Speculation: How far will the Avalanche go this season?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If we get into the playoffs anything can happen from there. We need to get in though. I think we still match up well against Chicago but St. Louis can beat the Avs around. Though I think Chicago has the upper hand on St. Louis. It's a violent circle.
What do you mean beat around? Like physically? I agree the Blues would beat the Avs, but I don't think they would physically intimidate the Avs. The Avs chased size and toughness this summer, while the Blues chased skill.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What do you mean beat around? Like physically? I agree the Blues would beat the Avs, but I don't think they would physically intimidate the Avs. The Avs chased size and toughness this summer, while the Blues chased skill.

I mean it both ways. Sure the Avs got bigger but the Blues absolutely manhandled them last year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah but we didn't get to play the blues in the playoffs, where they wilt. Would much rather play the blues than hawks regardless how well we match up against each in the regular season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I mean it both ways. Sure the Avs got bigger but the Blues absolutely manhandled them last year.

I don't think physically anymore. When the Blues absolutely embarrassed the Avs on the scoreboard and physically in that one game, they had Stewart, Sobotka, Polak, and Morrow who have all since left. In came a bunch of a talent. Meanwhile, the Avs let talent walk and brought in bigger guys.

The Avs 4-0 win is more indicative of what this coming season will be like I think. Not in terms of the score, but in terms of being able to match the Blues physically, and even take them off their game. It's pretty much just Jackman, Reaves, Ott, and Backes left for physical players that might intimidate the Avs. And Lapierre if you count him, which I don't. Not that the Avs are loaded with tough guys now, I'm just saying, these games will be more like the Colorado vs Chicago games than they will be like the Old Blues kicking the Avs ass.

cgf said:
Yeah but we didn't get to play the blues in the playoffs, where they wilt. Would much rather play the blues than hawks regardless how well we match up against each in the regular season.
Avs have been to the 2nd round twice in the last 10 years. Don't think we can say much.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think physically anymore. When the Blues absolutely embarrassed the Avs on the scoreboard and physically in that one game, they had Stewart, Sobotka, Polak, and Morrow who have all since left. In came a bunch of a talent. Meanwhile, the Avs let talent walk and brought in bigger guys.

The Avs 4-0 win is more indicative of what this coming season will be like I think. Not in terms of the score, but in terms of being able to match the Blues physically, and even take them off their game. It's pretty much just Jackman, Reaves, Ott, and Backes left for physical players that might intimidate the Avs. And Lapierre if you count him, which I don't. Not that the Avs are loaded with tough guys now, I'm just saying, these games will be more like the Colorado vs Chicago games than they will be like the Old Blues kicking the Avs ass.

Avs have been to the 2nd round twice in the last 10 years. Don't think we can say much.

You're probably right. I just feel like i'll never be able to get that game out of my head. It's the scariest i've ever seen another team look lol.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I have lofty expectations for this team. I won't consider anything outside of a playoff birth and at least a 2nd round appearance as an acceptable result. Tough division aside, this team is fully capable of that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have lofty expectations for this team. I won't consider anything outside of a playoff birth and at least a 2nd round appearance as an acceptable result. Tough division aside, this team is fully capable of that.

Well then you have unrealistic expectTions. I think we get in and win a series, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen cause we still have a number things to not go wrong for us to pull it off.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I certainly hope we make the playoffs, and believe we should.

But if we don't, I 'll be sacrificing goats so we win the lottery!

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Last year, one player changed our fortunes more than any other by taking his career to the next level, Semyon Varlamov. This year (while I'd like to say Duchene), I think that player will easily be Nathan MacKinnon. Calling 40+ goals and 90+ points for that guy right now.

Roy and Sakic know what they are doing. They were part of a dominant western conference force that featured superb goaltending and a 1-2 punch down the center that was more consistently a playoff boulder than most teams of that generation. No, our defense today isn't reminiscent of the Blake-Bourque-Foote days, but its not so far off from the Ozolinsh-Krupp-Gusarov days either - defense hasn't always been a position of strength for this club. Cautious negativity aside, let's appreciate what we more than likely have in the key cogs of this team, and get ready for these Avs (in some incarnation) to challenge seriously and regularly for the next while.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know I'm in the minority but I'm much more interested I seeing MacK become competent defensively than I am seeing his numbers take off. If he added 5 goals to last year's tally while no longer being a liability against the puck I'd be thrilled.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The voting on the poll shows we are equally divided! :amazed:

If we see a first round Game 7 OT then over 75% of us will say: "See, I thought so" with half that number predicting a loss and the other a victory.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I don't know, but I do know the Avs are better than Chicago. So sick of hearing about Chicago just because how they played in 2012. And Brad Richards sucks. It will be even more obvious when he is playing out west, where every top team has at least two legitimately great scoring lines. And they lost Leddy. So a supposed cup team will be rostering Cumiskey opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad