TBN: How Don Granato's career path might fit what the Sabres need in a coach

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It's a very short sample size but I do agree that Granato seems to be good for the young players. Let's be honest though, they were still a terrible hockey team after he took over. Competition was likely part of that. Very tough schedule.

There are a lot of coaches out there. They have to at least explore those options.
I would also add we had ECHL goaltending.Not to take anything away from them but cmon.Forget Eichel we had literally no goalie that's a hell of difference. We actually had a winning record with Ullmark.Small sample I know but Mitts,Asplund Tage Cozens,Bryson,Samuelson, Borgen,Ruotsailenen and Murray were good.Dahlin and Joker were very good.Also Reinhart finally got to play centre.As someone alluded to I never shook my head at the lineup like in the past.I would feel very comfortable with Granato but also I want the top coaches available interviewed and go from there.We definitely need to keep Reinhart at centre however

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I got suckered. There was a stretch of games without Crosby where the Pens still were great. Everyone I talked to or heard talk about Bylsma felt he was a terrible coach.

He was also probably the worst possible coach for a team lacking veteran leadership because he really didn't interact with players.

This^^^ His work with that Pens team sans Crosby and Malkin was incredible, they had no business winning games.

And during interviews Bylsma repeatedly said that he had used his time off to study film and analyze how the game had evolved. He talked about how he used this time off to improve his own coaching approach, and he was young enough that I actually believed it. Then when the games started it turned out to be bullshit, he was the exact same moron that Pens fans said he was.

Reactions: beerme1

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This^^^ His work with that Pens team sans Crosby and Malkin was incredible, they had no business winning games.

And during interviews Bylsma repeatedly said that he had used his time off to study film and analyze how the game had evolved. He talked about how he used this time off to improve his own coaching approach, and he was young enough that I actually believed it. Then when the games started it turned out to be bullshit, he was the exact same moron that Pens fans said he was.
I remember that. Also his lack of player interaction couldn't have been good for a young team.

Reactions: Fezzy126

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
This was the opportunity Tage Thompson wanted. A 23-year-old former player under Granato at NTDP, Thompson was a healthy scratch 18 times after starting this season on the Sabres’ top line. Ralph Krueger was not willing to watch Thompson make mistakes.
Granato was, and placed Thompson on a top-six line. Accountability was still important, though. When Thompson took a bad third-period penalty that led to a Sabres loss April 27, he was dropped to the fourth line and had his ice time cut to only 7:42 the following game.

Give him a lifetime contract just based on this IMO.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I would also add we had ECHL goaltending.Not to take anything away from them but cmon.Forget Eichel we had literally no goalie that's a hell of difference. We actually had a winning record with Ullmark.Small sample I know but Mitts,Asplund Tage Cozens,Bryson,Samuelson, Borgen,Ruotsailenen and Murray were good.Dahlin and Joker were very good.Also Reinhart finally got to play centre.As someone alluded to I never shook my head at the lineup like in the past.I would feel very comfortable with Granato but also I want the top coaches available interviewed and go from there.We definitely need to keep Reinhart at centre however
I get all that but still was last or near last in the NHL after hiring Granato. They gave up the most goals after hiring Granato. They did improve a little in goal scoring. Possession wise they were one of the worst possession teams under Granato, much worse than Krueger.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Granato is literally the only aspect of the Sabres that makes me excited for next season. It just seems like he gets it.
All I needed to hear from a coach was his quote from a few weeks back - “We know if we just play a system and you focus on trying to play that system, you're really not improving your skill or your ability at the NHL level."

In other words, let the young guys skate, create and score. That’s what they were drafted for.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
All I needed to hear from a coach was his quote from a few weeks back - “We know if we just play a system and you focus on trying to play that system, you're really not improving your skill or your ability at the NHL level."

In other words, let the young guys skate, create and score. That’s what they were drafted for.

His interviews have been great, saying all the right thing IMO. But even more important he seems to make really good adjustments and his line combos make sense.

I also have a fair amount of bias towards him since the Granato family is kind of big in Wisconsin. :)

Reactions: Reddawg

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I get all that but still was last or near last in the NHL after hiring Granato. They gave up the most goals after hiring Granato. They did improve a little in goal scoring. Possession wise they were one of the worst possession teams under Granato, much worse than Krueger.

He was working with a $45M team in a league with a $80M salary cap. You have to use different metrics to evaluate him.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Not to stick up for Granato on this because iam sitting on fence to be honest but when you have that type of goaltending along with like 6 rookies playing in the toughest division I think in NHL history your numbers won't be great.They just looked so much better especially Dahlin ,Mitts and Jokiharju. It was a relief that they excelled after Krueger was fired I was honestly very worried

Reactions: WoahBoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad