How good is Alexander Wennberg?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If he stops in development now he's probably a 1/2#C. If he takes yet another step next season with faceoffs and maybe even his shot he could become a decent #1C. Will probably never become a elite player

While I would love to see wennberg become a prominent player in this league I do have a hard time seeing it. More realistcly I think he peaks with a couple of 70 point seasons while most of his career he's a strong 2#C at 60 ish points with good 2-way game.

But I really hopes he turns into a 1#C, Sweden national team could use some better offense :p

You must be one of those "#1C = elite C" folks. Because I can tell you there probably aren't more than a handful of centers in the league who regularly top the game you described there. Last year there were 17 centers total who produced more than 60 points, and it is assuredly a small number of centers who routinely do that and with excellent defense.

Wished the Hawks went after him rather than Dano, and frankly probably could have got him because Dano's value was sky high after his end of that season.

I'm pretty sure Jarmo has always been much higher on Wennberg.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Was just thinking of how good he has been this year. Really a catalyst to much of CBJ success.

CBJ has such an amazing future ahead of them.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Finally starting to hit on some of these draft picks, which was what they said was Jarmo's bread and butter when came on board.

Zach Werenski was 8th overall, which can be very hit or miss draft position. It gets even harder when you get to 14th where Wennberg was drafted. This is why I'm willing to give Jarmo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to PL Dubois.

Here's the centers drafted ahead of Wennberg: Mackinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Horvat, Domi. I understand there's all sorts of variables and factors in play here, but Wennberg's got more points this season than any of those guys. Something to think about.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
He's good.

But he is really good on the power play as more than half his points have come from it.

I still don't think he drives a lot of offense even strength.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He's good.

But he is really good on the power play as more than half his points have come from it.

I still don't think he drives a lot of offense even strength.

I just don't understand what people are getting at when they say stuff like this. He's helping run the #1 PP in the league, so clearly he doesn't drive much offense?

I know that's not exactly what you're saying, but still.. Seriously?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I just don't understand what people are getting at when they say stuff like this. He's helping run the #1 PP in the league, so clearly he doesn't drive much offense?

I know that's not exactly what you're saying, but still.. Seriously?

He clearly said even strength. Points are points, but he's just making an observation.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Like i said when he played for team Sweden in WJC, he is better than Filip Forsberg. Wennberg is an excellent passer, he plays an complete game (maybe more hits and better faceoffs) and he's ridiculously good at carrying the puck and shielding the puck. He's really good defensively as well.

Forsberg scored the goals but Wennberg was the team's engine.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Like i said when he played for team Sweden in WJC, he is better than Filip Forsberg. Wennberg is an excellent passer, he plays an complete game (maybe more hits and better faceoffs) and he's ridiculously good at carrying the puck and shielding the puck. He's really good defensively as well.

Forsberg scored the goals but Wennberg was the team's engine.

Yes, he's found a nice role on the 1PP that he's excellent at, which is where the offensive numbers are coming from. But his real talent is between the blue lines, possessing the puck and impeding the other team from transition.

"Engine" is the perfect metaphor.

And William Karlsson is very quietly doing the same thing on one of the best 3rd lines in the East (Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad