How do you rate the international tournaments?

Dangler99*

1.Olympics
2.World Championships. (Still Professional Players)

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Olympics
SC play-offs
World Championships
WJC

I guess I'd care more about the juniors if Germany
did good there.

I'm too young to really remember the World Cup
and I would not particularly care about a cup that only makes money for the NHL.

You registered here 2002 and you are too young to remember the World Cup? :help:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
For me it's probably:

Olympics
WJC
WC
U-18

I dunno I've been really interested in WJC lately.

Canada cup/World cup seems to be a obsolete tournament

When it come to watching league games I go with

Djurgården games
SM-slutspelet
Stanley cup
NHL regular season
SEL regular season
Allsvenskan
Superelit
KHL
European trophy

I watch a lot of hockey, when I have the chance.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
You registered here 2002 and you are too young to remember the World Cup? :help:

I was really young then (2004 right?) and no I didn't follow it all for some reason.
Had slow internet, German TV didn't show it and streaming wasn't really and option back then.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
going with only international events..
1.olympics
2.world cup
3.world championships (only behind world cup because cup has virtually all hands on deck and championships don't.

WJC is a totally different entity for me. love but i don't really compare it with any mens tournaments.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I was really young then (2004 right?) and no I didn't follow it all for some reason.
Had slow internet, German TV didn't show it and streaming wasn't really and option back then.

If you can't remember 2004 then you definitely can't remember Germany's greatest moment, that 7-1 victory over the Czechs in the 96 World Cup. I'm 99% sure Jagr was playing for the Czechs too.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Olympics
World Cup
--
--
WJC
--
--
--
--
--
--
WHC

care least of all about u18, IIHF version or Ivan Hlinka. don't know if either are even televised here?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If you can't remember 2004 then you definitely can't remember Germany's greatest moment, that 7-1 victory over the Czechs in the 96 World Cup. I'm 99% sure Jagr was playing for the Czechs too.

Greatest moment was 1976 Olympics, although if you mean single game, you are right.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
1) Olympics. It's such a big stage and the best players feature (at least did in the last ones).

2) WJC. First time I get to see the hyped prospects from other countries. Usually offensive tactics.

3) WC. Exciting to see how prospects do against established players, and nice to see some legends' swan songs.

4) Euro Hockey Tour. Always get some free tickets so it deserves to be on the list. Can't say that I care about the results though.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
NHL and Stanley Cup playoffs
Olympic Games
World Cup of Hockey
WJC
U18

Not interested:

World Championships
European Hockey Tour
Spengler Cup
European league play

For me, the emphasis is on the best players in the world playing the best players in the world. The WJC and U18 take a very narrow slice in terms of an age bracket from which to draw players, so it isn't representative of a country's total strength, but it is best on best for that age range and if you look at results for, say, the last five years, it helps to determine which countries are and are not developing talent. The WJC also provides a useful pre-draft look at NHL prospects.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
1. Olympics
2. World Championships.

These to are the only international tournaments of value to the real world.

WJC and U-18 are only important for those at that age and in the tourney. It's a kids tournament, just wrapped in some good label. Sure it's nice to watch some prospect, but it isn't more imporant than like euro hockey tour.

You can compare those tournaments to Norway Cup, Dana Cup and Gothia Cup in soccer.

Last edited:

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Stanley Cup
Olympics (watch the whole thing, or as much as I can)
Canada Cup (or equivalent) (watch the whole thing, or as much as I can)
WJC (watch Canada games)
Memorial Cup (would watch the whole thing if the Vancouver Giants were in it)
WC (might watch the final if Canada is involved)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad