How does Burakovsky stack up to the rest of the 2013 draft class

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I've heard a number of people comment that they think Burakovsky would be a big riser in a re-draft. I don't want to go back and "redraft" everyone, just curious how many of the players that were taken ahead of him that you would trade for straight up. Draft list is below

1 Nathan MacKinnon (C)

2 Aleksander Barkov, Jr. (C)

3 Jonathan Drouin (LW)

4 Seth Jones (D)

5 Elias Lindholm (C)

6 Sean Monahan (C)

7 Darnell Nurse (D)

8 Rasmus Ristolainen (D)

9 Bo Horvat (C)

10 Valeri Nichushkin (LW)

11 Samuel Morin (D)

12 Max Domi (C)

13 Josh Morrissey (D)

14 Alexander Wennberg (C)

15 Ryan Pulock (D)

16 Nikita Zadorov (D)

17 Curtis Lazar (RW/C)

18 Mirco Mueller (D)

19 Kerby Rychel (LW)

20 Anthony Mantha (LW)

21 Frederik Gauthier (C)

22 Emile Poirier (LW)

23 Andre Burakovsky (LW)

I would 100% trade him for MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Ristolainen, and Nichushkin. As far as the rest of them go, I don't know them well enough to say. Any thoughts?

Paddis

Apr 18, 2014
Trondheim
I'd swap him for Mantha as well. Think Burakovsky and Mantha may be the two highest risers in a re-draft.

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
Well it looks like Nathan Mackinnon is going to be the best player in the league in the next few years so I'd gladly trade burakovsky for him :P

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
5 ahead of him.

MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Ristolainen and Nichuskin.

Halpysback*

MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Nichushkin
Drouin
Monahan
Zadorov
Nurse
Risto
Lindholm
Mantha
Burakovsky

Burakovsky95*

120 pts in 57 games is impressive. I've not really watched him play, what is his playing style like?

That's the Q for you though. He showed out at the WJCs as well but if he's above Burakovsky at all, it's only a minimal amount.

Mantha is really just a straight up goal scorer, real heavy shot, big frame. Think Rick Nash.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
GMGM said he saw him as top 5 in the draft.

“We watched him a lot at the World Junior Championship and look forward to seeing him sometime in the next few weeks. But we think we made a heck of a pick and maybe one of our best picks ever. This player has everything that we’re looking for in a player. He has size, he has speed, he really shoots the puck, he wants the puck in the tough situations when the game is on the line. He is a real good two-way player and he is about as smart as they come. I don’t think we have many players like him in terms of hockey IQ. He’s a really, really bright player. He is two or three plays ahead of most players. We are thrilled with that selection. For where we got this guy, he might be one of the best players in that draft. It’s almost like [Evgeni] Kuznetsov. I would put Kuznetsov in the top five in his draft and this guy, too. I think if this draft were done over again, he’d be in the top five for sure. He’s a star.”

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Am I the only one who'd put him at 5 or 6, depending on where you rank Nichuskin, maybe even 4 if you're not a Barkov fan.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I don't get the love for Lindholm to be honest.

The couple of times I saw him play this year he didn't look out of place in the NHL. Before the draft and before the Caps late season surge, I was hoping we might get a chance to draft him - reminded me of Backstrom...obviously it's unlikely that he will turn out that good.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Nichushkin
Drouin
Monahan
Nurse
Ristolainen
Lindholm

Are all definitely above him. I'd probably rank Mantha and Zadorov above him too, and possibly Wennberg also.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Burakovski is an european finesse weak winger.

Kuznetsov 4 years from draft is still weak for NHL game. Also tall and also lacks upper body strength. I do see similar body build in Burakovski.

So both should eat more and spend more time in the gym.

Then maybe their potential will translate to the ice.

Look at Tarasenko. He's much stronger and feeling OK in the Hitchcock's system at the 3rd line. Guys need to work harder.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Am I the only one who'd put him at 5 or 6, depending on where you rank Nichuskin, maybe even 4 if you're not a Barkov fan.

As much as I like the guy, you would have to be crazy to take him over Barkov.

2013 was a really deep draft. I could see him going somewhere between 7-12.

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
Burakovski is an european finesse weak winger.

Kuznetsov 4 years from draft is still weak for NHL game. Also tall and also lacks upper body strength. I do see similar body build in Burakovski.

So both should eat more and spend more time in the gym.

Then maybe their potential will translate to the ice.

Look at Tarasenko. He's much stronger and feeling OK in the Hitchcock's system at the 3rd line. Guys need to work harder.

St Louis don't have a third line as such though, Schwartz - Sobotka - Tarasenko is about a borderline top line.

Last edited:

armi5718

May 9, 2009
I watched the kid in Erie twice this year. He is a beauty. Speed, handles and a shot. Kid should be a great top 6 scorer.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Don't know how everyone has slept on Morin in this thread. I'd take Morin ahead of Burakovsky pretty easily. I know the Chris Pronger comparisson is pretty tired when discussing tall defensemen, but it does seem to fit Morin (right down to his crosscheck). He's got first pairing potential, without a doubt.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Don't know how everyone has slept on Morin in this thread. I'd take Morin ahead of Burakovsky pretty easily. I know the Chris Pronger comparisson is pretty tired when discussing tall defensemen, but it does seem to fit Morin (right down to his crosscheck). He's got first pairing potential, without a doubt.

I would argue that based on numbers Morin doesn't have anywhere close to the offensive game Pronger had coming out of juniors, even with making allowances for the differences in the number of goals scored then and now. Morin seems much more a Bryan Allen type IMO than Pronger...

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Big defenseman are sketchy, you never know if they are only good because they are playing in a league that averages 160 lbs per player..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad