How good is Larkin?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Soooo he's a top 30 C?
The post your quoting wasn't meant to prove a point, it was just supposed to be informative.

I won't directly answer your question, but do want to add that he's a lot more important to his team than the stats say.
Intangibles he said without the slightest hint of irony.

Also he's only 22 years old.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
It will be interesting to see how much better teammates would impact his game. Hes a guy that uses his team quite a bit so I think it would. I just hope he isnt past his scoring prime before he gets decent line mates to see what he can really do. But yes given his defensive play and teammates he has to work with, hes definitely a number one center in the NHL
All of a sudden his linemates look awfully good!

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Larkin is great. This draft is so important for Detroit in determining how their imminent future develops.
I hope they have a really good pulse on the projections of their recent draft picks, especially a guy like Veleno.
If all their 1st-rounders pan out, they are in good shape, but that just adds pressure to add another marquee talent with their top pick this year.
In reviewing the 2018 draft, they have a few interesting players in the first three rounds, but then it drops off.
I just reviewed the slew of players they drafted in 2017 and I don't see anyone really projecting onto the lineup (at least not within the next two years) except for Rasmussen.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
All of a sudden his linemates look awfully good!

They sure do. And when Larkin has wingers that can play at that level consistently like maybe Zadina, youll see his line dominate all season like they have lately.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He's a legit #1 center. Period.

This. The idea that you need a center better than Larkin to win the cup is clearly wrong. The only cup winning team that had center(s) clearly better than Larkin in the last decade was Pittsburgh. In a few years, I expect Larkin to be around the level of Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron when they won their cups. He's not even 23.

Reactions: TheMule93

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Yeah, okay, there.

Actually that mind set should be the OPPOSITE. You’re basically saying he’d be worse on a better team..

How many contending teams would Larkin be the #1 center on?

Tampa Bay - behind Stamkos and Point
Boston- behind Bergeron
Toronto- behind Tavares and Matthews
Pittsburgh- behind Crosby and Malkin
Washington- Behind Backstrom and probably Kuznetsov
Islanders- Behind Barzal
Carolina - Behind Aho
Columbus - Ahead of Dubois

The west is similar. He would probably be top dog, or a 1a/1b on Nashville, San Jose, St Louis, Vegas. So basically a 1b or an excellent 2a.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Boston- behind Bergeron
Islanders- Behind Barzal
Carolina - Behind Aho

The west is similar. He would probably be top dog, or a 1a/1b on Nashville, San Jose, St Louis, Vegas. So basically a 1b or an excellent 2a.

Gosh. I'd take Larkin ahead of both Backstom and Kuznetsov. He's pretty close to Aho. As a NYI fan, I'd say he's better than Barzal right now (I expect Barzal to follow a similar development curve - this year being a setback before everything clicks into focus).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Larkin is a great and underrated center.

His ideal role is a 2nd line 1c on a playoff team but on most teams he is a 1c. Probably not elite enough to be THE guy to carry you to a cup but he is so so good.

Always loved him as a player.

I dunno, essentially PPG, great defensively at age 22 while having to actually play with complete offensive garbage like Helm and Abdelkader seems like a #1C to me

Reactions: mjtm777

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Boston- behind Bergeron
Islanders- Behind Barzal
Carolina - Behind Aho

Definitely better than Barzal (this season). Clearly better than anyone on Columbus.
He’s better than many of the #1C in the West (Johansson, Couture, Karlsson, RoR, although that’s close, Monahan).

Also keep in mind he’s 22 and playing with Darren “what is a goal” Helm for most of the season.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Boston- behind Bergeron
Islanders- Behind Barzal
Carolina - Behind Aho

On the other hand, how much better would he look on a contender instead of having Helm and Abdelkader as his wingers for a large portion of the season?

Hes hitting that tier of player where you really could argue him above or on the same level as a decent number of centers on this list. The only better defensive player on this list is Bergeron. He would definitely be ahead of Barzal this year. You could argue him with guys like Kuznetsov and Backstrom at this point. If Larkin got to play with Ovechkin, have Carlson getting him the puck etc he would be putting up even bigger numbers to go with his defensive game. Right now Larkin has a higher points per game than both of them and he doesnt get close to the talent around him to work with. Aho and him are pretty comparable.

A lot of these guys have better track records and a guy like Kuznetsov has a great playoff last year as well but going based off of just play this season Larkin is at the very least comparable to a decent chunk of these guys this season. Hes not the best on the list but hes not the worst either.

Out west he would likely be the best center on Nashville over Johansen, at worst hes comparable with O'Reilly in St Louis, at worst comparable to Monahan in Calgary, I would take him over Couture in San Jose, better than anyone on Vegas. So once again, he might not have the track record of a few of these guys but hes only 22. Based off his play this year offensively and defensively, the only centers in a playoff spot out west who is clearly better this season is Mackinnon. I think Scheifele is a weird case because he has a lot of talent and hasnt seemed as dominant when I've watched this year as he was in years past. And really with the talent Scheifele plays with he should be out prducing Larkin by a lot more than he is given Larkins a better two way player.

Like I said this is based off of play this season only, no I'm not saying Larkin is a better player for sure than a lot of these guys but hes definitely comparable to most. Theres a reason hes going to be the captain of an original 6 franchise next seasno at the age of 23, some people are sleeping on him because the wings are junk.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Boston- behind Bergeron
Islanders- Behind Barzal
Carolina - Behind Aho

Larkin is way better on faceoffs than Barzal, Aho, Backstrom, Point and Kuznetsov. Offensively this year he's on par or better than all except Point. Defensively he plays at a very high level too.
If anything, some of those teams would probably shift other guys to the wing if they had Larkin in the middle.

Reactions: Danythegod

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I've watched him play most of this season as I picked him up in my keeper league because I thought he'd have a breakout year. I was right and this guy is a bonafide #1c. He does everything right when he is on the ice and with Bertuzzi now excelling on his line, it could become a very dangerous line next year.

Reactions: TheMule93

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Larkin is way better on faceoffs than Barzal, Aho, Backstrom, Point and Kuznetsov. Offensively this year he's on par or better than all except Point. Defensively he plays at a very high level too.
If anything, some of those teams would probably shift other guys to the wing if they had Larkin in the middle.
Have to agree. Larkin >> Barzal. Center that can do it all vs a one dimensional center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad