How entertaining are the playoffs so far?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
For me is top notch. The mix beetween physicality, speed and skills is fantastic to see. Every second is funny to watch. Every game.

There is nothing better than NHL playoffs hockey, not any sport in the world is as entertaining as the NHL playoffs. I truly feel sorry for all those people who never have or will watch the NHL playoffs.

Its such a big difference from the regular season...its like a total different sport we are watching.

I am watching KHL playoffs and SHL playoffs too, its also physical, speedy and skilled but NHL playoffs is a level above that.

I would go as far and say that NHL playoffs is top 5 most enjoyably thing in life.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You always forget how big the jump is in terms of speed and intensity.

Guys who never hit, laying guys out. Guys who never score, suddenly scoring. Guys who never fight, dropping the gloves.

I've been watching playoff hockey for decades and yet I'm always a little surprised.

That first round in particular is a treat with hockey every night.

Bring it on!

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Some series are looking like duds and some are great.

Lets hope for some game 7s.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You always forget how big the jump is in terms of speed and intensity.

Guys who never hit, laying guys out. Guys who never score, suddenly scoring. Guys who never fight, dropping the gloves.

I've been watching playoff hockey for decades and yet I'm always a little surprised.

That first round in particular is a treat with hockey every night.

Bring it on!

Yes, this sums it up very well. After I watched Logan Couture destroy Hampus Lindholm with a clean open ice hit in game 1, I realized that you know it's the playoffs when Logan Couture starts destroying people, lol.

Vegas-LA is super fun hockey

I have the most personal investment in this series besides the Sharks series and I honestly think this series has been a major dud. Very boring hockey.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I give it a 6/10 so far. A big element for me is close games with high sense of drama. We haven't seen a lot of that yet.

That's not to say it's bad playoff hockey. It's always better than the regular season, but compared to what I'm accustomed to in past playoffs, I'm left feeling a bit underwhelmed so far.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m a Jets fan so for me these playoffs are the greatest thing in the history of the universe. So far.

Yeah, first it gets exciting.

Then it gets nerve-wracking.

Then it becomes a campaign of attrition.

That brief relief at the end of Round 1, but now, Round 2! What? Another game tonight? Back to the bar? Back to the stands.

An overtime. Exhausted at work. Fingernails shredded. Fighting with strangers on the internet. How many beers have I had in the past few weeks? What day is it?

Round 2 over! What, Round 3 next? Oh boy.

Hands shaking and pale from the nerves. Your team gets blown out. How much f***ing money have I wasted on this team so far? Back to the bar. Another overtime game. Work is a haze. Another game, a win, the team is back into it. Am I an alcoholic at this point? Which fans am I fighting with now? Suspendable offence? Are you kidding? It was a love tap.

And so it goes, until Game 7 of Round 3.

And it goes into overtime, well, isn't that great for the old blood pressure.

When that goal goes in, and your team goes out, that first emotion, believe it or not, was a flicker of deep relief. It's over. Your life can start again. Not a life of checking the game times, trying to fit in your social life in between games, realizing that you won't get anything done on the day of the game. Maybe stop drinking beers for awhile.

It's a flash, replaced by sadness and regret. Because it'll probably be awhile until you're in that position again. You tell yourself, we'll be back next season, but the NHL doesn't necessarily work that way. You'll have great memories of those wins, of unlikely heroes, and it'll file itself away somewhere. You may or may not have a respect for your worthy opponent.

Only the fans of one team get to go through the ordeal of an entire playoff with enough payoff in the end to justify the grey hairs, the money, and the sleep that you've given up over that period. And maybe you'll just take it a bit easier next time around. You know, for the health.

But when the playoffs roll around that following season, boy, let's do it again!

(although I'm kind of enjoying my vacation away from fandom stress - hopefully it's not a long one)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Pretty lackluster. Only good series is Vegas-LA.

Pens Flyers could be good however I feel like game 2 was a fluke and Pens will go back to routing them which will make for boring hockey

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yup. The playoffs in generally have been great, but the Vegas/LA series has been boring.

I'm still watching it because I think the storylines and the drama have been great, but the hockey in general has generally underwhelmed in that series.

It was a night and day difference watching that series compared to the Avalanche-Predators game, for example.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
For me is top notch. The mix beetween physicality, speed and skills is fantastic to see. Every second is funny to watch. Every game.

There is nothing better than NHL playoffs hockey, not any sport in the world is as entertaining as the NHL playoffs. I truly feel sorry for all those people who never have or will watch the NHL playoffs.

Its such a big difference from the regular season...its like a total different sport we are watching.

I am watching KHL playoffs and SHL playoffs too, its also physical, speedy and skilled but NHL playoffs is a level above that.

I would go as far and say that NHL playoffs is top 5 most enjoyably thing in life.
It depends on which series you are watching.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
As a bruins fan, I would say these playoffs have been entertaining to very enternaining so far.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Not much series yet outside of Pens/Flyers. Six out of Seven of them are already 2-0 with Caps/Jackets yet to play their second game. Might change as the underdogs get their home games, but 7 sweeps are still on the table.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m guessing Charles Barkley won’t be leaving the studio during games to go watch hockey this playoffs. At least so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->