How exactly do you get Goodenow fired ?? or Better WHY??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How exactly do you get Goodenow fired ??

The players have to vote on anything their leader and committee accepts and get a majority vote of the 700+ players to agree...

The players themselves never wanted linkage , nor a Salary Cap and were not even happy with the 24% rollback ..

So I can see them firing him for the way he handled it and the CAP Fiasco and the rollback

BUT ....
This deal got Linkage off the table, and Hard Cap but high ceiling attempt in, and a 24% rollback ..

If they fired Goodenow ...

What chance for a deal does the next guy have ??

I really can't see his options.. If they Hire Bill Gates, or Mel Gibson or Gordie Howe

How do they get a better deal then Goodenow turned down ?

If the NHL comes back now with Lower Cap, Linkage to Revenue Manditory and as contracts expire the 24% rollback chip becomes less and less a bargaining chip either way ..

Logic would suggest that the new guy needs to make a better deal or what is the use of firing him other than spite perhaps ?

Last edited:

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
The fact that he wasted 5 months to accept what they vowed to never accept should prolly get him canned. I know I'd vote him out for that alone, as a player. Waste MY season, will ya :mad:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GoM said:
The fact that he wasted 5 months to accept what they vowed to never accept should prolly get him canned. I know I'd vote him out for that alone, as a player. Waste MY season, will ya :mad:
Fine .... He's gone

Now what about his replacement and the deal he gets or needs to negotiate ??

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
GoM said:
Playing devil's advocate here.

Perhaps Goodenow only moved off the no-cap stance at the last minute due to some measure of panic and common sense. He realized that when the League took linkage off the table, that that was a huge concession and that a cap without linkage was likely the best system the PA could negotiate off of quickly. Perhaps judging the League to be at a momentary point of weakness, he might have wanted to see how far the League would be willing to negotiate the number given the initial shock of seeing the PA accept the cap. That, and impasse and other legal ramifications probably played into it.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
The Messenger said:
Fine .... He's gone

Now what about his replacement and the deal he gets or needs to negotiate ??

Well, find a guy who won't wait out that long to cave anyway, won't mislead us by saying the owners will cave, when the players have more to lose, won't not arrange meetings (though Bettman's obviously at fault too), basically someone who'll actually negotiate, not sit there and whine (ditto with the NHL).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GoM said:
Well, find a guy who won't wait out that long to cave anyway, won't mislead us by saying the owners will cave, when the players have more to lose, won't not arrange meetings (though Bettman's obviously at fault too), basically someone who'll actually negotiate, not sit there and whine (ditto with the NHL).
I must have asked the Question poorly :D

What will the final Deal look like ?? That the NHLPA under new leadership will agree to ??

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
His replacement should just accept whatever the owners offer so we can move on. I mean jeez, we aren't talking about human rights violations here, even if they're getting shafted to high noon.

But really, they should just push for serious revenue sharing. Try to edge the cap number up, and get a floor. That's it. You have to concede big time at this point. Stop trying to win the war and focus on the battles.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
The Messenger said:
I must have asked the Question poorly :D

What will the final Deal look like ?? That the NHLPA under new leadership will agree to ??

bah

hopeless :p

Final deal looks basically what the NHL has proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->