Proposal: How do you go 3 C deep without losing anything?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Love the new avi. Jon Hamm is a national (American) treasure.

Unfortunately don't see how it's possible to go 3C. Just way too few good forwards and I'm not paid enough to figure out how to fix that.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Having three good centers simply does not work if you have no wingers.
Has there ever been a star like mcdavid that has had to put up with the laughable wingers he has been given lately?

I'd rather load up on two lines as much as you can like we have in the past. I don;t even mind going back to Drai with mcdaivd on one super line because we win games when those guys score multiple goals.

Reactions: TheRebuild

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
IMO the biggest strength is they could possibly go McD, Drai, RNH down the middle and have them all play on the PP together.

Hmmm lets see, we do lack wingers but lets see what we can make out of this:

Neal/McD/Kassian
Haas/Draisitl/Yammo
Jujar/RNH/Gagner - Not a fan of Jujar but RNH seems to get something out of him
Nyguard/Sheahan/Archie]

We might be better off shopping....unless we can grab a couple of cheap wingers?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
incoming trade... I just talked to my friend who does have ties and he said to me he heard nothing coming down the pipeline .so what that tells me there is a trade in the next 48 hrs......this post is said in fun and I am not saying a trade will happen

Reactions: AM

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
incoming trade... I just talked to my friend who does have ties and he said to me he heard nothing coming down the pipeline .so what that tells me there is a trade in the next 48 hrs......this post is said in fun and I am not saying a trade will happen
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Hmmm lets see, we do lack wingers but lets see what we can make out of this:

Neal/McD/Kassian
Haas/Draisitl/Yammo
Jujar/RNH/Gagner - Not a fan of Jujar but RNH seems to get something out of him
Nyguard/Sheahan/Archie]

We might be better off shopping....unless we can grab a couple of cheap wingers?

Now Im close to 99% confident, some forward with NHL quality will be added.
But if we go with 3 centers, I would bunker up three lines with the best overall skill.
And a 4th line with energy and speed, centered by Sheahan.

Archibald McDavid Kassian - I think Archibald is better suited than Neal for playing time here.
Neal Draisaitl Yamamoto - Neal gonna drag them down. But ok..
Kharia Nuge Haas - Haas has been the problemchild in this team. But Im willing to give him a last chance. I think he could score a few good goals.
Nygård Sheahan Benson - Benson is the future, and a warrior. Bye bye Chiasson.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I dont think they have enough wingers to really run McDavid -> Drai -> RNH down the middle.

To be honest, I wanted a 3C on this team for the longest time. I think Sheahan and Haas have been pretty good though. Tippett just has to learn to use Haas more. I think if Holland can get someone who can play with McDavid on the wing, it will push several wingers down the lineup and ultimately make the bottom 6 lines better.

Reactions: 29292929

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
I’ve personally seen enough of RNH at Center and think he’s better served playing wing. Go out and get a real 3c either at the deadline if possible or in the summer. RNH just doesn’t have much for offence when he’s playing Center and being relied on to create offence.

Oct 15, 2017
McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Sheahan
Haas

All in every lineup almost so who's coming out? Or who's going to be put on the wing when they aren't natural winger?!? Stop trying to make people play positions they weren't drafted as.

If it's a must which I don't think it is, Tierney would be my go-to. I agree McDavid having more skill is way more important to me that's why I would do an Ennis Tierney trade. Get more wing skill and f/o wins

Reactions: Anarchism

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

giphy.gif

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
We will have to give up something of value but that value can be something that won't meaningfully contribute to the Oilers until 2024.

We don't have enough wingers to make 2 C work, let alone 3. Our #1 priority should be to get a legitimate top 6 winger to play with McDavid. The Penguins dump trash onto Crosby's line but even that trash is better than what we saddle McDavid with.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Exhaust the options in the AHL 1st before going outside and paying up big assets for someone who may or may not work out on the Oilers... or who may not even want to stay within the org.

The advantage of having Benson/Currie/Marody/Gambardella type players is that they have actually developed within the org and in theory anyway should have a little more loyalty to this team rather than a player traded here from elsewhere who likely have 28+ other locations in the NHL they'd rather be.

If eve a couple of Benson/Currie/Marody/Gambardella work out as good roster players (which is an excellent possibility)... that gives the team a lot more flexibility down the middle as well as better wingers often leads to better centres symbiotically as well.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Montreal or Ottawa would be the good options at the trade deadline to get a few players to run 3 solid lines. Tatar and Kovalchuk from Montreal or Namestnikov and Ennis from Ottawa.

Neal-Mcdavid-Kassian
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kovalchuk-RNH-Chaisson

OR

Neal-Mcdavid-Kassian
Ennis-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Namestnikov-RNH-Chaisson

Or we could trade for Pageau and one of Ennis or Namestnikov

Neal-Mcdavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis/Namestnikov-Pageau-Chaisson

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I’ve personally seen enough of RNH at Center and think he’s better served playing wing. Go out and get a real 3c either at the deadline if possible or in the summer. RNH just doesn’t have much for offence when he’s playing Center and being relied on to create offence.

This.

RNH seems far more impactful at wing vs. at centre. So leave him there, and get another body (or 2) to strengthen the bottom 6.

Personally I think a speedy 3rd/4th LW for Sheahan & Archibald is a must, while a #3 centre/RW is luxury, but not needed.

If you could get Buffalo to retain, I'd have a decent bit of time for Frolik or Girgensons

RNH/Neal-McDavid-Kassian
RNH/Neal-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-Haas-Chiasson/Gagner
Frolik-Sheahan-Archibald

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Agreed. I like Nuge way better as a winger. Think he’s pretty much revitalizing his career in front of our eyes with the move to wing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
IMO the biggest strength is they could possibly go McD, Drai, RNH down the middle and have them all play on the PP together.

Then we to add 3 good wingers

xxx McDavid Kassian
Xxx Draisaitl Yamamoto
Xxx RNH Neal would rather move Neal and add a rw as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad