How good is Larkin?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Larkin is not going to get his dues until the Wings become a contenders again. Even if he produces 70-80 points plus playing a two-way game, people will still find ways to call him a second line center.

Reactions: Jurky

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Like someone posted here earlier. Would be a 2C on a contending team. 1C on the bottom 15 teams
Larkin is a lot better than the #2C on a lot of cup winning rosters... the way he is playing this season comparisons to prime Toews aren't far off. Just Larkin isn't surrounded by Hossa/Saad/Kane/Keith/Seabrook etc.
Larkin won't win scoring titles but he is becoming a guy you can play in all situations, against anyone.

Reactions: KJoe88

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Great, not elite. Star, not a superstar.

I didn't know there's a difference between great and elite. There's no "all-time elites", rather all-time greats. Larkin isn't going to be part of that group.

And the word star is used very loosely.. good players are being called stars all the time.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I didn't know there's a difference between great and elite. There's no "all-time elites", rather all-time greats. Larkin isn't going to be part of that group.

And the word star is used very loosely.. good players are being called stars all the time.

Good - great - elite are all different generic adjectives. "All-time great" is a stand alone phrase with a long history of specific use.

Reactions: KJoe88

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Larkin is ranked around 30th in scoring for centers on NHL.com. to start the year. I think he slides down to 32 if we sum results since the start of last season. That said, he is point/game over his last 33 games played.

As someone who follows the wings I've seen a lot of growth in his game over the last calendar year and he really seems to be coming into his own. He is showing more offensive creativity and driving the play in the ozone more than ever before.

Like Toews, Kesler, and Bergeron his game is more impactful than the raw #s would suggest.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I feel like over his career he'll be a Paul Stastny with a similar peak. He can be the number one centre and put up some better numbers, but once he's pushed down the depth chart and can take on a much more defensive role he will be a strong player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree with what some people are saying in here. Right now at 22 I dont think hes the one C on a cup contender unless its a team like Nashville who are stacked on D. But hes a number one center with a lot of room to grow. Hes already better than guys like Kadri and Turris with his two way game and the way his offense is developing. By the age of 25 he'll likely hit that number one center level that can win a cup. If Detroit picks another center better than Larkin they will be laughing in the future

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
The guy with 8 seasons has a better career than the guy with 3? Amazing take. It took Kardi 7 seasons to be a 60pt player.
Yes but let's see the guy get at least 1 30 goal year first b4 we say he's had a better career? Crazy thought I know, but let's wait till a player does it (and I fully believe he's capable) b4 we lable of better not just base it on what we think will happen... Of wait this is hf... I'll see my self out.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
He's really impressed me this year and last. His rookie season I thought h would be good but more of a complentery player, like Nyquist or Tatar, but the last two seasons he has shown to have the drive to be more than that.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes but let's see the guy get at least 1 30 goal year first b4 we say he's had a better career? Crazy thought I know, but let's wait till a player does it (and I fully believe he's capable) b4 we lable of better not just base it on what we think will happen... Of wait this is hf... I'll see my self out.

Again hes already had more points than Kadris career high at 21yeatd old playing on one of the worst offenses in the league. When Kadri had to be the #1C on the Leafs he was a 40pt player.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I could see him having a similar career to Couture.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Again hes already had more points than Kadris career high at 21yeatd old playing on one of the worst offenses in the league. When Kadri had to be the #1C on the Leafs he was a 40pt player.
Back to back 30 goals still gives the edge to Kadri. Again no one is saying he can’t get there. Simply to date it hasn’t happened don’t see why fans are so bent over this. How dare we wait till a young player does it over a bigger sample size...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's obviously a clear tier below elite 1Cs around the league like Tavares, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, McDavid, MacKinnon.

But he's right below that crop imo. He's such a hard worker and he's still pretty young. I think he can turn himself into a bonafide 1C. Though I don't think he'll ever reach the level of the players above.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Back to back 30 goals still gives the edge to Kadri. Again no one is saying he can’t get there. Simply to date it hasn’t happened don’t see why fans are so bent over this. How dare we wait till a young player does it over a bigger sample size...

I'd bet my life that if you polled all 31.5 GMs in the league, they take Larkin over Kadri without even thinking.

Also, Larkin could never score 30 goals and still end up better.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Larkin put up 47 assists last year. Kadri's career high is 30. Don't really care to compare the two since it's a useless argument, but cherry picking stats gets us nowhere.

Larkin's progression as a playmaker, and player in general, has been out of this world.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I feel like over his career he'll be a Paul Stastny with a similar peak. He can be the number one centre and put up some better numbers, but once he's pushed down the depth chart and can take on a much more defensive role he will be a strong player.

Well, he's already taking on a very defensive role and is already a strong player with literally no one to hide behind.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes becoming a great match up center, he might not score like some other high end 1Cs but when they play against him those other top Cs usually wont have a great night. Larkin is pretty relentless.

Matthews has been on a tear and Tavares is an elite center. With 2 top 6 players missing Larkin absolutely dominated them tonight, had a really nice assist and the game winning goal off a really bad turnover that he forced on Tavares with a really nice defensive play. Larkin is going a bit under the radar because his offensive numbers are really good but not eye popping.

Last edited:

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Currently I have him around #20 overall.
I take the following 19 centres pretty easily over Larkin.

McDavid
Matthews
MacKinnon
Point
Eichel
Tavares
Backstrom
Malkin
Crosby
Scheifele
Giroux
Barkov
Bergeron
Stamkos
Seguin
Benn
Kuznetsov
Barzal
Kopitar

Reactions: TheOtherOne

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Currently I have him around #20 overall.
I take the following 19 centres pretty easily over Larkin.

McDavid
Matthews
MacKinnon
Point
Eichel
Tavares
Backstrom
Malkin
Crosby
Scheifele
Giroux
Barkov
Bergeron
Stamkos
Seguin
Benn
Kuznetsov
Barzal
Kopitar

Well Seguin and Benn play together so you dont take Benn the winger over him. I'm not sure Barzal is better than him right now either. I'm also not going to argue Kopitar because he just had 92 points and the selke but I'm not sure last year is the norm for him either. Hes on pace for 54 points this year and 2 years ago he only had 52 points. Like I said, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but he needs to pick it up.

I'm splitting hairs but at the very least you have him inside the top 20 because Benn isnt a center.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
I'm splitting hairs but at the very least you have him inside the top 20 because Benn isnt a center.

Ya, not sure how I let that one through. Just cause I'm a stickler for an even 20, I'll throw Ryan O'Reilly in there in his place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad