How do you rate the international tournaments?

Bupi

Jul 26, 2006
And I hate elitist **** like this. Seriously, how does it take anything away from you if people celebrate a win? The championship united people (well except you and those "soccer society" idiots) which is a good thing. I couldn't care less if they watch 1, 2, 10, 20 or 50 matches a season - they are no worse than me, you or anyone.

This is exactly what I hate about us Finns: we just have to find something to b**** and moan about regardless of the situation.
Sorry if I expressed myself wrong. I hate the tournament and the "respect" it has here. Would those same people watch the games and celebrate if the tournament would be played with same structure and same players and would be called Karjala-turnaus instead of World Championships? Doubt it.

Seriously... when you're world champion you beat the second and third bests in the world. Not that trash that participate these "World Championships".

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Seriously... when you're world champion you beat the second and third bests in the world. Not that trash that participate these "World Championships".

I get where you're coming from, but when the "trash" Finland beat includes names like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, your tirade is way over the top.

TheMuumio

Nov 26, 2009
Sorry if I expressed myself wrong. I hate the tournament and the "respect" it has here. Would those same people watch the games and celebrate if the tournament would be played with same structure and same players and would be called Karjala-turnaus instead of World Championships? Doubt it.

Ah ok, I misunderstood. But still I find it refreshing that people have reasons to be happy. There's not enough happiness in Finland and any stuff like this is good because it gives something to cheer for.
And even though it's not a best-on-best tournament it's good hockey nonetheless with teams like Russia almost running an olympic lineup.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
General:

Olympics
-
(World Cup)
-
WJC
-
-
-
-
WC

But, what I want more than anything right now is a WJC-gold after defeating Canada in the final, taking place in Canada.

Bupi

Jul 26, 2006
I get where you're coming from, but when the "trash" Finland beat includes names like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, your tirade is way over the top.
Please compare the rosters of teams Canada and Sweden with the ones they had in Olympics.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Please compare the rosters of teams Canada and Sweden with the ones they had in Olympics.

Who are you trying to argue with using these strawman arguments? Obviously the world championships are not at the same level as the Olympics (Torino silver is still Finland's best achievement ever, imo), but that doesn't mean this tournament had just trash as participants.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
How do us Canadians stand watching the WJC when some teams don't release their players to participate? Just a B team tournament.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
How do us Canadians stand watching the WJC when some teams don't release their players to participate? Just a B team tournament.
The difference is nobody refuses to play at the WJC, whilst plenty say no to the WCh. Although a few players are absent, we do get most of our best players at the WJC. For the WCh, we're lucky if we get one of our best.

WJC = A- team
WCh = B or C team

and that's for all countries, not just us.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
I talked this with some of my Swedish friends and they were pretty clear that it was 1.Olympics 2. WHC 3. WJC (My opinion aswell)

But after the final game againts Finland (1-6! piece of cake ;)), it seems that they have all changed the top three to this 1. Olympics 2. WJC 3. WHC

Maybe it's the case here too, maybe not. :D:D

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
The difference is nobody refuses to play at the WJC, whilst plenty say no to the WCh. Although a few players are absent, we do get most of our best players at the WJC. For the WCh, we're lucky if we get one of our best.

WJC = A- team
WCh = B or C team

and that's for all countries, not just us.

Put Canadian WJC winning Team against Finnish WCh winning team and you´ll see which is closer to A-level hockey. WCh-team would crush juniors.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Put Canadian WJC winning Team against Finnish WCh winning team and you´ll see which is closer to A-level hockey. WCh-team would crush juniors.
All the available players want to be a part of WJC though. That should tell you something about the prestige of the tournament.

Nobody doubts that the WC is higher level than WJC. However, that doesn't mean the tournament is more exciting. As I said in a previous post, WJC is a uniqe opportunity to watch many prospects for the very first time. With that perspective, it doesn't really matter if some juniors feature in NHL instead of WJC, as there are always plenty of opportunities to watch those when they play in NHL.

Besides, can't really see the point with stating that WC is higher level than WJC. KHL is higher level than all other european leagues, but that doesn't necessarily make KHL the most exciting league in Europe.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
All the available players want to be a part of WJC though. That should tell you something about the prestige of the tournament.

Nobody doubts that the WC is higher level than WJC. However, that doesn't mean the tournament is more exciting. As I said in a previous post, WJC is a uniqe opportunity to watch many prospects for the very first time. With that perspective, it doesn't really matter if some juniors feature in NHL instead of WJC, as there are always plenty of opportunities to watch those when they play in NHL.

Besides, can't really see the point with stating that WC is higher level than WJC. KHL is higher level than all other european leagues, but that doesn't necessarily make KHL the most exciting league in Europe.

WJC is just a junior tournament. For me it was much more exciting to see Granlund to play against big boys than what it would have been in WJC.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
WJC is just a junior tournament. For me it was much more exciting to see Granlund to play against big boys than what it would have been in WJC.
You'd had the chance to watch many more prospects than just Granlund though. Probably alot who you didn't already know.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
1) Olympics
2) WJC

Don't watch any of the others.
HFBoards is how I found out that Russia beat Canada in the quarters and that Finland won it all in the WHC (wasn't expecting that! Congrats to Finland!).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think he meant that Canada sends its A team to the WJC, but only it's B/C team to the WC. Not that they compare to each other in anyway.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For myself:
Olympics
World Championships

World Cup

NHL Playoffs

WJC

I wouldn't rank the World Cup as high as the World Championships because it's basically a North American rules tournament. Don't put a ton of stock into the world juniors & don't get why people here get so stocked about watching kids play anyhow.

Well consider that there's 6 NHL teams in Canada compared to 60 Major Junior teams. While the NHL teams are located in the biggest population center here, you'll find a CHL team in most small-mid sized cities across Canada giving it very good coverage.

Nekz

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 8, 2007
New York
Olympics.. and that's about it. If the WC didn't take place during the NHL playoffs I would consider them something, but I only watched them to see how the Ranger players faired. Could really care less who won/loss.

Olympics normally have the best of the best while the WC were simply players who aren't in the NHL playoffs or weren't injured/resting/cared. Should push it into the middle of summer.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Olympics
World Cup
World Junior
World Championship
U18

Best on best tournaments are automatically far ahead of all the others. The Olympics with NHLers is ahead of the World Cup because some players still turn down the World Cup. If the Olympics do not have NHLers the results are meaningless and it would be in last place. World Juniors over World Championships is mostly just personal preference, I find the games exciting and enjoy that more of the best available players go to that tournament. U18 has hardly any profile in Canada, and the teams we send are generally lacking most of the best players, so I don't really care about the results at all. I haven't seen enough of that tournament to properly rate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad