How does trading down work?

teal

Aug 8, 2006
How does trading down work? How did DW know that his guy (Goldobin) would still be there at 27? Is it kind of an 'insult' to be selected with a pick that was lower than your team's original pick? Or was the point really to acquire the 62nd pick as well?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
How does trading down work? How did DW know that his guy (Goldobin) would still be there at 27? Is it kind of an 'insult' to be selected with a pick that was lower than your team's original pick? Or was the point really to acquire the 62nd pick as well?

Because that's where he was ranked to go. They probably had the middle first Americans targeted (Larkin, Tuch, Milano, DeAngelo) but they didn't quite make it.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
There's nothing saying he was going after Goldobin when he traded down. He easily could have picked someone like Pastrnak (similar players). He probably saw a list of players available and was fine with anyone of them.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
There's nothing saying he was going after Goldobin when he traded down. He easily could have picked someone like Pastrnak (similar players). He probably saw a list of players available and was fine with anyone of them.

Apparently the Sharks scouts really liked Goldobin. He was picked in the correct range. The Sharks scouting staff really put in a lot of leg work in this draft to find kids with solid potential and certain characteristics.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Apparently the Sharks scouts really liked Goldobin. He was picked in the correct range. The Sharks scouting staff really put in a lot of leg work in this draft to find kids with solid potential and certain characteristics.

I honestly think they didn't care which of the kids left in that range they picked. You don't take that kind of chance if you have 1 specific kid in mind. To much can change in 5 picks to risk it.

Gigante

Sep 12, 2011

I think it's a combination of both of the above. Odds are, DW had a couple people he was good with at 20 and he expected they all wouldn't go between 20 and 27. By most lists Goldobin (ISS Ranking of No. 28) was expected to go around 27 so it's a risk DW considered to be worth it to move up the 6th rounder to an early 3rd (a pretty significant jump). If you can do this, and still end up with the person you would have picked at 20th, then it was worth it. The Blackhawks made the opposite move, and probably didn't think that Nick Schmaltz would be available at 27th (ISS Ranking of No. 24)

Btw, here's a nifty value chart for draft picks that gives some idea of the value between various draft picks in a pick-for-pick trade.

http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

I believe we received 467 value points vs. giving up 418 value points. So, not counting for which players were actually chosen, we "win" that trade. I think it's typical for the team trading down to "win" because those trading up are more likely to overpay in order to make the deal happen since they're the most interested in ensuring the trade happens to pick "their guy".

teal

Aug 8, 2006
I honestly think they didn't care which of the kids left in that range they picked. You don't take that kind of chance if you have 1 specific kid in mind. To much can change in 5 picks to risk it.

This makes the most sense to me. I would guess it's kind of a risk to trade down because you can't know who's going to get picked before you go then.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

They got their guy so its a moot point. Like many have said there wasn't much separation between 20-35. It was worth the risk. They picked up an extra pick out of the deal and ended up with one of the most offensively gifted forwards in the draft.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

Doug said in the post draft interview that they felt they could move down and still get him, while picking up another pick in the process.

Because that's where he was ranked to go. They probably had the middle first Americans targeted (Larkin, Tuch, Milano, DeAngelo) but they didn't quite make it.

If they wanted any of those guys specifically, they would've moved up to get them. That's what they said about Müller anyway. So they couldn't have felt so strongly about any guys that came before Goldobin.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada

Definitely. Look at last year when we paid too much to move up two spots for Mueller...

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Doug said in the post draft interview that they felt they could move down and still get him, while picking up another pick in the process.

If they wanted any of those guys specifically, they would've moved up to get them. That's what they said about Müller anyway. So they couldn't have felt so strongly about any guys that came before Goldobin.

Maybe but maybe they felt that one would fall. DW and co. moved up last year for Lazar but Mueller was a good consolation prize. Moving from 20 to 15 or 16 probably would have cost them a 2nd, which they wanted to keep.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maybe but maybe they felt that one would fall. DW and co. moved up last year for Lazar but Mueller was a good consolation prize. Moving from 20 to 15 or 16 probably would have cost them a 2nd, which they wanted to keep.

Lazar had already been drafted by the time they made the trade for Muller...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad