How do you guys wash your equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clancy

May 15, 2004
South Jersey
My stuff always smells, i never really know what to do to make it smell better. Usually i just air it out either in my garage or backyard, sometime using like a fabric refreshener spray, but that usually doesn't work too well.

I can't put them in my washer,either, because it's not front-loading so my chest pads and pants definately wouldn't be able to fit in there without getting messed up.

Any tips you guys can give?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I think my mom always mixed some ammonia and soapy water to soak my pants and shoulder pads in to take the smell away, did the same in the washer too with my other stuff. Couldn't tell you for sure though.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I stopped wearing the shoulder pads and nothing else really gets too nasty. If that isn't an option our rink has a booth set up and a company that washes hockey gear on site. It's a franchise but I don't remember the name of it. I'll get the name of the company and you can see if a local rink near you has the same thing or maybe you can suggest that to them and see if they'll set one up. I'll get back to you.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Most of my stuff I usually soak in the bathtub with a mix of water and Lestoil (kinda like Pine Sol). About the only things I can't soak are my goalie pads so I hand wash those.

ju87

May 2, 2005
South Bay
BooBlancRouge said:
Most of my stuff I usually soak in the bathtub with a mix of water and Lestoil (kinda like Pine Sol). About the only things I can't soak are my goalie pads so I hand wash those.

this is what i do as well, except i use a bit of bleach to kill whatever may be growing on the gear. drying can be a pain though if you live in a humid climate.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I found out the name of the place at my rink and the web address. It's called Esporta and the web address is www.esporta.ca Just click on "Find a cleaning center" and put in your zip code and see if there is one close by.

Clancy

May 15, 2004
South Jersey
MassiveHabs said:
Wash, equipment? EH!? Whats this...I just hide mine where no one else can smell it, I think somebodys afraid of the smell? :sarcasm:

lol nah i've dealt with the smell for a good 4 years now, but at almost 17 it's getting to be pretty bad. and i'm going to be playing a lot more hockey so i wanted to find some other ways to keep it from getting too raunchy. i've had it 03'd before but it's pretty expensive, i think it was $30. lately i've just been letting it dry outside.

keep the tips coming though guys

Mat

i remember seeing those things when i was in an arena in Ile Bizard, QU

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
get shin pads with detachable liners and wash those in the machine with your elbow pads. i get my gloves outside as much as possible and hose em down with funk free/febreeze or whatevers available - nothing really matters with gloves though. thats the only stuff that smells real bad with me. i try to wash jerseys and socks every couple of games....jerseys are the source of some nasty funkilitis.

could you take your goalie chest stuff to a laundramat with one of those huge washers?

chum

Feb 27, 2002
1, i don't wash my equipment
2, i always dry my equipment
3, my current apt has no place (indoor) for me to dry, so i sorta leave it on the lawn (except skates, of course) sometimes it gets wet by sprinkler but sun dries it out afterwards (yay for californian sun). that's sorta how they get washed (before i moved here, 2 months ago, i never have them "washed")

JeffW

Apr 2, 2005
A woman I know puts her sons gear in the dishwasher. She says it does a great job.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
I don't wash mine either. Just let the equipment dry out fully. If you want to help cut down on the smell, you can spray a little Febreeze (not a lot, mind you) onto the cloth part of your pads and into your gloves.

Again don't use a lot, you don't want to soak the pads or your gloves. It should be enough to mask the smell (my wife taught me this trick after not being able to stand the smell of my equipment).

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Take your skates off then hop in the shower it does wonder........

I'm just kidding, I don't wash anything, I dry it only

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
I use Vacuum Free Foam Carpet deodorizer made by Arm & Hammer . Just spray it on and let it dry ,no vacuuming required and it covers the smell much better than that Febreeze stuff until the next time it gets sweaty.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
BClanc159 said:
My stuff always smells, i never really know what to do to make it smell better. Usually i just air it out either in my garage or backyard, sometime using like a fabric refreshener spray, but that usually doesn't work too well.

I can't put them in my washer,either, because it's not front-loading so my chest pads and pants definately wouldn't be able to fit in there without getting messed up.

Any tips you guys can give?

wash equipment? thats blasphemy...dont you know all the greats never wash their equipment?

but seriously...the bathtub or dishwasher are good ideas. ive used em and they work....or just dry your equipement...just dont wash your jock with something red....my buddy came into the dressing room with a pink jock one day...man did he get it...

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Do what I did. I left my garage unlocked and some punk broke in and stole all my hockey equipment. The next week I went out and bought all brand new equipment. It gets rid of the smell and gets you new gear, but on the downside its really expensive and a pain in the *** breakin everything in. ;)

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
I also Sun Dry my equipment. My shin pads have removable linings that I wash with my jerseys, under-armor etc..

I will spray my shoulders, elbow pads, inside of gloves and inside of skates with Lysol Disinfecting spray.

My gloves seem to stink the most. I will also soak them in liquid fabric softner.

B-MEL

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Not too sound like a nagger but:

Drying your equipment out as soon as you get home will go a long way in cutting down the smell. It's when it sits in a closed bag that things rot and get funky.

Another tip, keep as little as possible in the bag. Only bring the neccessary equipment. Don't keep the Home Socks, Road Socks, the 2 pairs of Practice Socks and the 3 skate towels you have in the bag. They do nothing but collect bacteria, bad smells and increase the weight of the bag.

:teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad