How do you pronounce Van Reimsdyk

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
If its van Reimsdyk, than it's van rhymesdyk (dyk as in nieuwendyk).
If its van Riemsdyk, than it's van reemesdyk.

'van' should be lose, no capital.

That would be the proper Dutch pronounciation..

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
If its van Reimsdyk, than it's van rhymesdyk (dyk as in nieuwendyk).
If its van Riemsdyk, than it's van reemesdyk.

'van' should be lose, no capital.

That would be the proper Dutch pronounciation..

I guess the fact that he's an American makes it a bit more difficult. My mother's surname is pronounced completely different in Italian than in American English.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Proper spelling and pronunciation

This is straight from the horse's mouth. I interviewed James vanRiemsdyk three weeks ago.

The last name is one word, no space. and the "v" is lower case. I asked the media guy with the U.S. NTDP and James himself. I got the same answer both times, so I know I heard it properly. It also jives with what is on the USA Hockey website.

Also, the pronunciation of his last name is "van-REEMS-dike".

:teach:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This is straight from the horse's mouth. I interviewed James vanRiemsdyk three weeks ago.

The last name is one word, no space. and the "v" is lower case. I asked the media guy with the U.S. NTDP and James himself. I got the same answer both times, so I know I heard it properly. It also jives with what is on the USA Hockey website.

Glad to hear that ISS is showing more care when it comes to spelling. Usually they have more names spelled wrong than anyone else, so it's nice to think that might change.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Glad to hear that ISS is showing more care when it comes to spelling. Usually they have more names spelled wrong than anyone else, so it's nice to think that might change.

As the new editor of our reports (hired in October), I'd like to think that has already changed. And, by all means, if anybody notices that we have a player's name misspelled, please tell us. [email protected] (and provide a link or phone number so we can verify it) or post it in here. I'm in here fairly often.

Cheers. :cheers:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Since you've had some recent contact with him, what's your take on his prospects for the draft? Definate top ten selection or higher? I know you have him at three, do you think that will stick?

BCCHL inactive

And he's American, not Dutch, so the pronunciation isn't always what we'd expect.

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see and hear of people who don't pronounce there own name right. For me, it's about respect for your roots.

van Riemsdyk (that is how is SHOULD be spelled, no matter how he does it) may be a born American, but he obviously has Dutch ancestry.

Other examples...

-Bouwmeester = bouw-mayster
-Hamhuis = ham-hows (not ham-hews)
-Drazenovic (going local in PG) = drazeno-vich (not 'vick') ..even Joe Sakic should be sack-ich.
-anybody not pronouncing the 'er' as 'ay' at the end of a French name.

There are probably many others, but I'll stop now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see and hear of people who don't pronounce there own name right. For me, it's about respect for your roots.

van Riemsdyk (that is how is SHOULD be spelled, no matter how he does it) may be a born American, but he obviously has Dutch ancestry.

Other examples...

-Drazenovic (going local in PG) = drazeno-vich (not 'vick') ..even Joe Sakic should be sack-ich.

I think Joe's parents did the right thing by changing the family name from Sack-itch to Sack-ick.

BCCHL inactive

I think Joe's parents did the right thing by changing the family name from Sack-itch to Sack-ick.

Considering his parents (Marijan and Slavica) are from Croatia, I would think a more likely scenario is that it was probably just a progression to the "americanized" pronunciation when he started school as a kid and worked his way through the minor hockey ranks. Looking up wikipedia, Joe Sakic didn't start speaking English until he was 5 years old.

My high school got my name wrong for 5 years, no matter how many times I gave them written corrections on how to spell it. I think that's where I get the pet peeve from.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Other examples...

It's not an issue of respect. It's just an issue of being in a foreign environment. That stuff is bound to happen. In fact, it has to happen. Let's use North America as an example - if names didn't change, we'd be pronouncing sounds that aren't in our language (look at Hamhuis and Sakic; borderline examples, because we have similar sounds, but those are unnatural sounds for English speakers and it wouldn't sound right).

My own last name (German) isn't pronounced German for the simple fact that I'm Canadian, and grew up in an English-speaking area. It's not a lack of respect, it's just the way it happens.

BCCHL inactive

It's not an issue of respect. It's just an issue of being in a foreign environment. That stuff is bound to happen. In fact, it has to happen. Let's use North America as an example - if names didn't change, we'd be pronouncing sounds that aren't in our language (look at Hamhuis and Sakic; borderline examples, because we have similar sounds, but those are unnatural sounds for English speakers and it wouldn't sound right).

My own last name (German) isn't pronounced German for the simple fact that I'm Canadian, and grew up in an English-speaking area. It's not a lack of respect, it's just the way it happens.

It doesn't "have to happen", I believe people should have respect for their ancestry, and I believe pronouncing names the way they are supposed to be pronounced is part of it. If you don't think so, that's your choice.

You speak as if pronouncing names the way they were meant to be is wrong just because they aren't of English origin.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It doesn't "have to happen", I believe people should have respect for their ancestry, and I believe pronouncing names the way they are supposed to be pronounced is part of it. If you don't think so, that's your choice.

You speak as if pronouncing names the way they were meant to be is wrong just because they aren't of English origin.
"Meant to be"? Languages change, and so do the pronunciation of names. It's not as if names are said now the way they originally were. Is that disrespectful?

I don't think you can argue the point about sounds not existing in all languages - it's like saying the Earth is flat. If you think it's a matter of respect and not just natural language patterns, you had better be doing a lot of research to make sure you're getting pretty much every name you come across right. Every sound, no matter how unfamiliar or difficult, the correct stress, correct tone, correct vowel length (extremely difficult), etc. I guess that would even mean not pronouncing post-vocalic r in English names, for example, but making sure it is pronounced in Irish names. And these are just a few examples. I get the feeling you don't do that. So you can see why it's just natural to adopt names into the English pattern.

I know personally if you can up to me, and said my last name to me the way it's pronounced in German, that would be disrespectful to me (unless we were in a German conversation), because it's not my name.

BCCHL inactive

I know personally if you can up to me, and said my last name to me the way it's pronounced in German, that would be disrespectful to me (unless we were in a German conversation), because it's not my name.

Names are given, not chosen. That's my opinion, and you're not going to change it.

Using my high school as an example, you can get it wrong until I correct you. After that, if you keep getting it wrong (general pronunciation and spelling), you're disrespecting me (high school did it for 5 years).

My name is Dutch, not Canadian. That's not to say I'm not proud of being Canadian. I just have respect and pride in my Dutch roots.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Names are given, not chosen. That's my opinion, and you're not going to change it.

Using my high school as an example, you can get it wrong until I correct you. After that, if you keep getting it wrong (general pronunciation and spelling), you're disrespecting me (high school did it for 5 years).

My name is Dutch, not Canadian. That's not to say I'm not proud of being Canadian. I just have respect and pride in my Dutch roots.
I'm not trying to change your opinion. It's fine if it's your opinion - it just seems strange you expect people to pronounce your name in the "Dutch" way, but my guess is you don't take the effort to do the same for other people. I also imagine they don't care at all.

Do you mean general pronunciation or Dutch pronunciation?

I'm proud of my roots too; I wouldn't have learned German or Icelandic if I wasn't. I also realize there's a time and a place for using them and expecting them to be used, and it's not among English speakers unless that's the topic of conversation. Have you ever used the words Copenhagen, Rome, Moscow, Cairo, Beijing, Warsaw, Prague, etc? Same thing. I wouldn't say it's disrespectful at all to use the English versions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->