How excited are you about the upcoming season?

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I only made it to 1 game last year, least I’ve been to since I can remember. The game I went to was awful too. I still invest a crazy amount of time in the team (like we all do) but I just can’t bring myself to spend money on it right now

That’s when you know things are bad. When people can afford to go and are choosing to stay home because it sucks

Same here. Only went to 1 game last year, in October. Walked out knowing there was no f***ing way I was going to spend any more money on that clown show. Fewest games I've ever been to in a season, even when i was a broke ass college student eating ramen noodles I still found a way to go. Not a money issue these days.
Lost count of number of times I deleted the game from the DVR after watching first 10 minutes of the game.
Product is just shit. Much rather be spending money on things that aren't going to make me comatose.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Least excited I have ever been, honestly. This was the last time I had any hope of a change in direction. Still got Barstool Bob and Comatose Carlyle. Product on the ice sucks, so no sense in going to games. Until this team gets rid of those two boneheads we’re doomed for another “just barely” type of year.

Truly sickening.

Reactions: Tony O

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
5 Division titles in a row, then home ice advantage with derek grant 1C for 30 games.

"terrible product"

The only thing that makes me sick is this fanbase.

If you don’t think the on ice product last season was significantly worse than in previous years and that goaltending didn’t mask how bad our defensive system was then I don’t know what to say.

This team had a window that has slammed shut because of poor decision making from management the past few years, most notably bringing back a coach who hasn’t been relevant in the league since 2009.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
5 Division titles in a row, then home ice advantage with derek grant 1C for 30 games.

"terrible product"

Then there was no need to sign up for the forum and debate with this sick fanbase.

The product on the ice was not good. As Paul said, the only reason the team made the playoffs was due to Gibson. They play a boring style of hockey. I, like many others, went to the least amount of games I have ever gone to in a season. The games I went to, the Honda Center was empty and there was no energy in the arena. It is simply a boring on ice product that can't be successful in the modern NHL. If Gibson doesn't stand on his head again, the team is in big trouble playing RC's grinding, boring, bleeding shots, non attacking style.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If you don’t think the on ice product last season was significantly worse than in previous years and that goaltending didn’t mask how bad our defensive system was then I don’t know what to say.

This team had a window that has slammed shut because of poor decision making from management the past few years, most notably bringing back a coach who hasn’t been relevant in the league since 2009.

Goaltending is part of the game. Managment did a lot of things, it was close but did not work out so far.

2014-15: Blockbuster trade around Kesler; 12 trades overall, players involved Wisniewski, Despres, Fleischmann, Thompson
2015-16: Trades around Hagelin, Perron, McGinn, Bieksa, Palmeri
2016-17: Trades around Anderson, Bernier, Eaves - 7 trades overall
2017-18: Big trade with Henrique and Vatanen involved, 4 trades overall

Overall the Ducks did a lot to change the roster. Randy may be a big mistake but they also did a lot to give Bruce a potent roster.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Ehh, guys got a point. The product was much better when everyone was healthy yet pretty much no one ever wants to admit that. The team needs to improve(very much disagree with the window being slammed shut but that's only partly because of what I think about the team) but when it's much more acceptable to say this is a bottom 10 team than a top 10 team, despite the evidence to the contrary, he may be onto something.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

"terrible product"

5 Division titles from the worst division in the league. Squandered home I’ve advantage each year. Fantastic...

The product was bad on the ice, it will be bad even with a healthy roster (which is doubtful we’ll have) with RC as the coach.

And if you hate this fanbase, why be a part of it?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
5 Division titles from the worst division in the league. Squandered home I’ve advantage each year. Fantastic...

The product was bad on the ice, it will be bad even with a healthy roster (which is doubtful we’ll have) with RC as the coach.

And if you hate this fanbase, why be a part of it?
The Pacific wasn’t the worst division the first couple years of those 5 straight. Far from it honestly. The Kings and the Sharks were very good and so were we

The team is going to be brutal now IMO but why revise history? They were pretty good for a while. Bummer they couldn’t get it done one year

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Product may have improved from wild chaos to boring uninspired play after the injuries subsided, but that did not raise the product above the terrible threshold. That was one of the worst seasons I've seen from this team.

Also, perfectly fitting that the person who made a garbage post that totally reveals he or she didn't bother watching is named "analytics." Chef's kiss.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The Pacific wasn’t the worst division the first couple years of those 5 straight. Far from it honestly. The Kings and the Sharks were very good and so were we

The team is going to be brutal now IMO but why revise history? They were pretty good for a while. Bummer they couldn’t get it done one year
Outside the Cali teams, the pacific hasn’t exactly been a powerhouse division. Oilers were oilers, coyotes had the one good season, and canucks were good but not world beaters. Just seem silly to put so much emphasis on the division titles to me. We have been the best Cali team in those years, yet the other two both made the SCF and won twice...

It sucks that we were never able to go further when we were given easier matchups in the playoffs than other teams.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Outside the Cali teams, the pacific hasn’t exactly been a powerhouse division. Oilers were oilers, coyotes had the one good season, and canucks were good but not world beaters. Just seem silly to put so much emphasis on the division titles to me. We have been the best Cali team in those years, yet the other two both made the SCF and won twice...

It sucks that we were never able to go further when we were given easier matchups in the playoffs than other teams.
2012 isn't the last 5 years, so the other Cali teams only won once. We made it to 2 WCF's..couldn't close the deal.

I'm not putting so much emphasis on the division, but saying that it was the worst division all those years is comically false. It was the worst maybe twice, and even that's debatable.

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
I am more pessimistic about this season than I was last season; and that was with the injuries to Kesler, Vatanen and Lindholm. Is the roster today, better than it was this time last year?

Trade possibilities are limited with high cap hits on players that will be difficult to move, so our success is depending on everybody on the roster today. The Calvary isn't coming.

The way I look at it, is our chance to make the playoffs and do some damage. I think Calgary has improved to the point where they make the playoffs this year. San Jose, status quo - barring an injury to Pavelski or Couture, they're in. Vegas, I suspect they'll regress but remain in the playoffs. The leaves LA, Edmonton, Vancouver, Phoenix and us battling for the last playoff spot. IMHO, our roster didn't improve enough to supplant LA or EDM. With Kesler potentially missing the season, and Perry's downward trajectory it'll be up to Getz, Rakell, Henrique and maybe Silf. I think they'll give it everything they have, but ultimately come up short. The Power Play MUST improve.

Our defensive core is sound, but I still think there will be some growing pains. Perhaps the new assistant coach from SD can work some magic? With potentially fewer goals being scored, the margin of error for the Defense becomes even more slim.

The All-American tandem needs a repeat of last season, minus injuries from Gibby.

The one aspect that will keep my attention is the potential addition of youth (Steel/Jones/Terry). It has been too long since a homegrown A-list offensive prospect has hit their ceiling (a la Rakell, Beleskey, Ryan).

I think this season will be a rough ome, which why my expectations are to miss the playoffs. It may require one step back, to take three steps forward. I don't think RC is the primary problem, but he isn't the long term solution. Can GMBM recognize that a second time?

/ramble

clownshoes

Mar 5, 2008
Windowless room
i'm excited to see ducks hockey again. i'm excited to see how the prospects do. however, i'm not optimistic they'll win a cup or come close. i think they can make the playoffs but will be an early exit again. basically it will probably be last season 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->