How good is Larkin?

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Man, no buzz around this kid whatsoever. Further, HFboards makes it sounds like the kid is a fringe #2 center, and best like a #3 on the majority of the teams in the NHL. Isn't he on pace for around 75-80 points this season? On a crummy team? Unless expectations have changed drastically over the course of a couple of seasons, those sound like #1 C numbers. Not to mention his play reflects those numbers to boot.

Funny this is, I do not think this kid is done developing, and will most likely hit his stride in the next couple of seasons. With a, most likely, better Wings team, he's only going to produce more.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Man, no buzz around this kid whatsoever. Further, HFboards makes it sounds like the kid is a fringe #2 center, and best like a #3 on the majority of the teams in the NHL. Isn't he on pace for around 75-80 points this season? On a crummy team? Unless expectations have changed drastically over the course of a couple of seasons, those sound like #1 C numbers. Not to mention his play reflects those numbers to boot.

Funny this is, I do not think this kid is done developing, and will most likely hit his stride in the next couple of seasons. With a, most likely, better Wings team, he's only going to produce more.

I mean they kinda have to be fair,80 points is a 0.97 PPG and two years ago there were only 9 players with more than a handful of games that had that

this year there's currently 45,obviously a few less than that will probably be at that mark when it's all said and done but that's a pretty big jump in two years

that said that still leaves Larkin at currently 24th in points per game among Centers and 18th in actual ponts among Centers while playing on a bad team and being good defensively so he's probably at a 1C level regardless

Reactions: newfy

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
giphy (1).gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I mean they kinda have to be fair,80 points is a 0.97 PPG and two years ago there were only 9 players with more than a handful of games that had that

this year there's currently 45,obviously a few less than that will probably be at that mark when it's all said and done but that's a pretty big jump in two years

that said that still leaves Larkin at currently 24th in points per game among Centers and 18th in actual ponts among Centers while playing on a bad team and being good defensively so he's probably at a 1C level regardless

It will be interesting to see how much better teammates would impact his game. Hes a guy that uses his team quite a bit so I think it would. I just hope he isnt past his scoring prime before he gets decent line mates to see what he can really do. But yes given his dfensive play and teammates he has to work with, hes definitely a number one center in the NHL

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I keep saying it. Everytime I watch a Detroit game, Larkin always looks like one of the best players on the ice. Doesn't matter who he plays against, he just does. Seen him do this a few times this year. What a marvellous skater. 6.1! What nice contract too.

He had a really nice spinorama that led to a difficult pass to Nyquist in a really good scoring spot in the same game. I would say his ability to score a really flashy play has been one of his weaknesses relative to other areas of his game. Most o his points were from hard work, but lately hes starting to make these ridiculous plays as well. Any wekaness hes had hes always improved on it like crazy and now hes starting to do stuff like this

Reactions: Realgud

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He's probably one of the most underrated players in the entire league. His development this year has skyrocketed, phenomenal two way game.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I understand people being unsure if he was a #1C earlier in the season because of sample size, but at this point the debate should basically be squashed.

A close-to-a point per game center, that is also an elite defensive and 200 foot player- is a #1C, and always has been. The fact that he's been as productive as he's been with his level of teammates only reinforces that.

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It’s a shame he got injured. Had a solid shot at 80 points this season. He’s been on fire with Bertuzzi and Mantha recently.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Very underrated, the Barkov of a couple years ago. Great skater with great hands that goes hard every shift. Tune into a Redwings game and he is always visible for the right reasons.

One of the best contracts Holland dished out for once too, if he could only do the same for his drafted depth players...

Reactions: Ulysses31

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Larkin is a great and underrated center.

His ideal role is a 2nd line 1c on a playoff team but on most teams he is a 1c. Probably not elite enough to be THE guy to carry you to a cup but he is so so good.

Always loved him as a player.

Reactions: Ulysses31

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
#31 in goals ; #15 of centers in goals
#38 in points ; #21 of centers in points [everyone above him and near him has significantly more PP points for what that's worth. DRW are #30 in PP time.]
#9 of forwards in ToI/GP ; #8 of centers in ToI/GP
#15 in "Clutch" according to NHL Players excelling in game-changing goals

Quick update as of 3 Apr.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->