How does Botterill fit in all these RH D-men?

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Jason Botterill has been shoring up the right side of the D this past year or so, after Ristolainen was the #1 D for quite a long time, a role he is ill-suited, at least at this point of his career.

However, late last season Botterill was able to acquire Brandon Montour from the Ducks for 31st overall and Guhle, and IMO, BM looked pretty damn good at only age 25 (D-men peak a bit later)

Many thought the writing was on the wall for Risto during that 2019 trade deadline, but not only did JB keep Risto, but this off-season he also acquired Colin Miller from Vegas and Henri Jokiharju from Chicago. (all RH D)

Watching Borgen this preseason, he looks like he deserves a spot within a couple years or so, he's gritty, physical, positionally exceptional, great classic defensive D-man that this team needs.

Problem is, he also plays the right side.

So the depth chart on the right now looks like: (all 18-19 season)
1. Rasmus Ristolainen: .551 PPG
2. Colin Miller .446 PPG
3. Brandon Montour: .426 PPG
4. Henri Jokiharju .315 PPG
5. Will Borgen .197 PPG*
*(in AHL)

Does Botterill have a RD surplus problem?

Borgen looks like he deserves a look within a year or so, Jokiharju has proven he can play in the NHL at 19 and will deserve opportunity soon, Miller might be the most well-rounded, solid d-man of the bunch, Risto's D play and decision making has been non-surreptitiously criticized, and Montour looks like a new school puck moving D man that any team would need- and came at a fairly large price.

How does Botterill fit everyone in?
Who gets traded? I can't imagine Risto's trade value is sky high right now.
Can any RH D play the left side?
Where does Borgen fit in a few years? Right now he seems like a lock on #4 at best on the depth chart.

Thoughts?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Jokiharju to the AHL until Montour is back and Risto is traded seems the most logical. Borgen on the team.

Reactions: Sabreality

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Risto, Miller, Joker untill Montour gets back, with Borgen in the A. When Montour is healthy send Joker down as he is waivers exempt.

If Risto is traded at any point, call up Borgen/Joker to fill that spot.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Great ideas everyone, but even if Risto is traded, how does Borgen establish himself behind
1. Miller
2. Montour
3. Jokiharju
???

How rare is it for a a LD to be right handed? Can Borgen or Jokiharju be developed as LD?

*edit*:

Miller becomes UFA 2022-2023, get value for him in 2023 deadline and let Borgen grind it out in Rochester for three more years?

In 2020-2021, Montour is an RFA.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
At this point I would be fine with Bogo pulling a Hunwick and missing the entire season. Even if he does return at some point and looks good it is only a matter of time before he hurts himself again. By far the most injury prone player I have ever seen. Even worse then LaFontaine.

I cannot wait for the Bogo era to be over. He is just not worth being rostered let alone paid his ridiculous AAV. Bogo is likely out of the league within 3 years.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Miller can play both sides quite well, not neccassary once Pilut is back.

Likely, Jokiharju & Borgen both start in ROC provided Pilut is close to ready. I would also waive Scandella at this point as he has looks terrible.

Ideally, when healthy... Assuming Ristolainen dealt.
1. Dahlin-Montour
2. McCabe-Miller
3. Pilut-Bogosian
X.Gilmour-Nelson
Waived; Scandella

Amerks,
1. Scandella-Jokiharju
2. Hickey-Borgen
3. Bryson-Fitzgerald
X. Stephens

If/when Bogo goes down Joki or Borgen slot right in at pair #3...

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
giphy.gif

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My question: why did we load up on RHD's when judging by trade value by position they appear to have just about the lowest value? When some have to be moved we are likely to get back almost nothing of any value compared to forward prospects.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
My question: why did we load up on RHD's when judging by trade value by position they appear to have just about the lowest value? When some have to be moved we are likely to get back almost nothing of any value compared to forward prospects.

Outside of top 6 centers, RHD has historically been the most valued position in hockey.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Outside of top 6 centers, RHD has historically been the most valued position in hockey.
But right now for whatever reason you can get one for the cost of a large double double from Tims, so apparently we had a paradigm shift in the past few years.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
But right now for whatever reason you can get one for the cost of a large double double from Tims, so apparently we had a paradigm shift in the past few years.
Botts saw that episode of Ducktales where the bad guy buys all the cards of a crappy baseballer and then destroys them to make them increase in value. By getting all these rhd he increased Ristos value by 4.3%

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->