Equipment: how does skate size affect how you can skate?

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
My power skating instructor (Barbara Williams) thinks that my skates are too large. I have CCM U+12's in a 10.5, which I got a bit larger as my feet are still growing. She thinks I should go down to a 9.5 or 10. Will the little bit smaller make a difference in my skating abilities?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
If your skates are too big for you, yes, it'll make a difference. I've worn what felt like a size up at a public skate before as a rental, and I could barely stay up. Your skates should be the best-fitting piece of equipment you have, next to your helmet! Could you maybe get a cheap pair to use during your lessons, and then switch back to these ones once you grow into them?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
How big are your shoes?

Why is that relevant? There's no correlation.

My power skating instructor (Barbara Williams) thinks that my skates are too large. I have CCM U+12's in a 10.5, which I got a bit larger as my feet are still growing. She thinks I should go down to a 9.5 or 10. Will the little bit smaller make a difference in my skating abilities?

This is always a difficult scenario as it's very very costly to buy new skates every few months as your feet grow, especially if you hit growth spurts.

The best thing from a performance as well as value standpoint is for you to be fitted properly by a store given that you will be growing. They should be able to put you in a size that's bigger than your true size now, but not too big as to impact comfort and performance.

Why did she say that the skate size might be hampering you?

If your skates are too big for you, yes, it'll make a difference. I've worn what felt like a size up at a public skate before as a rental, and I could barely stay up. Your skates should be the best-fitting piece of equipment you have, next to your helmet! Could you maybe get a cheap pair to use during your lessons, and then switch back to these ones once you grow into them?

Well, that could be due to the poor quality of the rental, not necessarily the skate size. While skate fit is paramount, you need to consider the fact that parents cannot and do not want to spend on skates every few months. Everyone needs to find a happy medium.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY

This is always a difficult scenario as it's very very costly to buy new skates every few months as your feet grow, especially if you hit growth spurts.

The best thing from a performance as well as value standpoint is for you to be fitted properly by a store given that you will be growing. They should be able to put you in a size that's bigger than your true size now, but not too big as to impact comfort and performance.

Well, that could be due to the poor quality of the rental, not necessarily the skate size. While skate fit is paramount, you need to consider the fact that parents cannot and do not want to spend on skates every few months. Everyone needs to find a happy medium.

She thinks it hampers me due to speed, edge ability and so forth. Thinking I'm going to get a smaller pair of 12's, with the hockeymonkey sale, and then go back into the 10.5s when I grow some more. I love those skates

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Going to a smaller size and smaller holder/runner should help with where your weight is being distributed.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011

I seem to have conflicting opinions with you on a lot of things AIREAYE.. Not just this topic :)

His shoe size is relevant.. Not saying he shouldn't be properly fitted for skates

And all the points your instructor made are correct.. You won't be able to stand on your toes in skates too large.. Not that you do it often but you should be able too

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011

It might indicate a problem. If they wear size 10.5 shoes & purchased the same size of skate not understanding the difference in sizing, it would be a pretty good clue. Or maybe they wear size 9 shoe & bought larger skates which they hope to 'grow' into. I've seen it happen MANY times. Most of the poor fits that I've seen are skaters wearing long, standard width skates, where they should be wearing a shorter, wider skate that fits their foot type.

We simply can't assume that everyone with an issue has been fitted properly for the skates they wear.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It might indicate a problem. If they wear size 10.5 shoes & purchased the same size of skate not understanding the difference in sizing, it would be a pretty good clue. Or maybe they wear size 9 shoe & bought larger skates which they hope to 'grow' into. I've seen it happen MANY times. Most of the poor fits that I've seen are skaters wearing long, standard width skates, where they should be wearing a shorter, wider skate that fits their foot type.

We simply can't assume that everyone with an issue has been fitted properly for the skates they wear.

Ahh I see what you're getting at, good point.

What I meant was that you shouldn't use your shoe size as a ruler for grabbing skate size.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
A half size in length is NOT a big difference. A half size is only about 1/6th of an inch, however width really is important in my book. If your foot is loose or your heel is sliding around, you'll likely always have an issue skating. If the width is ok, a full size might make a difference but I doubt a half size will.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
A half size in length is NOT a big difference. A half size is only about 1/6th of an inch, however width really is important in my book. If your foot is loose or your heel is sliding around, you'll likely always have an issue skating. If the width is ok, a full size might make a difference but I doubt a half size will.

Great point.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
When I see younger guys skating at the rink I can't help but look at there skates and notice a lot are using skates way too large for them.. I am full grown 27 in a month 5'9 170lb and wear a size 9 shoe and 7.5D skate

I was guilty myself but I think the difference in shoe size and skate size is not common knowledge and alot of players are skating in clown shoes because they buy skates the size of there shoes

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Hello, sorry to bump an old thread but looking for advice:

My right foot is larger than my left foot. My left foot fits snuggly in Bauer 8.5 EE Nexus skates.

The right foot kills! The skate is too narrow. My feet at 9.5 EEE in shoes (that’s extra extra wide).

Should I go up to 9.5 EE skate for my right foot?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Should I go up to 9.5 EE skate for my right foot?

It's possible to stretch your skates wider and longer if necessary. I can't remember what the limits are for length, but I think 1/2 size isn't out of the question.

Generally speaking, you can make a skate that fights tight looser, but you can't make a loose fitting skate tighter. Sloppy fitting skates can cause you just as many issues as ones that fit too tight.

You should talk to your local shop and see what they can do for you in terms of stretching.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
It's possible to stretch your skates wider and longer if necessary. I can't remember what the limits are for length, but I think 1/2 size isn't out of the question.

Generally speaking, you can make a skate that fights tight looser, but you can't make a loose fitting skate tighter. Sloppy fitting skates can cause you just as many issues as ones that fit too tight.

You should talk to your local shop and see what they can do for you in terms of stretching.
They said they have punching

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
They said they have punching

Punching can work, but by your description, stretching might be better. Do you have other shops in your area that can do stretching? Have you talked to a fitter at a shop about your issues?

If the length of your skate is fine, going up a size probably isn't a great idea. It may fix the pain, but you'll probably have a sloppy fitting skate and that can be a recipe for creating foot issues for yourself.

I don't know if it's within budget for you, but have you thought about custom skates?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Custom would be expensive for someone growing, and they would soon grow out of them as they are tighter than regular skates.

Nearly two years ago I was sold Bauer Bapor x500 skates in size 8EE. I kept having very painful falls when one or both feet would shoot forwards. I was always moving slowly at the time. On one occasion I left blood on the ice from a head wound. Anyway, I eventually went to be refitted at a better shop, and came away with Bauer Supreme s160 skates in 7EE which fitted perfectly. I never once fell in the same way in almost two years, sure I fell lots but only when trying new moves. I still don’t know why I fell in the bigger skates, but maybe the balance point was out.

In my experience having good blades is critical, they have to be sharpened correctly and have the correct profile, my last runners were nearly flat, a fact I only discovered after buying new skates. Many if not most sharpeners are not experts to put it politely.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Punching can work, but by your description, stretching might be better. Do you have other shops in your area that can do stretching? We only have the one.

Have you talked to a fitter at a shop about your issues? In the past and this skate was the closest fit. I will go back soon.

If the length of your skate is fine, going up a size probably isn't a great idea. It may fix the pain, but you'll probably have a sloppy fitting skate and that can be a recipe for creating foot issues for yourself.

I don't know if it's within budget for you, but have you thought about custom skates? I have. It isn’t in the budget at the moment.
My shoe size is 9.5EEEE* not EEE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->