How good is Brendan Smith?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Come on, they traded away a spare part to make room for him. He's at the age where he should be appearing in the NHL, it's not some super-impressive fact that he is making an NHL lineup at 23. Look at all the 08 Defenseman (younger than Smith) establishing themselves as key parts of their teams around the league. Please spare me some BS about how Karlsson would be in the AHL if he was a Red Wing. Maybe he can get to 50 points but you're already talking about him like he's there. In this thread he's been called "a better version of Letang" "the next Doughty, Yandle, Keith" and a guy who will "make losing Lidstrom no big deal". That's a ridiculous amount of overhype for a guy just bursting into the league 5 years after his draft.

They traded away a guy who is a legit NHL dman for no reason except to get Smith playing time. Why would they get rid of that depth for a conditional 7th rounder? Holland said there were a bunch of teams calling trying to get Smith at the trade deadline.

Saying hes overhyped because hes 23 is stupid because we hear that about wings prospects all the time and then they often do end up doing really well. Saying he could be a 50 point dman isnt overhype its how well he plays. You combine that with his huge hitting game and a pretty damn good fighter (pumped Shaw today) and you have a prospect worth the hype for sure

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/brendan-smith/

Have you seen him play lol?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Come on, they traded away a spare part to make room for him. He's at the age where he should be appearing in the NHL, it's not some super-impressive fact that he is making an NHL lineup at 23. Look at all the 08 Defenseman (younger than Smith) establishing themselves as key parts of their teams around the league. Please spare me some BS about how Karlsson would be in the AHL if he was a Red Wing. Maybe he can get to 50 points but you're already talking about him like he's there. In this thread he's been called "a better version of Letang" "the next Doughty, Yandle, Keith" and a guy who will "make losing Lidstrom no big deal". That's a ridiculous amount of overhype for a guy just bursting into the league 5 years after his draft.

Ok, first of all, Karlsson was the 15th overall pick. The Wings dont have the luxury of drafting that high and getting players who are as close to being NHL ready. The last time the Wings picked that high was 1991. Yes, it's been 21 years since the Red Wings had a pick that high. I assume you're about 16 years old so thats an entire 5 years before you were even born.

2nd of all, Brendan Smith could have played on this team last season. If the Wings didn't go into every year with the expectation of winning the Stanley Cup he would have been up. Wings consistently have very few spots open at the NHL level and even when they do they prefer to put veterans in those spots, rather than let a young guy learn on the fly and make tons of mistakes on a team that's trying to win. ****** teams have that luxury. Put him in the Bluejacket's system or some other ****** team and he makes the lineup at a much earlier age. Smith was better served playing big minutes in the AHL than rotating in as the 6th/7th defenseman on the Wings and playing fewer minutes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Learn to read. He said he looks like Niedermayer. No where did he say his career would mirror, plus he gave some downsides to Smith's game that are Not like SN. :shakehead

God ****. Every single player that plays a great offensive game and has skating talent is a Niedermayer lite.

Murray
Fowler
Ellis
Larsson
OEL
Smith
Gardiner

I've seen all of those guys be compared to Niedermayer. We're an original bunch.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
God ****. Every single player that plays a great offensive game and has skating talent is a Niedermayer lite.

Murray
Fowler
Ellis
Larsson
OEL
Smith
Gardiner

I've seen all of those guys be compared to Niedermayer. We're an original bunch.
And every good Swede dman plays like Lidstrom lol its true

But yeah I dont think the Nieds comparison is even close for Smith besides theyre both top notch skaters

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
He's a pretty good player...Not a big fan of 'tough guys' with shields, picking opponents much smaller than themselves..

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's a pretty good player...Not a big fan of 'tough guys' with shields, picking opponents much smaller than themselves..

Well if a 5'11 guy is gonna start punching you in the head before your gloves are even off do you expect the 6'1 (a whopping 2 inches different) player to sit there and remove his helmet while hes getting popped in the face.

Shaw got his 2 punches in when Smith wasnt ready to fight then Smith dominated him. Get used to it cause Smith is going to be around for a long time

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.

me either

but im all for tough guys kicking the **** out of small guys who try to jump them when they arent ready.

Shaw threw 2 punches with his gloves off hoping to catch Smith napping. Shaw then found out Brendan Smith can fight, and Shaw then also found out how quickly the tide can turn in a fight.

quick little note to Shaw. Next time you wanna fight, square off with a guy... Or, actually seeing how you did in this fight.. Just dont fight.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
me either

but im all for tough guys kicking the **** out of small guys who try to jump them when they arent ready.

Shaw threw 2 punches with his gloves off hoping to catch Smith napping. Shaw then found out Brendan Smith can fight, and Shaw then also found out how quickly the tide can turn in a fight.

quick little note to Shaw. Next time you wanna fight, square off with a guy... Or, actually seeing how you did in this fight.. Just dont fight.

Shaw's a scrappy young guy. I bet in his career he's the type of guy who is going to be willing to lose a lot of fights.

Considering Smith is the next Lidstrom I'l cool with trading Shaw in the box for 5 for Smith in the box for 5.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Shaw's a scrappy young guy. I bet in his career he's the type of guy who is going to be willing to lose a lot of fights.

Considering Smith is the next Lidstrom I'l cool with trading Shaw in the box for 5 for Smith in the box for 5.

If Smith is putting stars like Patty Kane on their ass like last game, than beating the crap out of someone trying to defend the blackhawks pride I wont really mind either

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
OEL especially plus Larsson and I haven't seen him much yet but it seems like Smith are all a lot nastier/meaner than Niedermayer or Lidstrom.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
OEL especially plus Larsson and I haven't seen him much yet but it seems like Smith are all a lot nastier/meaner than Niedermayer or Lidstrom.

Yeah definitely. I havent seen much of OEL but thats what I hate about every decent defeenseman comparison defaulting to Lidstrom or Nieds.

Smith definitely doesnt play like Lidstrom, hes like a Kronwall that fights. But for some reason he sees comparisons to Yandle and Niedermeyer, two guys wo dont have any physical edge to their game at all while Smiths edge is a huge part of his game

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah definitely. I havent seen much of OEL but thats what I hate about every decent defeenseman comparison defaulting to Lidstrom or Nieds.

Smith definitely doesnt play like Lidstrom, hes like a Kronwall that fights. But for some reason he sees comparisons to Yandle and Niedermeyer, two guys wo dont have any physical edge to their game at all while Smiths edge is a huge part of his game

because people just focus on a single big aspect of the player and throw out comparisons based purely on that

for Brendan Smith that aspect people focus on is his skating

RedWingsNow*

I would say Smith is a much, much better skater than Kronwall. His lateral movement and quickness is top level. I can't think of another dman that skates like him. I would compare his skating to Skinner.

Smith is young and still needs to learn the D side of the game, but he's got the hockey intelligence to excel at that... he's already head and shoulders better than last season. He's progressing so fast, it's like he's a born natural.

I see Smith as taking dumb penalties and making boneheaded unnecessary hits that might get him suspended, and will quickly become hated by other team's fans.

He's pure offense. I'd be surprised if he tops out at 50 points, he's got the tools to be the best offensive dman in the league.

I'd compare him to a higher scoring Latang with a nasty streak.

Nobody should take the above seriously.
1) Earlier you said Detroit has their found replacement for Lidstrom. LOLOL Whatever.
2) You say he's a much, much better skater than Kronwall. Seems pretty ridiculous to me, as Kronwall is a very smooth skater and very good at every aspect of skating—except perhaps top end speed.
Comparing his skating t Skinner? Good Lord.:laugh::laugh:
3) Letang had 50 points last year in his 4th full season. This season, he's scoring at an 18goal 62 point pace.

RedWingsNow*

Smith actually reminds me of Gary Suter.... real good skater, nice offense and some snarl. 50 points is too conservative for him.... I could see him scoring 55 points easily.

I think Suter was a lot tougher than Smith. And I'm not talking about fighting, or open ice hitting. But just tough, in your face, make every play a battle kind of defense.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
2) You say he's a much, much better skater than Kronwall. Seems pretty ridiculous to me, as Kronwall is a very smooth skater and very good at every aspect of skating—except perhaps top end speed.

I think hes got an edge in the skating department on Kronwall already. He walks the blueline better than anyone on Detroit besides Lidstrom and has a higher top speed than Kronwall.

Smith is probably one of the better skating prospects in the NHL for d men

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I think hes got an edge in the skating department on Kronwall already. He walks the blueline better than anyone on Detroit besides Lidstrom and has a higher top speed than Kronwall.

Whats his skating like compared to Gardiners?

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
4 points in 7 games and has looked great. He better be up full time next year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Whats his skating like compared to Gardiners?

I would say Gardiner has better top speed but Smith isnt very far off. Smith might actually have the better lateral movement of the 2 actually though, the way he can walk that blue line is a thing of beauty. Watch for it if you get a chance to see him play.

I actually think that Gardiner is fairly comparable to Smith, they play a similar game except Smith has that edge to his game.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Let me first qualify by saying that I thought Ericsson looked great in his rookie year but...

To me, Smith looks like a next generation elite player. He's got raw new age skills, great mobility/ice coverage that allows him to jump up whenever he wants with no risk of consequence. He seems to have a mature and focused demeanor. He plays like he's much bigger than 6'1".(his size/reach and skating remind me of a smoother Jiri Fischer) He's got some major sauce on his passes and a creative mind opening up unconventional angles like Hudler. He makes the Red Wings much more dangerous right now, and I expect him to be a regular in the playoffs.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Ive watched him quite a bit and honestly look no further than Nik Kronwall. They are so similar its scary.

Both big shooters who play good offensive hockey but arent amazing in their own end. Smith is known for throwing big hits as well.

Smith is a bit meaner infront of the net and dirtier with his stick and is also going to be a pretty good fighter.

So I basically see him as a Kronwall who fights and will hack you infront of the net

Pretty much nailed it on the head there. Exciting player to say the least.

RedWingsNow*

An edge on Kronwall? Fine.
Not much, much better than Kronwall.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
An edge on Kronwall? Fine.
Not much, much better than Kronwall.

Yeah an edge on Kronwall who has been in the league how long? Smith is only going to improve more. In his prime I think he'll be pretty noticeably better than him, right now the difference isnt that big though.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah an edge on Kronwall who has been in the league how long? Smith is only going to improve more. In his prime I think he'll be pretty noticeably better than him, right now the difference isnt that big though.

Right, OK. I know you think you've got to argue with whatever I say, no matter where I say it, but consider what I am responding to:

I would say Smith is a much, much better skater than Kronwall. His lateral movement and quickness is top level. I can't think of another dman that skates like him. I would compare his skating to Skinner.

He's not talking about the future. He's talking about now. He's comparing Smith skating to the skating of Skinner, who is considered as perhaps the most agile skater in the NHL right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad