How entertaining are the playoffs so far?

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I give it a 6/10 so far. A big element for me is close games with high sense of drama. We haven't seen a lot of that yet.

That's not to say it's bad playoff hockey. It's always better than the regular season, but compared to what I'm accustomed to in past playoffs, I'm left feeling a bit underwhelmed so far.

I'll take this kind of hockey over boring close games were teams just play cautious hockey and hope not to make a mistake.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Columbus and Washington has seemed fast paced..I'm watching the vegas/kings series cause i'm cheering for the knights but it's mostly dump and chase hockey..not the most exciting

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Oh as a Toronto fan it has kind of sucked but otherwise mostly good. PHI/PIT have been decided fairly quick though too so not as much drama there.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
How are blowout games exciting?
Raise of hands that if you think exciting hockey is a tie or 1 goal game halfway through the 3rd period of a playoff game? Or is a 6 to 2 game to start the 3rd more exciting?

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Total trash quality, NBA was much better this weekend and it’s suppose to be the league where the first round doesn’t matter. Boring one sided games for the most part, horrible calls.

Reactions: fsanford

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
How are blowout games exciting?
Raise of hands that if you think exciting hockey is a tie or 1 goal game halfway through the 3rd period of a playoff game? Or is a 6 to 2 game to start the 3rd more exciting?
If the whole series is like that I agree, but I think Minnesota and Winnipeg trading blowouts just adds to the drama of the series.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If the whole series is like that I agree, but I think Minnesota and Winnipeg trading blowouts just adds to the drama of the series.

Perhaps, but I just seem to remember in more recent years, much more exciting action during games and 1 goal decisions.

In the west 3 of them could end in 5 if not 4 games. Wild/Jets might make to 6.
In the East, could be same thing.

Last few years have had some exciting long series first round, this year guess will see what happens but its not looking good at the moment.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Even though I like who's winning in most SERIES, a lot of the match-up's are lackluster.

Lets look why:

Philly-Pens looked good but every game has been 5-1.

Colorado is giving the Preds a good fight but they don't have the depth or goaltending to match Nashville.

Tampa-New Jersey has made me bored to tears. Maybe i Just don't care enough about either team. But it shouldn
t be boring. Both teams are fast, can score etc.

Ducks-Sharks has been EXTREMELY under=whelming but I think that can change once it goes to San Jose. The Ducks have not really shown up.

Boston-Toronto has been one sided. I imagine Leaf Fans are about as dissapointed as they come but things can change for them ast home like they did for Minnesota.

Speaking of the WIld-Jets, that series feels like Pens-Flyers, just one sided each way.

JAckets-Caps has been okay but kind of frustrating, I keep wanting to see Ovi go far but they've blown a 3-1 lead twice at home only to lose in OT.

Vegas-Kings has been the best series due to the speed, physical play, HOW CLOSE the score has been and the goaltending.

It's creating an awesome rivalry but one or two GOOD series out of 8, in the first round isn't good enough.

This kind of reminds me of 2016 when we had MEH match-ups like Dallas-Minnesota, TB-DET, NAS-ANA, even LA-SJ only went 5, and Pitts-NYR that had potential only went 5.

SO it just seems like the best potential match-ups have been blowouts which doesen't help things.

All this being said, the 2nd ROUND looks like it has MAJOR potential to be great.

Bost0n-Tampa, Nashville-Winnnipeg? The top two teams int he west and the top two in the east going at it? would be crazy.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
With 2013-2014's first round still the measuring stick, these playoffs don't come close to that (so far) but overall it hasn't been too bad. Would like to see less porous defense.

Sportsnet's perpetual suckage doesn't help.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Most games haven’t even been close which has quite honestly bored me. When teams are winning via blow outs it’s hard to keep watching. Where’s all the ot games. Brutal first round.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Worst first round I can remember. You've got bi-polar series with each team dominating different games (PIT-PHI, WPG-MIN), and then all the rest which have had closer games but are now 2-0 or 3-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->