How good is Ben Hutton?

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Hes decent at everything but never on the same night. still a solid depth guy, but id imagine he wants 3-4 million.

His first big contract threw him off track, couldn't handle having money and some local fame

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
3rd pairing/depth Dman for me. He might not cost you games, but he doesn't do anything well enough to help you win. His defensive game has holes, he isn't consistent physically, his conditioning is questionable, and his offence largely consists of a sidestep & weak lob from the blueline. That's bad enough to the point where he made Biega look talented. He was an rfa on a rebuilding team, and they let him walk. Of coarse they are idiots for not getting anything at all for him, but he still kinda sucks.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
@Bet the Over i see some people here with an agenda so heres what we had to say in January about him before this drama happend. 89% of us ranked him our #3 dman. Doesnt mean he is a #3 dman on a cup winning team, but was liked. I think could be a 4 or 5 on a team looking to win

Who is the Canucks #3 dman? 2019 edition
Well well, look who's back!

btw, full props for manning up and posting a congrats on the Blues' board.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really feel sorry for Hutton. I honestly can't think of a player who's been more maligned due to the incompetence of the partner he was saddled with. Gudbranson basically ruined his career. You can't help but wonder how he and Stecher would've turned out had they gone to half decent teams early on instead of this ****pile.

C'mmon. Gudbranson played 30 games in Hutton's 2nd year here. He actually had it easy under Willie. Hutton has played 4 seasons here and had opportunities away from Gudbranson. Stetcher is fine.

@Bet the Over i see some people here with an agenda so heres what we had to say in January about him before this drama happend. 89% of us ranked him our #3 dman. Doesnt mean he is a #3 dman on a cup winning team, but was liked. I think could be a 4 or 5 on a team looking to win

Who is the Canucks #3 dman? 2019 edition

I didn't vote in that poll. I'm surprised at the results. My vote would have gone to Stecher.

It's sad when not only do PP opportunities go to vets on a basement team deluding themselves that they can be competitive, but the young players with some potential end up having to babysit some of the worst vets on the team. Then the players with no potential get gifted the soft minutes the young players should get so that they don't get completely exposed.

This whole team is backwards in literally every area. Management, development, coaching and roster/deployment. Quite remarkable.

What does this got to do with Hutton? Edler has proven to be the best PP option among Canucks Dmen the past 2 years (outside of Hughes coming in). At no time did Hutton deserve PP time over Edler.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
My take: Hutton is mobile and can make a pass but he seems to have trouble figuring out where he should be on the ice when he doesn't have the puck, especially in his own end. Pair him with a low IQ player like Gudbranson and you have a disaster. Pair him with smart players like Tanev or Stecher and he looks much better. So don't expect Hutton to provide any kind of "shut down" capability but he can be an okay 3rd pairing guy with the right partner (kind of like Gudbranson in Pittsburgh playing with Marcus Pettersson).

As for the poll, I see it was posted by a guy who is probably on a lot of people's ignore lists. He was on mine at the time. (I made a resolution to zero out my ignore list so I can see his posts again although I'm tempted to start adding people back). Hard to believe Stecher got so few votes. It's also very depressing to see the other choices.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
A lot of interesting names still left on the backend for the UFA class. Hutton can't love how guys like Stone and Shattenkirk were also added to the list this week.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A lot of interesting names still left on the backend for the UFA class. Hutton can't love how guys like Stone and Shattenkirk were also added to the list this week.

Shouldn't affect him too much. Hutton is a left shot left-side D and younger. A team thinking Hutton can help their PP might be interested in Shattenkirk thinking he can bounceback...

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Shouldn't affect him too much. Hutton is a left shot left-side D and younger. A team thinking Hutton can help their PP might be interested in Shattenkirk thinking he can bounceback...
yeah, I think Stone is too come to think of it. Still a relatively bloated market in general. They'll be signed once the RFA thing is figured out everywhere.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hey Vancouver fans, Devil fan here.

What can you tell me about Ben Hutton? Living on the east coast, I don't get to watch many Canuck games. Is he good defensively? The Devils are in need of a top 4 shutdown LHD. Would Ben Hutton make sense for the Devils?

Thanks!

Cheers.
He was annoying. Was pretty excited about how he splashed into the league as a rookie... but failed to develop any of his offensive attributes he teased as a rookie.

Good size. Good skating. Good tools in general. But lacks IQ and a NHL caliber shot.

Dmen generally always improve with experience so you expect some further development with his defensive reliability considering his age... but he's near the top of his offensive creativity. - The highlight of his season last yr was when he was placed on the 1st unit PP for a few games and people here were blown away at how well he was able to pass the puck to Pettersson on one wing, and then sometimes to Boeser on the other wing.

Team got to the point where they had to cut bait with the notion he had anything offensive to contribute and settle on the fact he's a 1-way dman.... so they opted to upgrade with Benn and see what we have internally instead of re-upping him.

He is definitely a very good depth option for ANY team to have on the bottom pair as he's proven he's capable of eating big minutes when needed. He is not at all a pure liability, but he will lose battles and lose his man, not every shift, but probably every game.

I wouldn't target him as a top 4 shutdown LHD. More of a bottom 4 slowdown LHD.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
He was annoying. Was pretty excited about how he splashed into the league as a rookie... but failed to develop any of his offensive attributes he teased as a rookie.

Good size. Good skating. Good tools in general. But lacks IQ and a NHL caliber shot.

Dmen generally always improve with experience so you expect some further development with his defensive reliability considering his age... but he's near the top of his offensive creativity. - The highlight of his season last yr was when he was placed on the 1st unit PP for a few games and people here were blown away at how well he was able to pass the puck to Pettersson on one wing, and then sometimes to Boeser on the other wing.

Team got to the point where they had to cut bait with the notion he had anything offensive to contribute and settle on the fact he's a 1-way dman.... so they opted to upgrade with Benn and see what we have internally instead of re-upping him.

He is definitely a very good depth option for ANY team to have on the bottom pair as he's proven he's capable of eating big minutes when needed. He is not at all a pure liability, but he will lose battles and lose his man, not every shift, but probably every game.

I wouldn't target him as a top 4 shutdown LHD. More of a bottom 4 slowdown LHD.

Thank you. I hope the Devils can find somebody to play their left side with Subban on the top pair

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
An arbitrator just awarded Joel Edmundson (LHD) $3.1 million. The club was offering $2.3 and Edmundson was asking for $4.2. Edmundson had 11 points in 64 games with 19:23 ATOI. Looking at this case makes me think Hutton had a very good chance to get a number close to or above $4 million if he had been able to go to arbitration.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
An arbitrator just awarded Joel Edmundson (LHD) $3.1 million. The club was offering $2.3 and Edmundson was asking for $4.2. Edmundson had 11 points in 64 games with 19:23 ATOI. Looking at this case makes me think Hutton had a very good chance to get a number close to or above $4 million if he had been able to go to arbitration.
Hutton was asking north of $4m, and its obvious that the Canucks would not have liked the figure that the arbitrator would have come up with.

After Gardiner gets signed, you would expect Hutton to be signed shortly after that

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Devils need a Left handed defensive defenseman, not offensive. Butcher, Subban, Severson, Ty Smith are all more offensive minded than defensive.

:)
Might be better off signing Andrew McDonald if you could get him at the right price...The only other Left D- Man available in FA is Dion Phaneuf.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
yeah, I think Stone is too come to think of it. Still a relatively bloated market in general. They'll be signed once the RFA thing is figured out everywhere.

There's a lot of good players still on the market, but I think once unsigned RFAs are factored in, that there is almost no cap space left league wide.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Hutton was asking north of $4m, and its obvious that the Canucks would not have liked the figure that the arbitrator would have come up with.

After Gardiner gets signed, you would expect Hutton to be signed shortly after that
Context.

And why was Hutton looking for 4 mill + ?

Because Benning was an idiot signing him to his last contract.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Context.

And why was Hutton looking for 4 mill + ?

Because Benning was an idiot signing him to his last contract.
If I can recall, most fans were happy with that signing..What Benning signed him for (a 2 year bridge deal at $2.8M) has no impact on what he can get on the free market...My guess is he will get just over $3m per.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
If I can recall, most fans were happy with that signing..What Benning signed him for (a 2 year bridge deal at $2.8M) has no impact on what he can get on the free market...My guess is he will get just over $3m per.
He wasn't worth 2.8 when he signed that contract.

But Benning.

POM, if YOU haven't figured out that Benning overpays for EVERYTHING then I don't know what to say.

Myers for example....3 mill tops (per year) for what he delivers.

But Gillis!

Excuse

Excuse.

Excuse.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->