How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I kinda hate these Leafs fans who are saying I go into every Leafs thread hating on the Leafs.

This isn't true. There have been times where I've voted for the Leafs player and have stated, multiple times, that I like the team.

However, I do not like the majority of fans either proclaiming they are god's given team to win a championship and then immediately play a victim card.

You can't have it both ways.

What are fans supposed to think when every thread about the Leafs has the same posters always with the angle that they are worse than being advertised? It's one thing to come into a thread and do this, but whenever there is a single Leaf thread, and it doesn't matter which of players, coach, management, or standings is being discussed, and these same people ALWAYS find a way to distract from them, well you get the sense they are a hater.

Then you go into a thread about Matthews contract and he is getting more than McDavid, or the offer sheet thread and people are saying 15M from Arizona is a good idea lol. The narrative is clear.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
because points

Rightly or wrongly this will definitely hurt him. He basically has only finished top 10 in scoring twice in his career(although that ignores the strike season where he had an obscene amount of goals and 2014 where he most likely would have finished 2nd in scoring baring injury). All that being said 2016 + 2017 both where down years(70 points or less) no matter how you cut it

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
2eg0o3.jpg

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
And now the Leafs fans are trying to claim its "everyone else" who thinks he's overly critical

First, its everyone else that is just haters and being unfair. Now, its everyone against a handful of haters.

Reality apparently shifts to whatever is convienent. Its amazing what surrounding yourself with people you want to agree with and dismissing everything dissenting can to do perspective

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
What is truly funny is how much a few posters from other fanbases obsess over a team full of (according to said posters) overrated players that will never amount to any team success. It is to the point where more of their posts are about the Leafs than their own team. People complain about and wonder why the Canadian sports media focuses on the Leafs so much. Why wouldn't you when they have the largest fanbase and a ton of fans from other teams seem to obsess about them and read the material.

As for people trying to downplay Tavares at this point, you will be in for a rude awakening this season. He has been a top 5 C in the league with a poor supporting cast, and being the primary shutdown focus of other teams' gameplans. I can't wait to see him with Marner on his wing. It will be a thing of beauty.

Reactions: authentic

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
What is truly funny is how much a few posters from other fanbases obsess over a team full of (according to said posters) overrated players that will never amount to any team success.
Sort of proving the whole "Leafs fans can only deal in the most heavy extremes" point where any negativity is quite literally characterized as "never amount to any team success".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As for people trying to downplay Tavares at this point, you will be in for a rude awakening this season. He has been a top 5 C in the league with a poor supporting cast, and being the primary shutdown focus of other teams' gameplans. I can't wait to see him with Marner on his wing. It will be a thing of beauty.

I think you under rate the Islanders offense over the past 4-5 seasons. What you don't also consider is Tavares won't have the same lax defensive system to play in which might hurt him offensively. I am going to guess for instance Babcock will look at Tavares faceoff percentage(compared to Matthews and Kadri) and feel like he will be better served taking defensive zone faceoffs. I am also guessing Babcok won't give Tavares the leeway to take extended shifts(many times that result in goals scored but also result in defensive lapses)

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Sort of proving the whole "Leafs fans can only deal in the most heavy extremes" point where any negativity is quite literally characterized as "never amount to any team success".

There have been countless posts since the Leafs were eliminated about how they can't and won't make it past the 1st round. It is pretty funny actually. It is also funny how people are trying to downplay the significance of this signing. Looking at how the Isles fans are handling the departure should give the rest of us an inclination of how big of a signing it is.

I think you under rate the Islanders offense over the past 4-5 seasons. What you don't also consider is Tavares won't have the same lax defensive system to play in which might hurt him offensively. I am going to guess for instance Babcock will look at Tavares faceoff percentage(compared to Matthews and Kadri) and feel like he will be better served taking defensive zone faceoffs. I am also guessing Babcok won't give Tavares the leeway to take extended shifts(many times that result in goals scored but also result in defensive lapses)

I guess we shall see. :)
Who do you put your top shutdown line against? Marleau-Matthews-Nylander or Hyman-Tavares-Marner? Whoever you don't is going to feast.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
There have been countless posts since the Leafs were eliminated about how they can't and won't make it past the 1st round. It is pretty funny actually.
I've certainly seem some done in jest about how they'll never make it past. Never actually seen one that meant it. Let alone "countless"

Also sort of proves the "can only work in extremes" and adds on "overly sensitive", too

It is also funny how people are trying to downplay the significance of this signing. Looking at how the Isles fans are handling the departure should give the rest of us an inclination of how big of a signing it is.
By that logic, the "bigness" of the signing has to do with Toronto getting a player than wants to play with them because they're the Leafs, since Isles fans are upset over betrayal themselves.

In reality, Tavares shows every sign of being like every other FA signing. Extremely hyped up while in the market, and underperforms to that advertisement when reality strikes. Always happens for any hyped FA. Its the nature of FA to hype the best available players up more and more until it reaches a limit well beyond their limit. Happens every free agency, every time

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who do you put your top shutdown line against? Marleau-Matthews-Nylander or Hyman-Tavares-Marner? Whoever you don't is going to feast.

I probably put my top offensive line against Tavares and top defensive line against Matthews. On a side note I do think the smart move with Tavares is Marleau-Tavares-? given his time in NY he seems to play his best with left wingers who get infront of the net and can tip in pucks(basically it gives him 2 options, shoot or pass)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So given that Matthews had 20 votes you figure that is most Leaf fans....lol

20 votes is a helluva lot more votes than Leaf fans who voted for Tavares in that poll. So if that other poster is going to use that poll as the definitive proof for his theory, then it also holds true that the vast majority of Leaf fans who voted, voted for Matthews, not Tavares.

In other words, the Leaf fans who actually voted didn't feel Tavares was the 4th best center in the league when he played for the Islanders. But apparently now he is, now that he plays for the Leafs.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
In reality, Tavares shows every sign of being like every other FA signing. Extremely hyped up while in the market, and underperforms to that advertisement when reality strikes. Always happens for any hyped FA. Its the nature of FA to hype the best available players up more and more until it reaches a limit well beyond their limit. Happens every free agency, every time

It is hard to take anything you are saying seriously when you compare John Tavares hitting free agency to every other UFA. He is the biggest free agent to hit the market in over a decade (since Niedermayer), in his prime, and plays the most coveted position in hockey (1C). You clearly aren't understanding what a rarity that is in the NHL. Aside from that, you are comparing a premier franchise player to others like Ladd, Ericksson, Clarkson, etc. And what I mean by that is that those guys are passengers relying on others to be their catalyst and when the go to a new team with a new dynamic, they don't play as well. With Tavares, he is the catalyst. You are trying to compare apples and oranges, and showing a complete lack of understanding by insisting they are the same thing.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
It is hard to take anything you are saying seriously when you compare John Tavares hitting free agency to every other UFA. He is the biggest free agent to hit the market in over a decade (since Niedermayer), in his prime, and plays the most coveted position in hockey (1C). You clearly aren't understanding what a rarity that is in the NHL. Aside from that, you are comparing a premier franchise player to others like Ladd, Ericksson, Clarkson, etc. And what I mean by that is that those guys are passengers relying on others to be their catalyst and when the go to a new team with a new dynamic, they don't play as well. With Tavares, he is the catalyst. You are trying to compare apples and oranges, and showing a complete lack of understanding by insisting they are the same thing.

See? You're doing it again.

You complain I'm comparing him to them. How am I comparing them? You don't seem to even understand what I said. Seriously, go back and read what I said.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
See? You're doing it again.

You complain I'm comparing him to them. How am I comparing them? You don't seem to even understand what I said. Seriously, go back and read what I said. Don't sit on your hands like a cliche Leafs fan desperate to hear what they want to.

Seriously, try to make an effort to make Leafs fans look less delusional, please

LOL!
You don't seem to understand what you said...

In your own words you state,

"In reality, Tavares shows every sign of being like every other FA signing. Extremely hyped up while in the market, and underperforms to that advertisement when reality strikes."

Do you know the meaning of the word every? How many of the past free agents does the word every include?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
20 votes is a helluva lot more votes than Leaf fans who voted for Tavares in that poll. So if that other poster is going to use that poll as the definitive proof for his theory, then it also holds true that the vast majority of Leaf fans who voted, voted for Matthews, not Tavares.

In other words, the Leaf fans who actually voted didn't feel Tavares was the 4th best center in the league when he played for the Islanders. But apparently now he is, now that he plays for the Leafs.

See, it’s this double standard that I dislike. Apparently, that means I hate everything with the Leafs.

There’s some many double standards with a particular group.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
lol you even listed Barkov who has never had a 30 goal season and just finished his first season with over 60 points. You're reaching with this list. The fact Barkov is ob it proves you just are hating.

Just letting you know, right now, Matthews is losing a poll to Barkov.

I hope you message every single person who voted Barkov that they are just reaching and they are hating because they voted for who they felt was he superior player right now.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Top 5 center in the league. He has the rare ability to elevate players who belong nowhere near a top line while still producing. Only a few guys (Crosby, Malkin, McDavid) have that ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad