How dumb was the Marleau contract by Toronto?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Leafs signed Patrick Marleau to a 3 year deal, at $6.25M per season. He didn’t even make it through the contract, getting traded and bought out by Carolina in 2019.

It cost the Leafs their first round draft pick in 2020 to sweeten the pot for Carolina to take him, which turned out to be Seth Jarvis.

Jarvis is a 22 year old who’s about to put up 30 goals and 60 points.. which is something Marleau was never able to do with Toronto. All while he’s on his ELC.

Toronto needs a Seth Jarvis right now.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
It's one of those signings that set the franchise back. There was no positive that came from it, and Seth Jarvis was the cost.

The toronto maple leafs do things like that.. often.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Just as dumb as the Flyers signing Lecavalier to that contract when 90% of the league knew he was cooked

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It was obviously a terrible contract the moment it was signed and imo his "mentorship" rubbed off in all the wrong ways on the young star players.

I'll never understand why Toronto keeps on bringing in guys who have never won a thing to mentor the players they hope will.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Oilers did a somewhat similar thing when they signed Duncan Keith in 2021. But at least they got a fairly successful playoff run out of it, and then Keith did everyone a solid by retiring, rather than forcing them to pay him big money for reduced minutes (or buying him out).

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It was obviously a terrible contract the moment it was signed and imo his "mentorship" rubbed off in all the wrong ways on the young star players.

I'll never understand why Toronto keeps on bringing in guys who have never won a thing to mentor the players they hope will.

Obviously he would've needed to have wanted to sign here, but Justin Williams was a free agent at the same time as Marleau and signed for cheaper and fewer years in Carolina. I would've gladly paid him Marleau's AAV for two seasons instead.

I think Babcock had undue influence on the Marleau signing, having been a team Canada guy who Mike knew and had coached previously. I'm also of the opinion that Marleau and his bag chasing ways throughout his career poisoned the well with regards to Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: authentic

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In Toronto's defense, they couldn't have anticipated a pandemic affecting how the 2020 concluded. They were probably anticipating that pick being in the 20s. When the season ended abruptly the pick would have been in the #18-20 range.

If I recall correctly, another team (Columbus?) was willing to do the deal but their owner balked at paying the 3.83 million buyout for a likely late 1st round pick.

Unfortunately for the Leafs, they lost the play in round and the pick ended up being higher than expected. They were able to get the #15 pick later that summer for Kasperi Kapanen (RIP Rodion Amirov). It's possible they wouldn't have taken Jarvis at #13. Predraft rankings:

Jarvis: [TSN: 18 | SN: 19 | HP: 7 | ISS: 29 | CB: 23 | THN: 16 | CP: 12 | SW: 14]
Holloway: [TSN: 16 | SN: 15 | HP: 29 | ISS: 20 | CB: 14 | THN: 13 | CP: 22 | SW: 18]
Amirov: [TSN: 19 | SN: 17 | HP: 23 | ISS: 16 | CB: 19 | THN: 30 | CP: 16 | SW: 20]

Everybody gives Edmonton flack for giving up the pick that became Matt Barzal but they weren't going to take Barzal (they would have taken Joel Eriksson-Ek). Meanwhile the Kings gave up a slightly higher pick and nobody gives them grief because Boston used it on Jakub Zboril. But the Kings would have taken Barzal according to former AGM Mike Futa.

And that just comes with the territory with a new GM. Lou signed Marleau to the deal in 2017. Dubas was elevated to GM a year later. Not the best comparison, but I bought a house where the previous owner had painted the master bedroom Pepto Bismol pink. I had to spend money to undo what they did.

Edit: Had my memory jogged that Lou had to clean up his own mess and gave up a 2007 1st rounder to dump Vladimir Malakhov's contract. That pick changed hands again and eventually netted David Perron. Devils likely would have taken somebody else had they kept the pick. It wasn't ideal but that was the price of undoing a mistake.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
why is this on the history board lol

2017 is history, no?

I think at the time the Leafs needed some veteran leadership. This was a time when the Leafs had that "aw shucks" look to them after losing to Washington in the opening round with a record 5 overtime games (1951 Leafs/Habs had 5 overtime games as did Phoenix/Chicago in 2012 but has anyone else?)

The signing didn't have the feel of a hometown boy coming home to try to win a Cup. Like Thornton for example. Or someone like Corson or Roberts. Partly because Marleau is not from Ontario too. I do agree that Babcock likely had a hand in this as Marleau was a Team Canada Olympian in 2010 and 2014.

Reactions: seventieslord

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This doesn't seem like a HoH thread. Also, the ex post facto inclusion of who the draft pick became is always silly to me.

This. It’s like saying the Leafs traded Scott Niedermayer for Tom Kurvers.

No. They traded the pick for Kurvers. And if the Sharks picked Scott, then nobody would say the Leafs traded Kurvers for Pat Falloon.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This doesn't seem like a HoH thread. Also, the ex post facto inclusion of who the draft pick became is always silly to me.
Yes and no. I think you should include the position of the pick, yeah if a team hits on a 7th traded to them, it's hardly an indictment of a GM, but the picks traded that became Louongo, Neidermeyer, and Segin are absolutely big losses.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, position makes sense. But unless you're in a spot where it's basically a guarantee that that player is going there (i.e. Celebrini at 1 this year), it's silly to include the player.

Someone traded Buffalo a 5th round pick for Rhett Warrener at the deadline, that 5th became Ryan Miller...that doesn't make that a bad deal five years later.

Similarly, the Penguins acquired an 8th overall pick in the Jordan Staal trade. That pick became Derrick Pouliot. That doesn't mean the Penguins didn't get good value...they just can't scout.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs signed Patrick Marleau to a 3 year deal, at $6.25M per season. He didn’t even make it through the contract, getting traded and bought out by Carolina in 2019.

It cost the Leafs their first round draft pick in 2020 to sweeten the pot for Carolina to take him, which turned out to be Seth Jarvis.

Jarvis is a 22 year old who’s about to put up 30 goals and 60 points.. which is something Marleau was never able to do with Toronto. All while he’s on his ELC.

Toronto needs a Seth Jarvis right now.
Even Lou makes bad signings one in a blue moon. Jarvis is like Tim Stützle only for 8M lessing cap.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Seth Jarvis while a good player isn't someone that would've put Toronto over the top, if they even would have picked him which is highly unlikely.

But yes, Babcock loved Marleau and Tavares because they're both bootlickers with generic photo albums.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024

Toronto deserved less.

Marleau has the most games played in NHL history without winning anything. While playing like he didn't care for the majority of it.

Tavares because they're both bootlickers with generic photo albums.

That's not fair to Tavares. He has fallen off but it's rare for a center of his caliber to reach free agency. It's even more rare for a big name player like that to return to his Canadian hometown. Tavares isn't worth what he is being paid but he was a legit signing and a legitimate star player in the league.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Seth Jarvis while a good player isn't someone that would've put Toronto over the top, if they even would have picked him which is highly unlikely.

But yes, Babcock loved Marleau and Tavares because they're both bootlickers with generic photo albums.

On his own Jarvis wouldnt do much for the Leafs BUT it would give Leafs cheap depth and the Domi signing wouldnt happen. They would have a player that can play all forward positions, anywhere in the lineup for less than a third of Domis cap hit. That's priceless in the cap era.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Marleau has the most games played in NHL history without winning anything. While playing like he didn't care for the majority of it.

That's not fair to Tavares. He has fallen off but it's rare for a center of his caliber to reach free agency. It's even more rare for a big name player like that to return to his Canadian hometown. Tavares isn't worth what he is being paid but he was a legit signing and a legitimate star player in the league.

Tavares signing with Toronto was a colossally misguided waste of money. Toronto didn't need forward help, they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri. What they needed (and still need) is top pair defensemen and a goalie. That $11m a year to Tavares could've gone a long way to filling that hole (such as signing Pietrangelo).

They also hurt themselves 2 ways with that signing, that move raised the internal pay structure and cost them a couple million a year each on Matthews and Marner next 2 contracts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tavares signing with Toronto was a colossally misguided waste of money. Toronto didn't need forward help, they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri. What they needed (and still need) is top pair defensemen and a goalie. That $11m a year to Tavares could've gone a long way to filling that hole (such as signing Pietrangelo).

They also hurt themselves 2 ways with that signing, that move raised the internal pay structure and cost them a couple million a year each on Matthews and Marner next 2 contracts.
What's worse is that as long as JT is sucking up $11M, it's practically impossible for the team to contend, yet, I seem to be the only Leafs fan in the world who thinks the team should be doing whatever they can to get out from under it. Everyone else either thinks,

- Oh, that would be so "classless" to make our captain, a Toronto boy, our prized UFA signing and the guy who got us to the 2nd round, waive his NMC. What free agent would ever want to come to Toronto ever again, for as long as the next two generations of Tavareses are alive???

- Forget it. Not gonna happen. Ever. No player with a NMC has ever been moved. Ever. We're stuck with him. Think of other ways to improve the team, because this ain't it. We're not gonna contend this year or next because of him, you say? Well, we'll see. Maybe you're right. And if you are, at least it's just those two years and we can go back to being a contender in AM & MM's age 28 seasons. I don't care that we're wasting their age 26 & 27 seasons. It is what it is.

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad