I’m not shocked at all you wouldn’t message everyone. Back paddling is much much easier.

And then you roll out the “it’d be boring If everyone had the same opinion card”.
You're the one saying I should message everyone with a different opinion. Talking openly on the forum is what the forum is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->