How good is Larkin?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd make the argument he'd go #3 behind Draisaitl and Pastrnak in a re-draft.

Pasta/Drai/Ekblad/Point go over him.

Five was up for debate at the start of the season between Larkin/Ehlers/Nylander but I think Larkin's solidified it.

Reactions: socko

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I'm not certain Drai goes over him in a redraft tbh. Both good defensive C's and good face-off men, but Larkin is a year younger, and LD's numbers the last 1.5 seasons aren't as much better than DL's as you'd think they'd be, for someone that has spent the majority of his time on a line and PP unit with Connor McDavid.

The last 1.5 seasons, Draisaitl's ES production rate goes down by 33% (To below DL's) when playing without McDavid, and asked to carry his own line- and that's against easier, 2nd line matchups.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Some interesting stats for Larkin so far this year

CF% rel - 10.7 (even strenght)
FF% rel - 12.4 (even strenght)
FO% - 55.7
Takeaways - 35 (4th in the league)

He has a very low oiSH% at 6.5%, which is bound to go up if Nyquist and Larkin continues to play with chemistery, despite this he's ranked 15th amongs centers in points. Last year he had 9% which is a pretty normal number.

He’s been really good this year. Games where he puts up zero points if still seems like he’s constantly a big difference maker.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Ristolainen is the King Kong of Buffalo defense. Now and even tomorrow.

Dahlin is a pimpled nobody compared to him.

Does it hurt Swedes ... when you pop the pimples!?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I wasn't going to make a separate thread for this but I didn't get any replies where I posted it, so what the hell. I'm curious where he stands league wide.

How many centers are better than Larkin right now?

For reference,
#20 in goals
#23 in points
#8 in ToI/GP
#6 in "Clutch" according to NHL Players excelling in game-changing goals

Where would he be on your team if you got him?
He is a good top-6 centre who at 22 definitely still has some room in his ceiling. A 1C on some teams, a 2C on others, particularly the contenders. For my Leafs he would be the 3C.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
About to watch that video now...thanks.

Check out my hoodie

20181208_123653-jpg.162899

kuch

Sep 27, 2016
I wasn't going to make a separate thread for this but I didn't get any replies where I posted it, so what the hell. I'm curious where he stands league wide.

How many centers are better than Larkin right now?

For reference,
#20 in goals
#23 in points
#8 in ToI/GP
#6 in "Clutch" according to NHL Players excelling in game-changing goals

Where would he be on your team if you got him?
Larkin is overrated, if he was on the lightning he would be no better than a #3

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
I've only seen him in 2 games this season but both he played very well everywhere. Ill catch more games but he's going to def be a good player going forward.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
He's good, right now - but not elite.

It's like he does 90% of a real high level play, then bobbles the puck or falls down.

Again, he is probably a #2c in the top third for that position, but if his body and skill fills out - he could be much more.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Doesn't matter if people rate him as a top 30 center or not. What matters is, can you play him against top 10 centers in the league and get a good result? The answer to that question is being answered with a "yes" so far this season. And that is without any strong support from wingers/d-men. Without Hossa, Keith, Kane and Seabrook, Jonathan Toews never gets rated as a top 10 or even top 20 center in the league. Yeah Larkin will never be Sidney Crosby, but zero doubt in my eyes you can build a winning team with him as your #1C.

:facepalm:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
2 assists tonight in the 1st period so far makes it 28 points in 30 games.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
To me, it seems like he can be brilliant at times, and then he can disappear. Maybe lacks a bit of consistency?

DirkStraun

Aug 9, 2015
Right now he looks like a lower end 1c, but if he keeps developing his two way game I can see him as a top 15 centre and maybe a year or two top 10 in his peak years.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He is a good top-6 centre who at 22 definitely still has some room in his ceiling. A 1C on some teams, a 2C on others, particularly the contenders. For my Leafs he would be the 3C.

Pretty debatable who has been better this season between Larkin and Tavares. Tavares has 4 more points on the year but gets to play with Marner. Larkin is better defensively. Though it might be fair to say that both are 2C on contending teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad