How good is Brendan Smith?

DreamCatcher*

With a name like Brenden Smith, he is destined to be an average player.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Detroit drafted him, so he's destined to be a Stanley cup winner at one point. Though, he'll probably not make his first appearence in the NHL until his late 20:s:D

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
His upside right now is probably 1st or 2nd pair defenseman, a powerplay quarterback with a great shot. He can make good outlet passes, but he's still refining his defensive game just a bit.

If I had to make a comparison, I would say a more raw version of Scott Niedermayer with less impressive skating and a more impressive slapshot.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
His upside right now is probably 1st or 2nd pair defenseman, a powerplay quarterback with a great shot. He can make good outlet passes, but he's still refining his defensive game just a bit.

If I had to make a comparison, I would say a more raw version of Scott Niedermayer with less impressive skating and a more impressive slapshot.

Niedermayer? Smith's looking good, certainly, but let's quell the hof speculation.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If he keeps developing, I see him as a more sound Bryan McCabe - very good shot and potent on the PP point.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
With a name like Brenden Smith, he is destined to be an average player.

:sarcasm:

Hall of Famers:
Tom Smith
George Armstrong
Brian O’Neill
Craig Patrick
Richard Moore
Brad Park
Billy Smith
Mike Grant
Joe Malone
Bill Cook
George Richardson
Bob Clarke
Tom Johnson
Gordon Roberts

Most recently, Scott Stevens.

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
If you've seen him play consistantly, what is this guy's upside? If you can compare him to a player in the NHL, please do...

He plays alot like Subban from the few times i've seen him.

If i'm being safe, he's a bit tougher version of Adrian Aucoin, If i'm projecting a little bit, I think Rob Blake is a much better comparison. Maybe he ends up a poor man's Rob Blake, but he certainly has the edge, the shot, and the vision to pull of a poor man's Rob Blake. Of course you could probably say the same for Subban. Blake and Smith both came from strong NCAA careers, should be interesting to see how quickly Smith develops.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ive watched him quite a bit and honestly look no further than Nik Kronwall. They are so similar its scary.

Both big shooters who play good offensive hockey but arent amazing in their own end. Smith is known for throwing big hits as well.

Smith is a bit meaner infront of the net and dirtier with his stick and is also going to be a pretty good fighter.

So I basically see him as a Kronwall who fights and will hack you infront of the net

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Ive watched him quite a bit and honestly look no further than Nik Kronwall. They are so similar its scary.

Both big shooters who play good offensive hockey but arent amazing in their own end. Smith is known for throwing big hits as well.

Smith is a bit meaner infront of the net and dirtier with his stick and is also going to be a pretty good fighter.

So I basically see him as a Kronwall who fights and will hack you infront of the net

Sounds like he'll be a real fan favorite, eh?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sounds like he'll be a real fan favorite, eh?

Definitely. He has a mean streak and swagger about him that the wings lack right now. If Kronwall could fight well he would be absolutely worshipped in Detroit to go along with his solid offense and huge hits.

Smith brings some size to the back end as well which has been lacked.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Smith is a very common name.

my names is Brendan Smith. There were 3 of us in my graduating class alone and about 6 in the whole school lol. Whenever is see this thread i cant help but for a split second say "what???" then i realize oh yea im not a top ranked prospect, just an HF nerd who rarely plays shinny anymore haha

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
my names is Brendan Smith. There were 3 of us in my graduating class alone and about 6 in the whole school lol. Whenever is see this thread i cant help but for a split second say "what???" then i realize oh yea im not a top ranked prospect, just an HF nerd who rarely plays shinny anymore haha

You'll always be my favorite prospect.

birddog*

Not even close.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I have to say: every time I see him play, I am pleasanly surprised by the ferocity that he hits with. I knew he was a decent sized great skater but never knew that he was so aggressive.

My feeling is that his size, skating, shooting and passing are all pretty good but his defensive awareness is only average; coaching can sometimes alleviate some of that though.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia

My name is Xavier Ouellette. Hahah its sweet seeing my name in prospect talks

HTT3*

The kid sure does have a nasty-ness to his game. That's good to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->