How excited are you about the upcoming season?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Yes, their forwards are better. Now do defense and goaltending.

Carlson > Lindholm (at least for now)
Niskanen = Fowler (or at least fairly close)
Kempny < Manson (but not by a massive amount)
Orlov >/= Montour
Orpik > Bieksa
Djoos =/< Pettersson

Overall their D is fairly close to ours but Carlson was among the best in the league this season and played huge in the playoffs. I'd give them the edge on D.

As for Goaltending, I think thats pretty close too. Holtby had some issues down the stretch but he played stellar in the playoffs. Grubaeur was at least as good as Miller if not better when called upon.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Gibson's last two playoff appearances both had a higher save percentage than Holtby did in this year's Cup run.

For a team that apparently outclasses us on defense and goaltending too, they sure did give up a lot more goals last season.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Gibson's last two playoff appearances both had a higher save percentage than Holtby did in this year's Cup run.

For a team that apparently outclasses us on defense and goaltending too, they sure did give up a lot more goals last season.

What difference does the regular season make? This team won 5 straight division titles and never got to the SCF. What matters is that come playoff time this year the Caps absolutely shut things down defensively once they got a lead and Holtby made all the big saves they needed him to.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In before you're a Vegas fan now but not excited for the Ducks at all. Last season I watched both the Knights and Ducks almost the entire season. Watching the Ducks as it was felt like a chore last season. It doesn't seem like things have gotten any better and Randy is still coach.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
What difference does the regular season make? This team won 5 straight division titles and never got to the SCF. What matters is that come playoff time this year the Caps absolutely shut things down defensively once they got a lead and Holtby made all the big saves they needed him to.

And the Washington Capitals had made the post-season 9 times out of 10 before this year without even making it to the *conference* finals.

Everything you are saying about this team now, their fans said about them before this season. It's easy to say "It's not comparable, they just had an amazing posteason." That's the point. You don't know which good team is going to have an amazing postseason until you get there, and having a recent string of bad postseasons does not mean you can't do it.

I'm not mortgaging my house for Finals tickets just yet, but this team is perfectly capable of being that team a year from now.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Two appearances as in his last two games? What’s that got to do with anything?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I’m really surprised people are using the division title thing as a badge of honor. Our division has been god awful for years outside of the Cali teams. Congrats, we were the best regular season team from California while the other two both made it to the SCF.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania

Different divisions and conferences with different opponents. Also Holtby did have a really rough stretch of the season and basically lost his starter job to Grubs at one point because he was giving up so many bad goals every game. No one is gonna argue that one, but it did raise their team goals against in kind of an artificially inflated way.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Different divisions and conferences with different opponents. Also Holtby did have a really rough stretch of the season and basically lost his starter job to Grubs at one point because he was giving up so many bad goals every game. No one is gonna argue that one, but it did raise their team goals against in kind of an artificially inflated way.

I'll grant the takeback, but I'm taking one for the absurd run of injuries we had.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
It's early July. Hockey is a long way off. That being said, I'm here checking the boards to see what stupid trades me are making.

I'm not thrilled about our team for the upcoming season, (and will try and keep my expectations low), but I'm sure I'll be excited when October rolls around.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Tough to be too excited for me...
Seems like a Groundhog Day offseason, with Murray talking about the
Changes we will make, and the season opens with basically the same cast and crew that ultimately couldn’t get it done last year

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How good/bad the team is has nothing to do with how excited I am. In fact I love getting behind an underdog, and so I was actually entertained when the Ducks suffered all those injuries early in the season and had to rely on a bunch of tweeners and minor league call ups. My problem is the uninspired hockey being played on so many nights. I don't care about the names on the back. I'm more entertained watching a hard fought game between Arizona and Detroit, than I am watching a snoozefest between Pittsburgh and Washington. I rather watch Logan Shaw trying than Corey Perry floating.
This. They’re boring. I pay good money to sit there and be bored, and the boredom level has increased as the RC retread has gone year to year. The skill of the parts is irrelevant when the guy putting the parts together and guy coaching the parts are like Homer Simpson with a grill.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
This. They’re boring. I pay good money to sit there and be bored, and the boredom level has increased as the RC retread has gone year to year. The skill of the parts is irrelevant when the guy putting the parts together and guy coaching the parts are like Homer Simpson with a grill.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that they played maybe 3 entertaining games all year.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Am I excited for another season of Gibson having to stand on his head to win games where the team allows 40-50 shots on goal while looking incredibly lost on the ice?

Hardly. They're so damn boring to watch now.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I don't think anything will change... I will watch games on replay as often as I can, which is maybe about 5-6 games a month.Not expecting too much but prepared to be positively surprised :nod:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Why did you renew your season seats? Not trying to be a dick, I’m honestly curious. IMO it’s not worth it to have a guaranteed financial investment at this point

I only made it to 1 game last year, least I’ve been to since I can remember. The game I went to was awful too. I still invest a crazy amount of time in the team (like we all do) but I just can’t bring myself to spend money on it right now

That’s when you know things are bad. When people can afford to go and are choosing to stay home because it sucks

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why did you renew your season seats? Not trying to be a dick, I’m honestly curious. IMO it’s not worth it to have a guaranteed financial investment at this point

I only made it to 1 game last year, least I’ve been to since I can remember. The game I went to was awful too. I still invest a crazy amount of time in the team (like we all do) but I just can’t bring myself to spend money on it right now

That’s when you know things are bad. When people can afford to go and are choosing to stay home because it sucks
Because they lock you into it in March to get your playoff tickets guaranteed and at a discount rate, and I was convinced that RC would be gone if the team flamed out in the playoffs. Whoops.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not at all

it's going to be a long season. the only good that'll come out of it is RC's firing

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Starting to get excited about the Ducks again, as there are a few interesting potential storylines (most of which have been motioned already). That said, I don't have much excitement about our success next year, especially under Randy.

I want to change my earlier reply to the title question from the above to

Reactions: Getzmonster

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Every signing this offseason has brought me down 1... so my count is now a 3.

Bm is going to take away only thing i was excited about, the young players

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The biggest problem with all of this marginal 4th line-7/8 D signings is it has to have some negative impact on our young players. You have to figure there is some motivation to excel in the minors just to get traded out of this organization.

John

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The biggest problem with all of this marginal 4th line-7/8 D signings is it has to have some negative impact on our young players. You have to figure there is some motivation to excel in the minors just to get traded out of this organization.

John
This argument just doesn't hold water, especially on D. All of our main guys are home grown, and we just traded away an established guy (Vatanen) to make room for a young player (Montour) to have a full time gig. Signing a couple 6-7s doesn't change that. Of all the things this organization can be criticized for, developing its defensemen is NOT one of them.

Reactions: anezthes

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This argument just doesn't hold water, especially on D. All of our main guys are home grown, and we just traded away an established guy (Vatanen) to make room for a young player (Montour) to have a full time gig. Signing a couple 6-7s doesn't change that. Of all the things this organization can be criticized for, developing its defensemen is NOT one of them.

True for our current top 4 defensemen. I think we traded Vatanen for salary issues and to bolster the offensive side. Whether Henrique was the right fit is hard to say. He definitely produced and was streaky.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->