How good can Lessard be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
The HF board had Lessard as the stars 12th best propsect. THN has him 4th. Is Lessard just a college player with one good year or can be become a top 6 forward relatively shortly. I have never seen him play so any insight is appreciated

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Can't be sure exactly, but you've got to imagine he's in the same boat as Chris Kunitz. Very talented, but size is once again an issue. At 24 years of age, 5'11 and 185, he compares very easily with Kunitz. Almost the exact same size, similar collegiate stats (though Kunitz didn't win the Hobey Baker, Sejna did)..

Last season Kunitz put up 6 points in 21 games (all assists).

So Lessard has an uphill battle I'd say.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Jay Thompson said:
Can't be sure exactly, but you've got to imagine he's in the same boat as Chris Kunitz. Very talented, but size is once again an issue. At 24 years of age, 5'11 and 185, he compares very easily with Kunitz. Almost the exact same size, similar collegiate stats (though Kunitz didn't win the Hobey Baker, Sejna did)..

Last season Kunitz put up 6 points in 21 games (all assists).

So Lessard has an uphill battle I'd say.

I agree. Kunitz and Lessard could potentially have great careers in the NHL, but at the same time they could easily fall off the map and become AHL regulars.

I'm a big fan of Junior...if only he didn't play for the Stars :p:

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
I'm a fan of him, and even though I don't follow the Stars I think he'll be a good fit there should he become a St.Louis-type player. But I do think the Stars plan on finding out soon, since they lost Young. He could be a great NHLer, or a bust. I think he'll get 60-75 points at best in the NHL though.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
No way does he become like Martin St. Louis. St. Louis was a stud player throughout his college career and played in college straight out of high school so he didn't have the added advantage of being older than many of the peers in his college class. Lessard came into college at age 20, really didn't stand out until his final year and he was older than a number of his peers in his class.

I see Lessard as mostly an AHL type. He'll get some NHL time but I'd be surprised to see him stick for very long periods of time. He has a pretty hard shot but I don't think his overall game is much to brag about

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
It depends upon who he's paired with and what role the Stars have him playing in. Lessard had a great career at UMD (well with the exception of his freshman season). He's got some great skills, is a very good skater and has a great attitude/work ethic. If Lessard is paired with the right players, that is, those who can get him the puck, he should fare quite well with the Stars. Also, it will depend upon how quickly he makes the transition to the pro game. Some players (such as John-Michael Liles) make the transition quickly and do very well from almost the get-go in the pros.....specifically the NHL, while other players (such as Peter Sejna) need more time to adjust.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Oilers Chick said:
It depends upon who he's paired with and what role the Stars have him playing in. Lessard had a great career at UMD (well with the exception of his freshman season). He's got some great skills, is a very good skater and has a great attitude/work ethic. If Lessard is paired with the right players, that is, those who can get him the puck, he should fare quite well with the Stars. Also, it will depend upon how quickly he makes the transition to the pro game. Some players (such as John-Michael Liles) make the transition quickly and do very well from almost the get-go in the pros.....specifically the NHL, while other players (such as Peter Sejna) need more time to adjust.

Armstrong stated that there's a good chance Lessard will replace Scott Young next season, saying that Lessard will likely be Turgeon's or Modano's winger. I rarely know anything about him or his game aside from the fact that he's quite small and that he appears to have a good shot but may he not produce it won't be because of his linemates.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Modano = Dud said:
Armstrong stated that there's a good chance Lessard will replace Scott Young next season, saying that Lessard will likely be Turgeon's or Modano's winger. I rarely know anything about him or his game aside from the fact that he's quite small and that he appears to have a good shot but may he not produce it won't be because of his linemates.

I don't know what you're description of "quite small" is, but I don't view a player who is 6'0/195 as small. He may be a bit on the thin size, but he's not short. He's also a relatively strong individual as well.

I saw quite a bit of Lessard this past season and one of the reasons for his offensive success could be attributed to who he played with. Evan Schwabe was pretty much his go-to linemate all year. Not surprisingly, Lessard led UMD in goals scored while Schwabe led the team in assists. Now if Lessard is paired with someone like Modano, he should do well. Again, I'll say that much of how he performs (should he make the team) will be dependent upon who he is playing with, what kind of role he'll be put into in the Stars lineup and how quickly he adjusts. He can finish his plays, he demonstrated that at UMD. Granted, he'll be at a higher level in Dallas (or wherever he ends up as a pro), but being a finisher won't be something that the Stars will have to worry too much about.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Oilers Chick said:
I don't know what you're description of "quite small" is, but I don't view a player who is 6'0/195 as small. He may be a bit on the thin size, but he's not short. He's also a relatively strong individual as well.
I used HDB for my information, and if I remember correctly that had him listed at 5'11 and like 185. Good news if he's actually 6'0 and 195..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->