How does the expansion draft work?

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I wasn’t paying attention when Vegas had theirs.
Does it happen all at once, bam these are the players we are taking? Is there negotiations with teams before the selection process. Is it team by team? How is it presented?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I wasn’t paying attention when Vegas had theirs.
Does it happen all at once, bam these are the players we are taking? Is there negotiations with teams before the selection process. Is it team by team? How is it presented?

you mean the expansion draft?

The moment the nhl said the Kraken were an official club and could sign players, teams were able to talk about hey "do you want James neal for a 2nd"(note--I know that is not going happen--just an example).

Teams can also make deals where they will give the Kraken a pick NOT to take a player. But it wont be announced till the day of the draft.

You know the Calgary Flames are doing the hard sell to the Kraken to take Lucic off their hands and to give the Flames something of value.

Right now, teams are trying to convince the Kraken to take one of their bad contracts off their hands. As long as Francis stands his ground and does not become Mel Bridgeman part 2 (take a look at what Mel did when he started the Sens)

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area

The moment the nhl said the Kraken were an official club and could sign players, teams were able to talk about hey "do you want James neal for a 2nd"(note--I know that is not going happen--just an example).

Teams can also make deals where they will give the Kraken a pick NOT to take a player. But it wont be announced till the day of the draft.

You know the Calgary Flames are doing the hard sell to the Kraken to take Lucic off their hands and to give the Flames something of value.

Right now, teams are trying to convince the Kraken to take one of their bad contracts off their hands. As long as Francis stands his ground and does not become Mel Bridgeman part 2 (take a look at what Mel did when he started the Sens)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

The expansion draft rules are completely different now than when the Sens joined the league. It was even worse back in the 70's, teams got to protect just about every player. Teams like the Caps almost folded because they had no talent to draw an audience. (Bad drafting made it worse.)

The flat salary cap works to the Kraken's advantage, I can see a deal being made with Tampa. None of their contracts are really bad, they just have too many NTCs.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
If the question is- is it a timed, televised draft- then no. The entertainment is the week leading up to the draft where wheeling and dealing happen. In terms of the draft itself, teams submit their lists of available assets several days (possible week or two) prior to the draft, the kraken brain trust delegate, then submit their selections to the leauge in one shot on draft day.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It will be a televised draft but that won't be all that long.

Most deals will be done ahead of time and lists(of unprotected players) will be submitted four days before the expansion draft.

BTW: I wouldn't be surprised if there are already some deals done(but of course not made public) just like Vegas did for their expansion draft.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It will be a televised draft but that won't be all that long.

Most deals will be done ahead of time and lists(of unprotected players) will be submitted four days before the expansion draft.

BTW: I wouldn't be surprised if there are already some deals done(but of course not made public) just like Vegas did for their expansion draft.
Interesting read (McPhee before the expansion draft):

"On how many deals he has in place right now…
We don’t have anything, we have lots of things lined up. But until we see everything, we don’t have anything. We’re going to make all of our final decisions late because we don’t know what kind of calls we’re going to get today. They may be different than the calls the same manager may have different things to talk about today, now that we’re in the expansion window, than he did the last few days."

George McPhee Expansion Draft Interview Transcripts - SinBin.vegas

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That's what I meant.

There's probably already a couple of deals agreed upon or close to that but of course nothing is final until the 21st of July given the moving parts(players being traded before the ED, offers by other teams etc.) involved.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
That's what I meant.

There's probably already a couple of deals agreed upon or close to that but of course nothing is final until the 21st of July given the moving parts(players being traded before the ED, offers by other teams etc.) involved.
I doubt deals are already done, but Francis will listen. I don't see how he could without the actual exposure lists in front of him. I hope he says no to TB. They need to be fleeced.

Reactions: Gniwder

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I doubt deals are already done, but Francis will listen. I don't see how he could without the actual exposure lists in front of him. I hope he says no to TB. They need to be fleeced.

Vegas made that Fleury deal at the trading deadline in 2017.

I also said that deals could be agreed upon or close to that but not final until July 21st.

BTW: Why should he just say no to TB?

If they offer him picks and prospects to take someone like Tyler Johnson he should take a hard look at that and probably take it because it would benefit us as well.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Vegas made that Fleury deal at the trading deadline in 2017.

I also said that deals could be agreed upon or close to that but not final until July 21st.

BTW: Why should he just say no to TB?

If they offer him picks and prospects to take someone like Tyler Johnson he should take a hard look at that and probably take it because it would benefit us as well.
TB pick => Cal Foote, if TB wants to get out of cap hell, do a hockey trade after the expansion draft not during and fleece them when they lack options.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
TB pick => Cal Foote, if TB wants to get out of cap hell, do a hockey trade after the expansion draft not during and fleece them when they lack options.

I think we can achieve both things during the expansion draft.

Though, if they don't offer what we like we'll just take one of their younger guys and leave them with more decisions for the offseason.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
tl;dr

Circa July 15, league wide trade moratorium except for doing deals with Seattle.

Teams submit their "protected lists" (and exposed lists) on July 17 5pm ET. (I think these don't get released publicly for a day or so based on VGK expansion draft.)

July 17-21 - Seattle has window to talk with any UFAs (who would then be the guy to be selected from that team).

Seattle announces their 30 selections July 21 8pm ET (televised).
(Soon after, all the "side deals" get announced as to who was protected, selected.)

Trades allowed again. (And any extra players that Seattle picked can be traded, like VGK did with extra D.)

Reactions: Tao Jones

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think we can achieve both things during the expansion draft.

Though, if they don't offer what we like we'll just take one of their younger guys and leave them with more decisions for the offseason.
What could they possibly offer that is better than 1 of their top prospects? If TB wants help with their cap problem, they can wait until after the expansion draft, after the Kraken's roster start shaping up. I suggested Foote, thinking about pairing with Power.
Francis covets what was exempt from the expansion draft. His priority is NHL-ready prospects.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What could they possibly offer that is better than 1 of their top prospects? If TB wants help with their cap problem, they can wait until after the expansion draft, after the Kraken's roster start shaping up. I suggested Foote, thinking about pairing with Power.
Francis covets what was exempt from the expansion draft. His priority is NHL-ready prospects.
Making a deal for the expansion draft allows TB to get rid of a player with a NTC. That's why it's smarter for them to make a deal.

They already know what teams are asking for a salary dump, I'm sure they made a lot of phone calls before finding out Kuch was LTIR for the season. They also know nobody else wants to touch Tyler Johnson's contract. $15M buys a lot of prospects and/or picks.

Buy hey, if they don't want to make a deal, screw them and pick a cheap player. Let them negotiate with Stevie Y to dump salary, it'll cost more.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad