How Good IS Kyle Connor

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
No one really knows until he plays on a line without Wheeler and Scheifele. I'd hate to give him a pile of money and then see he sucks on another line.

This is my issue too. We're doing exactly the wrong thing from a cap management standpoint in sheltering our young upcoming contract while burying our elite 6m winger on 4th line. You could argue we're doing the opposite with Laine, but I believe he'll get paid either way.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
This is my issue too. We're doing exactly the wrong thing from a cap management standpoint in sheltering our young upcoming contract while burying our elite 6m winger on 4th line. You could argue we're doing the opposite with Laine, but I believe he'll get paid either way.
Agreed. Stick Connor on the 4th line and put Ehelers with Scheifele and Wheeler.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Agreed. Stick Connor on the 4th line and put Ehelers with Scheifele and Wheeler.
Right let's break up a super successful line when they are red hot. There will be plenty of time to consider all of these things when the team goes through a cold streak.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
The moment a coach tries to sabotage a player for cap purposes instead of fielding what he feels is the best lineup for the team to win during an open window of contention is the moment that coach loses the room, and faith from anyone with an ounce of logic in their brains.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The moment a coach tries to sabotage a player for cap purposes instead of fielding what he feels is the best lineup for the team to win during an open window of contention is the moment that coach loses the room, and faith from anyone with an ounce of logic in their brains.

This is hyperbole. I don't think there would be anything wrong with trying to learn what Connor is capable of before an upcoming contract.

I'm also not convinced that CSW is our best possible top line.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This is hyperbole. I don't think there would be anything wrong with trying to learn what Connor is capable of before an upcoming contract.

That's what preseason is for. Mo failed to use that time for that benefit. That is also what losing is for. You have much more room to experiment when losing than when winning.

Reactions: Bigfish and Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

I was responding to the people who are suggesting what I mentioned.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

What? in what way is Connor being sheltered?

He's playing on the top line for a coach who over plays his top line and likes to play best on best.......

A lot of people seem to think Connor is being gifted his spot......I think that's the farthest thing from the truth.

I think in his first camp he showed what he could be (I still think his pedigree/playing is saying "generational talent") and surprised everyone with how ready he was. He struggled early, got sent down, grew into the pro game in the AHL, Second Camp I think they wanted to keep him down to "overcook him" and maybe keep room for some more "veteran players" then when injury led to his call up he was given a shot at where TNSE saw him playing in the future. He took that ball and ran, Like Forrest Gump ran, .... he forced them to keep him on that line. I've never once thought he was being sheltered. Many nights I've thought he was not only the best Jet, but the best player on the ice.

Reactions: Jet and KB1971

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Connor is elite and so incredibly smart and quick to learn. I think he'd produce anywhere, all he needs a little bit of space in tight.

The cap issues are gonna suck, but he is the last young guy I move, even if he costs a couple million more than Ehlers.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Do you mean like we just did with Wheeler?
While I'm not supportive of the Wheeler contract, are you suggesting Connor and Wheeler have the same NHL resume? Pretty odd comment comparing a guy still on his ELC to a veteran NHLer.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
While I'm not supportive of the Wheeler contract, are you suggesting Connor and Wheeler have the same NHL resume? Pretty odd comment comparing a guy still on his ELC to a veteran NHLer.
Who do you think will be more productive for the Jets over the next six seasons: Kyle Connor or Blake Wheeler?

If Connor commands 8 million he has every right to demand it.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Who do you think will be more productive for the Jets over the next six seasons: Kyle Connor or Blake Wheeler.
Probably Kyle Connor, but you're changing the discussion. My point is we don't know if Connor can produce at this level with players not named Scheifele or Wheeler. Wheeler has produced without Scheifele. Comparing Wheeler to Connor is ridiculous.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Probably Kyle Connor, but you're changing the discussion. My point is we don't know if Connor can produce at this level with players not named Scheifele or Wheeler. Wheeler has produced without Scheifele. Comparing Wheeler to Connor is ridiculous.

Comparing Connor to Wheeler is not rediculous, especially in the context of future salary.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Generational is a far stretch, but he for sure has that elite ceiling.

There have been very few "generational players"- here they are in my opinion

1) Gordie Howe

2) Bobby Orr

3) Wayne Gretzky

4) Mario Lemieux

Which one would you take in a draft ?? for me it would be Gretzky or Bobby Orr -- very very tough choice, but a nice problem to have.

The bottom line is that generational players only come by us likely in the generation of time we live in.

I do not think Kyle Connor would be close to being a generational player--but a big star in the NHL-- "yes"--- a "super star"-- maybe--let's wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: angrymnky

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

There have been very few "generational players"- here they are in my opinion

1) Gordie Howe

2) Bobby Orr

3) Wayne Gretzky

4) Mario Lemieux

Which one would you take in a draft ?? for me it would be Gretzky or Bobby Orr.

The bottom line is that generational players only come by us likely in the generation of time we live.

I do not think Kyle Connor would be close to being a generational player--but a big star in the NHL-- "yes"--- a "super star"-- maybe--let's wait and see.

I would agree that "generational" has been used rather loosely in recent discussion surrounding NHL player talent. Or, we are taking it too literally.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Crosby and McDavid are generational players

I would argue Mats Sundin and Peter Forsberg to the Swedes are generational as are Ovechkin and Malkin to the Russians

Reactions: Spock

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Wheeler has produced without Scheifele. Comparing Wheeler to Connor is ridiculous.

Wheeler has never eclipsed 70 points without Scheifele as his C. Kyle was a better college player and that should hold true to the NHL. Connor is a natural goalscorer, among the next wave of elites. On a completely different level than Blake who has never scored 30.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

How would you expect him to produce at the same level with less talented line mates?
He's playing with scheif and wheels because he's very good - why not look at it from that angle rather than assuming he isn't as good with lesser players.
How do you think Scheif would perform with lesser wingers? The line will product less and he'll produce less. Does that means he's less?

Reactions: Skidooboy

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Wheeler has never eclipsed 70 points without Scheifele as his C. Kyle was a better college player and that should hold true to the NHL. Connor is a natural goalscorer, among the next wave of elites. On a completely different level than Blake who has never scored 30.
Massive speculation here. Let's see him produce with different line-mates first. I really don't care about Wheeler. Let's just see Connor produce with different line-mates before rolling up the Brinks truck for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad