How Good IS Kyle Connor

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He is very good.

Ceiling is sky high.

Jets are lucky to have him.

Possible to crack 40 goals in the next 3 years.

Better after he signs his team friendly 7 years extension ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
eeCS4K

This good and getting better.

Reactions: SLAYER

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
It's NOT just Scheifele and Wheeler! This kid has excelled in every league he's played in. He should have won the Hobey Baker easily. Such acceleration and incredible hands. Yes he hasn't thrown a body check in 6 years but no need. His ceiling has jumped in my opinion. As good as he is he's sneaky good as he's very unrecognized/underrated with the exception of Jet fans. He's untouchable.

Reactions: Jet

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
As an "outsider" who follows the Jets a bit I have to say I'm mystified by the narrative that a guy like Connor should be penalized for playing with two elite talents. I'm equally mystified by the call to breakup that line (one of the best in the league) to shoe horn other players (like Laine).

Yup theres 5 really good forwards here and only one Scheifele. Connor did a good job out there last year and looked a bit stronger and faster. He's still going to get a lot harder to knock off the puck. Same with Laine, Ehlers, Vesalainen...

I'd say Connor can pretty easily establish himself as a 1st liner in the league.

Reactions: Jet and GNP

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
As an "outsider" who follows the Jets a bit I have to say I'm mystified by the narrative that a guy like Connor should be penalized for playing with two elite talents. I'm equally mystified by the call to breakup that line (one of the best in the league) to shoe horn other players (like Laine).
To be fair my contention isn't so much that he's being penalized for playing with two elite talents, rather I think moving him along side Laine and Little gives that line an elite forechecker better balancing that line. Ehlers moves up with Scheifele and Wheeler to better aid with zone entries (not that they are in dire need of it but Ehlers is a plus in that aspect) without much of a change in talent level. I'd move Perreault down to help the rookies as I think he might do a better job with Roslovic and Vesalainen or whoever sticks there. A little more experience with Perreault than Ehlers for that line IMO.

Doing that I think balances the Jets lines a little better or at least gives it a bit of a different look - there is absolutely nothing wrong with CSW. Fully acknowledging the only real problem with forwards we have at the moment is too little ice time and going forward too little money under the cap.

Reactions: PhilJets

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Reminds me of Mike Bossy. For you young guys, check out what he did. Hi hockey IQ. Finds the sweet spot on he ice and has a great shot.

Watched most of Connor's games at Michigan on TV. Once Berenson learned he was not a right winger but a left winger he was unstoppable. Would have won the Hobey Baker as a freshman if Eichel had not won it the year before.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To be fair my contention isn't so much that he's being penalized for playing with two elite talents, rather I think moving him along side Laine and Little gives that line an elite forechecker better balancing that line. Ehlers moves up with Scheifele and Wheeler to better aid with zone entries (not that they are in dire need of it but Ehlers is a plus in that aspect) without much of a change in talent level. I'd move Perreault down to help the rookies as I think he might do a better job with Roslovic and Vesalainen or whoever sticks there. A little more experience with Perreault than Ehlers for that line IMO.

Doing that I think balances the Jets lines a little better or at least gives it a bit of a different look - there is absolutely nothing wrong with CSW. Fully acknowledging the only real problem with forwards we have at the moment is too little ice time and going forward too little money under the cap.
We can throw out our belief systems around lines all we want, but at this time and place C-S-W is one of the most dominant lines in the NHL. We just beat a highly viewed division rival 5-1 on the road with C-S-W getting a combined 6 points. C-S-W enters the offensive zone like a hot knife through butter so that will never be the reason for needing to shake up the lines.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Connor will be elite.....I was thrilled when they drafted him. He has more than lived up to the billing..

really worried if we can keep Laine, Ehlers and Connor long term...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Reminds me of Mike Bossy. For you young guys, check out what he did. Hi hockey IQ. Finds the sweet spot on he ice and has a great shot.

Watched most of Connor's games at Michigan on TV. Once Berenson learned he was not a right winger but a left winger he was unstoppable.Would have won the Hobey Baker if Eichen had not won it the year before. .

For those that don't know - Kyle Connor broke Jack Eichel's records in the NCAA with Michigan the year after Jack set the record. Connor now holds the record for the highest scoring player in American college. He broke Eichel's record by 2-3 points or more if my memory serves me correctly ?

The reason why he didn't win the Hobey Baker award had nothing to do with Eichel winning it the year before, but had more to do with politics.

Considering that Eichel was drafted around 2nd or 3rd right behind McDavid , and that Eichel signed a contract with Buffalo in the $ 8-10 mil range per year, tells you the kind of star that Connor can become--and he's already starting to prove it.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
Funny how some say that Connor has earned his place on the top line. Yes, he has done a good job with the opportunity; but so did Ehlers when he played with Scheif. There is no denying that who ever playes with Scheifele benefits big time. Let's see how the lines develop during the season; it's a joke to keep a 6m guy on the 3rd/4th line.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Here is a scary question. What if Conner actually out scores Laine this season?

I see Conner as eventual PPG+ player in the near future. Will it happen this season? Maybe not but it could happen and the Cap issue for the Jets will keep getting harder.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
IMO I believe he should play with Laine to see how well they mesh, when Connor has a good night IMO he looks like a McDavid clone at Wing(he’s Elite in every skating category, he’s very smart, he’s very accurate and deceptively strong on the boards for his size and his hands are IMO as good as I’ve seen in the league, plus he’s got a wicked shot when he’s skaking at top speed). I’m obviously not saying the Kid is gonna be McDavid good but if he can be more consistent with his good nights I believe he can be Gaudreau, Hall or even Kucherov good. I could only imagine how good that would be with the likes of Laine, Scheifele and Ehlers on this team.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Funny how some say that Connor has earned his place on the top line. Yes, he has done a good job with the opportunity; but so did Ehlers when he played with Scheif. There is no denying that who ever playes with Scheifele benefits big time. Let's see how the lines develop during the season; it's a joke to keep a 6m guy on the 3rd/4th line.

I agree with the Russian Rocket -Ehlers is a top line winger for the Jets and should be on the 1st or 2nd line. He's great in most aspects of the game, has a great shot, and is a 30 goal scorer. Makes no sense to only play him 10 minutes a game with a guy like Vesalainen who is clearly not ready for the NHL just yet.

Ehlers is also the fastest skater on the Jets, and is the most entertaining to watch. I'm sure a lot of Jet's fans are not happy with how he's being used--and I'm one of them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Here is a scary question. What if Conner actually out scores Laine this season?

I see Conner as eventual PPG+ player in the near future. Will it happen this season? Maybe not but it could happen and the Cap issue for the Jets will keep getting harder.

That is scary

He will score 55+ plus goals and close 100 points.

Beating Laine
52 goals 85 points season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Great job putting that together. I won't be altogether surprised to see Laine take less than what many are forecasting but I'm not sure it will be as low as $8.5. I wish for that but have just about zero expectation of that. I really don't see them bridging Laine, they just won't take that chance.

Connor on the other hand is in my mind the wildcard. I don't know how he feels about being here as he's largely flown under the radar with Laine's arrival. Does he like it here? Is winning more important than a huge salary? And what if Laine puts up 50 but Connor puts up 40? He's getting PP1 time, playing top line, it's not inconceivable given his hands and linemates. How do you ask a 40 goal scorer to take $6? All of these guys have egos, so if Marner is getting $8 how is Connor going to feel about a $6 offer? Probably pretty insulted. Honestly I look at the Toronto situation with Nylander and can't believe they actually publicly stated players should take a discount to play for Toronto. Uh, no, not happening. Now I do think Nylander should get a contract roughly what Ehlers % of cap is, whatever that works out to in current dollars. It's less than his ask but more than the rumored offer. I also think that Marner is going to be tough to sign next year for them. Basically Winnipeg and Toronto are in the same boat in many ways, we just got lucky with Ehlers and Scheifele signing bargain deals. My guess is they bridge Connor out of necessity and to buy some further time to clear the books but heaven help us if Connor pots another couple of 30+ goal seasons while on a bridge (which based on Trouba's ridiculous award might be $6 anyway :eek:).

I guess I'm just a little less optimistic in terms of how this is all going to work out. Let's say Laine takes $9.5 and Connor wants $7.5. It's nice to point to Ehlers and Scheifele's relative bargain contracts but we can't realistically expect either Laine or Connor to take home team discounts, it's just not the way it works in reality. Those discounts are the exception rather than the rule.

How would that impact the chemistry on the team. Chef and Ehlers specifically - How would they feel if KC and Laine sign monster contracts and detract from the teams chance to sign the players they need in a cup run? When they took team friendly deals to make the team competitive?

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
How would that impact the chemistry on the team. Chef and Ehlers specifically - How would they feel if KC and Laine sign monster contracts and detract from the teams chance to sign the players they need in a cup run? When they took team friendly deals to make the team competitive?
Scheifele got what other 60point(ish) centers coming off of ELCs got that year, MacKinnon & Barkov. The market exploded after that and now all 3 look like steals.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
What? in what way is Connor being sheltered?

He's playing on the top line for a coach who over plays his top line and likes to play best on best.......

A lot of people seem to think Connor is being gifted his spot......I think that's the farthest thing from the truth.

I think in his first camp he showed what he could be (I still think his pedigree/playing is saying "generational talent") and surprised everyone with how ready he was. He struggled early, got sent down, grew into the pro game in the AHL, Second Camp I think they wanted to keep him down to "overcook him" and maybe keep room for some more "veteran players" then when injury led to his call up he was given a shot at where TNSE saw him playing in the future. He took that ball and ran, Like Forrest Gump ran, .... he forced them to keep him on that line. I've never once thought he was being sheltered. Many nights I've thought he was not only the best Jet, but the best player on the ice.
You don't think Ehlers did before KC came? he was at 10pts in 8 games on that line before KC came.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Scheifele got what other 60point(ish) centers coming off of ELCs got that year, MacKinnon & Barkov. The market exploded after that and now all 3 look like steals.
For sure, but I think Ehlers could have gotten a little more.

Anyway, it could still create some tension imo.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

For those that don't know - Kyle Connor broke Jack Eichel's records in the NCAA with Michigan the year after Jack set the record. Connor now holds the record for the highest scoring player in American college. He broke Eichel's record by 2-3 points or more if my memory serves me correctly ?

The reason why he didn't win the Hobey Baker award had nothing to do with Eichel winning it the year before, but had more to do with politics.

Considering that Eichel was drafted around 2nd or 3rd right behind McDavid , and that Eichel signed a contract with Buffalo in the $ 8-10 mil range per year, tells you the kind of star that Connor can become--and he's already starting to prove it.
For clarity, Eichel played as a freshman in college during his draft year, while Connor played his one college year in his draft +1 year.

The fact Eichel won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, many reporters thought that hurt Connor’s chances since voters may not want to hand out the Hobey to another freshmen two years in a row, even though Connor had put up ridiculous numbers in his freshman year.

Connor is a great talent. I’ve said in these boards before that he will develop into a better player than Ehlers for the Jets. They are different players and I like what Ehlers brings. I believe Connor will have a tremendous career too.

Having Laine, Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler in our forward ranks reminds me of past SC winners with a ridiculous top 6 and 9.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
For clarity, Eichel played as a freshman in college during his draft year, while Connor played his one college year in his draft +1 year.

The fact Eichel won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, many reporters thought that hurt Connor’s chances since voters may not want to hand out the Hobey to another freshmen two years in a row, even though Connor had put up ridiculous numbers in his freshman year.

Connor is a great talent. I’ve said in these boards before that he will develop into a better player than Ehlers for the Jets. They are different players and I like what Ehlers brings. I believe Connor will have a tremendous career too.

Having Laine, Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler in our forward ranks reminds me of past SC winners with a ridiculous top 6 and 9.

Very good post Bob E --and thanks for adding a little clarity regarding Kyle Connor. I wasn't 100 % sure of what I posted, but very close. Thanks for your post.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Comparing Connor to Wheeler is not rediculous, especially in the context of future salary.

If you’re going to make that comparison, you have to factor RFA vs UFA years and also the fact that Wheeler is the Captain and team leader.

I hope no one is pointing at Wheeler’s contract as a measuring stick for these young players.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Connor should continue to play with Schiefele and Wheeler. Injuries and dry spells happen and player lines will get adjusted. I am sure we’ll see Connor and Ehlers in different lines throughout the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad