How good a prospect is Josh Bailey?

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
So I am an Islander fan, and have seen a bit of Josh Bailey... My opinion was at the beginning of the year (and still is), he should have played another year in juniors and in this past years junior championship... I have seen the Islanders rush too many 1st round picks that weren't ready for the NHL their first year (P. Nokelainen, T. Connelly, T. Pyatt)... with that said, I believe Bailey will be a very good player in a few years, he is a great distributor and sees the ice well... So I am trying to figure out exactly how good a prospect Bailey is, and seeing him in this years junior tournament couldf have answered some of those questions...
As the junior tournament was going on, I couldn't help but wonder how Bailey would have stacked up on that Canadian team, and would he have even made the team at all??? So here is my question:
My question to all my Canadian neighbors up north is, do you think Bailey was a lock to make the junior team, and if so, where did he fit in? Large role (1st, 2nd line)... smaller role (3rd, 4th line)????

thedude1966

Jan 28, 2009
Its a very interesting question, because I honestly dont see him being the offensive force that would have landed him a spot instead of JT or Hodgson. Furthermore, he doesnt bring the physical (shutdown) role of Cormier nor does he bring the energy of Sonne.

So by deduction, he would have had to play wing, and probably with the top 6. So he might have taken the spot of DiDomenico. Or it is also possible that Canada doesnt go with 8 defensemen and he is inserted into the roster.

Anyway this is all speculation. The Islanders took the safe choice last year in drafting Bailey. He is very dependable two-way player who has good offensive instincts.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I don't know much about him, but he's a decent prospect who should definitely have played another year in junior. There was no need to rush him to the NHL. It was a stupid decision to keep him for the whole season. They could have at least sent him back after his 10 first game.

As for Team Canada, I guess he would have made it. He wouldn't have been a lock, but with a decent camp, he was there. He would have been on the bottom two line tho...which is still good when you play for team Canada.

I still think the Islanders should have gone for quality over quantity. There was some great prospects available in the top 10, and they took Bailey. He's a NHL player, but he'll be far from the best in the top 10. I guess it's a different story tho...

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So I am an Islander fan, and have seen a bit of Josh Bailey... My opinion was at the beginning of the year (and still is), he should have played another year in juniors and in this past years junior championship... I have seen the Islanders rush too many 1st round picks that weren't ready for the NHL their first year (P. Nokelainen, T. Connelly, T. Pyatt)... with that said, I believe Bailey will be a very good player in a few years, he is a great distributor and sees the ice well... So I am trying to figure out exactly how good a prospect Bailey is, and seeing him in this years junior tournament couldf have answered some of those questions...
As the junior tournament was going on, I couldn't help but wonder how Bailey would have stacked up on that Canadian team, and would he have even made the team at all??? So here is my question:
My question to all my Canadian neighbors up north is, do you think Bailey was a lock to make the junior team, and if so, where did he fit in? Large role (1st, 2nd line)... smaller role (3rd, 4th line)????

I think he probably would have made the World Junior team, yes. He had phenomenal chemistry with Boychuk and Hodgson at last year's CHL Top Prospects Game, and while it's tough now to think of anyone but Jordan Eberle on that other wing, I think that could very easily have been Josh Bailey's spot with Jordan Eberle playing alongside JT on the top line.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think he's going to be a very good player.

Should be a perennial 65-70 point player. Very much in the Chris Drury mold. Just a bit better of a passer than Drury ever was (and I doubt he'll have the shot that Drury has).

I just see that in him every time I watch him.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

Should be a perennial 65-70 point player. Very much in the Chris Drury mold. Just a bit better of a passer than Drury ever was (and I doubt he'll have the shot that Drury has).

I don't see him as a Drury being an Islanders fan.

He's going to be more of a poor man's Doug Weight. Especially since he's his mentor this year.

Isles4ever11

Apr 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.twitter.com

Funny, I always say he's a Scott Gomez like passer with a Chris Drury type game.

Completely agree with your assessment. It will definitely take time for him to get there. He's not ready for the NHL, but he definitely has the head to handle it. He'll put it together.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
His soft hands and passing instincts remind me of Gomez, but for now at least he does not have anywhere near Gomez's ability to put it into an extra gear and slice through defenses. He has a hard, accurate and I believe underrated shot (simply b/c he does not use it enough). On the defensive side he is always one of the first forwards back, and when he comes back to defend he comes ALL the way back (good instinct there). He is still weak on the puck and slow in his decisions/acceleration, as a result he turns it over.

I'm hoping he turns into a solid, two-way 65-75 point center. And would have definitely preferred him to spend one more year in the CHL.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He would have been a lock to make team Canada. If Angelo Esposito can make it a top 6 forward, Bailey would have had no problem making it as a winger in the top 6. He probably should have been sent back to Windsor for another year, they would have been unbelievable and almost a lock to make it to the Memorial Cup. He'll be a good NHL'er for a long time to come, should be a first liner one day.

Leperus Leprechuan

Dec 24, 2007
Windsor
Bailey probally would of led the OHL in scoring if he stayed there. I think he was too good for the O but not quite ready for the NHL. It's scenarios like these that make the OHL-AHL eligibility rule look stupid.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
First, I absolutely agree he should have stayed in junior. The way I see it is that it can't hurt and hed be getting more time to develop and would have gone to the WJC and possibly the memorial cup. Maybe the isles didnt want him to develop lazy habits since he prob would have been pretty dominant in the O?

My projection is a 70point guys and I like Jonathan's Drury comparison because I see Bailey as very good defensively but not quite Selke material. I think in 6-7 years he has the potential to be one of the best 2nd line centers in the league.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He would have had a spot to lose on the team and I think he would have been given a long look playing with JT. The coaches had problems figuring out who to play JT with at even strength, and Bailey's vision and offensive instincts would have been amongst the best on the team. They could be a tremendous tandem in the years ahead.

And yeah, he probably should have stayed in junior, but I'm not convinced this will impact him negatively. He already has a beck of a lot more points than Joe Thornton got in his rookie year, and it didn't set him back too far. I actually don't buy too much of this "ruining a prospect" stuff. Worst case, it can be a set back in his confidence, which could have been avoided, but that typically doesn't stop any elite player from being elite.

isles20*

At his prime i see him as a 25-50-75 point guy, nothing really more and solid 2 way play

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Bailey and Hodgson are very similar talents. That should answer your question about how he would have done at the WJ's.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Bailey probally would of led the OHL in scoring if he stayed there. I think he was too good for the O but not quite ready for the NHL. It's scenarios like these that make the OHL-AHL eligibility rule look stupid.

Maybe if Tavares played the whole year in Oshawa, otherwise not a chance.

Either way, the OHL rule is put in place so that the OHL can actually continue to ensure that all of their talent isn't being poached early, well it's actually a CHL wide rule.

You have to remember these teams are worth millions of dollars and the league as a whole is a pretty big business, so losing all of your best players at 18/19 years old drastically cripples the product.

Last edited:

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I know Canucks fans can't get enough of their 08 1st Rounder, but I think Bailey is the better long term player than Hodgson.

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
Bailey has looked very good tonight and he set up a beautiful goal to Okposo.From all the isles games Ive seen or been to this season i can tell that he has aton of smarts with the puck and he has terrific vision on the ice. I do think though he needs to get alittle stronger. But with alittle hard work that can be fixed. Also he hasent seemed to good on faceoffs. I see him eventually being a great 2nd liner or a decent-good 1st liner. He will get aton of assists. Although I agree with the Drury comparisons, I think he will be more of a poor mans Dougie Weight.

isles20*

Bailey has looked very good tonight and he set up TWO beautiful goal to Okposo.From all the isles games Ive seen or been to this season i can tell that he has aton of smarts with the puck and he has terrific vision on the ice. I do think though he needs to get alittle stronger. But with alittle hard work that can be fixed. Also he hasent seemed to good on faceoffs. I see him eventually being a great 2nd liner or a decent-good 1st liner. He will get aton of assists. Although I agree with the Drury comparisons, I think he will be more of a poor mans Dougie Weight.

FIXED

Azzurri90FC

Jul 5, 2006
I believe Brad Richards is a fair comparison for Josh Bailey. Although, I also agree with the Drury comparisons, Bailey really reminds me of Richards.

Case in point, his two assists to Okposo tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad