How good is Brendan Smith?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Babcock stated after the trade deadline that they wanted Smith on the team from the start of the year, they traded Commie just to get him in the lineup because hes too good for the AHL.

Hes on a terrible team and missed the start of the season from suspension and is still top 5 in d scoring down there. He should get played quite a bit down the stretch and possibly earn a spot in the playoffs.

Hes playing tonight against CBJ

HTT3*

Babcock stated after the trade deadline that they wanted Smith on the team from the start of the year, they traded Commie just to get him in the lineup because hes too good for the AHL.

Hes on a terrible team and missed the start of the season from suspension and is still top 5 in d scoring down there. He should get played quite a bit down the stretch and possibly earn a spot in the playoffs.

Hes playing tonight against CBJ

I thought Smith was Lidstrom until I noticed Lidstrom was out with an ankle injury... Smith looked very solid and was a amazing QBing the PP. He has a special savvy-ness about him that made me think he was Lidstrom.

Smith is going to be the type of dman like people talk about Drew Doughty, Keith Yandle, Duncan Keith... yes he looks like he will develop in to an elite NHL defenseman.

HTT3*

This kid is a stud. He scored an NHL goal last night. And what really stood out to me is his hockey smarts and skating. This kid has lateral skating that would make Datsyuk [mod]. He's a very savvy skater.

I know why this kid is so hyped now, he's a future star. Looks like Detroit found their Lidstrom replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Brendan Smith is one of the more talented young dmen in the game imo. this kid has such a bright future and was a joy to see play at Wisconsin. I think the NCAA is developing a ton of solid NHL ready dmen, and when you see Canadian kids like Smith and Schultz following this path it is only going to get better overall imo.

had a great game last night, one of many more to come. great kid!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Offensive potential?

Player comparable?
Offensive potential is probably a 50 point #2 if everything goes right. I could see him occupying the role Kronwall has when Lidstrom is out: top pairing offensive sparkplug who usually manages to stay out of trouble defensively. A bit of a gambler.

Comparable is... I dunno. I'll just describe. He's an incredible skater with ridiculous agility and a pretty good frame (6'2, 200ish right now). Likes to jump into the play because he knows he can get back in time. Good shot and loves to use it, good passer. Thinks the game in an offensive way. Hockey sense is pretty darn good.

Defensively needs a bit of work still, but has come a long way since he left college. Brings a bit of nastiness to his defensive play and will hit, fight, scrum, etc. His older brother is a big time fighter in pro lacrosse, so the kid knows how to throw em.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Offensive potential?

Player comparable?

I would say 50 point potential and he plays exactly like Kronwall. Has a bit more offensive flair and isnt as good of a hitter. But Smith is a hitter and plays on the edge too. Hes a pretty good fighter, his brother Rory Smith is the best fighter in the NLL so its genetic I would say.

There was a play where he picked up the puck off the wall and walked the blue line where he just looked amazing

HTT3*

I would say 50 point potential and he plays exactly like Kronwall. Has a bit more offensive flair and isnt as good of a hitter. But Smith is a hitter and plays on the edge too. Hes a pretty good fighter, his brother Rory Smith is the best fighter in the NLL so its genetic I would say.

There was a play where he picked up the puck off the wall and walked the blue line where he just looked amazing

I would say Smith is a much, much better skater than Kronwall. His lateral movement and quickness is top level. I can't think of another dman that skates like him. I would compare his skating to Skinner.

Smith is young and still needs to learn the D side of the game, but he's got the hockey intelligence to excel at that... he's already head and shoulders better than last season. He's progressing so fast, it's like he's a born natural.

I see Smith as taking dumb penalties and making boneheaded unnecessary hits that might get him suspended, and will quickly become hated by other team's fans.

He's pure offense. I'd be surprised if he tops out at 50 points, he's got the tools to be the best offensive dman in the league.

I'd compare him to a higher scoring Latang with a nasty streak.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Smith actually reminds me of Gary Suter.... real good skater, nice offense and some snarl. 50 points is too conservative for him.... I could see him scoring 55 points easily.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Guy's played five games in his career and is now the next Doughty, Keith, or heck even Lidstrom. Give him the next seven Norris Awards I guess.. Say this about any other 23 year old rookie, and see how people respond.

RomersWorld*

I would say Smith is a much, much better skater than Kronwall. His lateral movement and quickness is top level. I can't think of another dman that skates like him. I would compare his skating to Skinner.

Smith is young and still needs to learn the D side of the game, but he's got the hockey intelligence to excel at that... he's already head and shoulders better than last season. He's progressing so fast, it's like he's a born natural.

I see Smith as taking dumb penalties and making boneheaded unnecessary hits that might get him suspended, and will quickly become hated by other team's fans.

He's pure offense. I'd be surprised if he tops out at 50 points, he's got the tools to be the best offensive dman in the league.

I'd compare him to a higher scoring Latang with a nasty streak.

:laugh:

Holy overreaction. Dude is a 23 year old rookie. What he is doing is nice and all, but he is 3-4 years old than when guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, ect. were doing it. Now that he has 5 NHL games under his belt as a 23 year old and he is the next Lidstrom? Are you forgetting Lidstrom was so great for his defensive game? Smith is nowhere near(and will never be).

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
:laugh:

Holy overreaction. Dude is a 23 year old rookie. What he is doing is nice and all, but he is 3-4 years old than when guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, ect. were doing it. Now that he has 5 NHL games under his belt as a 23 year old and he is the next Lidstrom? Are you forgetting Lidstrom was so great for his defensive game? Smith is nowhere near(and will never be).

Where he said that Smith is next Lidstrom? And frankly, age is secondary. Dmen take more time to develop. How is Doughty doing nowadays? We will see how Smith develops further, but he seems to be a very good prospect.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Guy's played five games in his career and is now the next Doughty, Keith, or heck even Lidstrom. Give him the next seven Norris Awards I guess.. Say this about any other 23 year old rookie, and see how people respond.
He's not very similar to either of those. What he is, however, is a major league D prospect who is going to make a big splash in the near future.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

The wings traded away a vet with playoff experience to get this guy in the lineup because hes just too good. The wings usually let their young guys play until theyre no longer waiver exempt in the AHL.

People will be surprised at how good Smith is going to be. I dont agree with saying he'll be the top defensive scorer but 50 points while being able to fight most guys in the league and hit very hard is a VERY valuable player

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The wings traded away a vet with playoff experience to get this guy in the lineup because hes just too good. The wings usually let their young guys play until theyre no longer waiver exempt in the AHL.

People will be surprised at how good Smith is going to be. I dont agree with saying he'll be the top defensive scorer but 50 points while being able to fight most guys in the league and hit very hard is a VERY valuable player

Come on, they traded away a spare part to make room for him. He's at the age where he should be appearing in the NHL, it's not some super-impressive fact that he is making an NHL lineup at 23. Look at all the 08 Defenseman (younger than Smith) establishing themselves as key parts of their teams around the league. Please spare me some BS about how Karlsson would be in the AHL if he was a Red Wing. Maybe he can get to 50 points but you're already talking about him like he's there. In this thread he's been called "a better version of Letang" "the next Doughty, Yandle, Keith" and a guy who will "make losing Lidstrom no big deal". That's a ridiculous amount of overhype for a guy just bursting into the league 5 years after his draft.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
If you've seen him play consistantly, what is this guy's upside? If you can compare him to a player in the NHL, please do...

He plays alot like Subban from the few times i've seen him.

I think he can play. He is good enough to play in the NHL

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

A good comparable is Jeff Petry. Both received raves as NCAA d men and played around the same time and have similar skillsets - except Smith is nastier and a little more herald and a year younger. His upside is high. Seen both(briefly) in the AHL and NCAA and both are often the best D on the ice.

Petry is why the Oilers traded Gilbert away.

HTT3*

Another amazing game by Smith. This kid is the real deal, folks. He laid out a blackhawk player and made him his little *****. Then he beat the hell out of another guy.

Nice crisp passing, skates like the wind, and has the offensive skills to make Lidstrom blush. There's a lot to be excited about with this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->